Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Roxy (6 mos old) has had this lump above her eye.  It sorta feels like it has fluid in it?  And it looks like she's losing hair there.  Any ideas what it could be?  I'm SO not wanting to go to the vets, again!  

In the one pic she is kind of blinking, it doesn't really push her eye closed like that.

Ann

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
This could be so many things. Something impacted, a bug bite or sting, a cyst, so many possibilities. I don't like to mess around with the eyes, you should get her to the vet. I don't think anyone really enjoys going to the vet, but I think this warrants a visit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks like it may be an abcess. Take her to the vet so it can be drained and they'll put her on antibiotics. Don't let it go too long. An abcess is an infection under the skin, and left untreated she could lose her sight or worse lose her life.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is kind of hard to tell from the picture....But, if it came up quick it could be some kind of bite.  However if it feels fluid filled regardless of what caused it, it probably needs to be drained.  Also, with the hair loss there are certain types of mange that originate around the eyes....I agree it is something that your vet needs to see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses.  I called the vets, but she can't be seen until Thursday.  The person on the phone said it sounds like Cherry Eye, but when I looked that up it up I don't think so.  

Update: it was not cherry eye, but mites/mange.

Ann

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, FYI everyone.  Now we all know what mange/mites looks like. :(

I found a vet that had time to see her and they diagnosed mange.  I didn't know that mange was mites.  I hope it's just the localized mange.  The vet suggested we not breed her.  It is genetic and she probably got it from her parents and they said that her siblings will probably all be getting it.  And we bought her hoping to breed.  :(

I had a feeling Roxy had an immune system problem.  A few weeks ago she got so sick she almost died.  She quit eating, had vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and got very weak.  While she was sick with that she got a runny nose and cough.

The people we got her from said we would have absolutely no health problems with her as her family lineage was supposed to be very healthy.  

Ann

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ann....I was afraid of that when I saw the picture that was why I mentioned mange to you in the first post.  This is always a hard things for owners to deal with because demodex or red mange as it is also known does not generally show up until they are a little older and by then....well you love your baby and dont want to take her back....even if your goal was to breed.  I would however get in touch with the person you got her from and let them know, just on the off chance that they are not aware that their breeding female is passing the mites.....As the vet said...not a good idea to breed her because she will pass it on to all her pups....

The good news....it can be treated....it is just a pain!  Glad you found out now though because it can spread so quick if left untreated.....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
So sorry your girl is having problems, but glad you now know what you are dealing with so it can be treated.  Keep us posted on her progress.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm hoping that Roxy's mange clears up quickly and she feels all better soon.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
So sorry to hear about Roxy.  Hope it clears up quickly now that you know how to treat it!  Hugs to Roxy...feel better soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to my world.  We have littermates - Duke and Rudy - 5 mos.  Both pups were just diagnosed with Demodex Mites - definately genetic and breeder states none of her dogs have ever had it.  Treating them both with Ivermectin.  Going back to the vet as Rudy has developed some sort of secondary infection on her toe and she can hardly walk...

Good luck with your puppy - I think we will be dealing with this for a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Bump over eye, hairloss(MANGE!)

Well, I've talked to several vets about Roxy's mange and it seems like everyone has their own ideas, all very confusing.  I think they all agree that this is a hereditary immune system problem.  I had a feeling when she got hives three times this summer, then got the flu so bad she nearly died.  Now this.

What are the chances that this breeder doesn't know that the mother has this hereditary defect?  I  don't know them, but they say they have been breeding for a long time and that the mother doesn't have it (I think they have 8 sets of dogs that they breed).  I don't think I got a health guarantee.  They were so reassuring and said that she came from a long line of healthy dogs.

We are pretty disgusted by this all as we really wanted to breed her, and now we're being told we should spay her because she will pass this on to her pups.  :(  So now we get to look forward to spending more money to spay her and hope that she doesn't die from the surgery or get a secondary infection from it because of her immune system!

Ann

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
im sorry to hear about roxy, I would contact the breeder and tell them what is going on and ask about them at least covering the cost of the spay or whatever since they new you wanted to buy her and breed her. If you didnt get a health guarantee it could be hard but maybe they will be decent about it and try to help out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts