Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to you burn off your boxers extra energy durring the winter? Usually when it's nice out I take Milo out rollerblading to help get rid of his excess energy...but right now it's FREEZING out and snow covered and he's been whining like crazy, I think it's because he hasn't been able to go run.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I wish i could be of some help here in texas we are too cold, when we do get chilly (low 30's) Reese will burn around the house or we will move some furniture around and play fetch inside.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I try to rent the daycare for a day to let them play indoors and get some exercise.  Or roadtrips to Petsmart or Petco because hey can go inside.   Stuff like that - However a new toy will always work for my two - they will chase each other around the house.   I have also enrolled Kman in daycare once or twice a week to have that "release" of energy.  Its seems to work.

Good Luck finding that outlet.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd gladly pay for daycare a couple of days a week, but he's intact, so he wouldn't be able to play with the other dogs unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Is there anything in particular that is preventing the dogs from going outside for a bit.  It's been getting to below 30 here at night and I have been taking Ringer on hour long walks with no weather related issues.  He is moving so much and having such a good time that he generates plenty of heat to stay warm.  I'd say walk them and keep an eye on them just in case they can't handle the cold.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Ours are addicted to the laser lights - my husband has them running all over the place with those lights. We got ours at Petsmart. We call it the "bug" and they go crazy for it.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Kash is intact as well.  However all the other dogs are fixed.  So I have a good relationship with the owner, and she is allowing me to have Kash there, without issue until he is fixed.  I am waiting for a latter neuter, so we have no had an issue, but def. worth a shot if you can find one that will work with you.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I so hear you about the extra energy.  I feel like I'm running a daycare for 2 year olds!  It has become more than a full time job just keeping my two out of the Christmas decorations and their paws off counters and tables lately.   Now that Sophie is getting bigger - nothing is out of her reach.  It's cold and snowing here and already 6 inches on the ground so they don't last long outside.  I'm just wondering if it ever gets better or do I have to wait til they are old and grey before they slow down!  I hate to discourage their play but they are like having two tanks running amuck all over the house.  I'm just waiting to see if they wear a path in the carpet where they chase each other around the furniture.  I'm not really complaining but I don't seem to have a minute to even get on this site anymore without one or both of them getting into things.  How do all you people with more than one baby do it?????????????

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kaci usually keeps busy with toys, she becomes obsessed and plays by herself...but Milo isn't so into toys.

I'll have to just let go and leave Milo outside for more than 10 minutes, I just keep worrying about him beeing to cold. Kaci won't stay out for more than 10 minutes b/c she's a weenie. :lol: Plus, she's a lot smaller than most boxers, so she gets cold pretty easily.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Theresa, I'd try letting Milo out for a bit more, like Dan said, if he's moving he'll stay warm...That might help burn off some of that energy...Angel is the only one I have that issue with, altho the colder weather seem to have made Samson a bit frisky as well...With the backyard torn up, it's been even harder, so off to the park we go...But we also are not dealing with sub freezing temps  :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I still take Oggie for walks.   Maybe a little shorter time now.  But even when it's in the 20's he seems to enjoy it for a while.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah only seems to have problems when she is not moving fast, at the dog park we are there for 45 minutes to an hour in 20 to 30 degree weather (and snow) and has not had a problem.  In the back yard if she is playing hard she is ok for 30 minutes or so; if not playing hard about 10 mins.

G

·
0 Posts
My dogs have been crated a lot the last few days due to home renovations...I take them every few hours to the park next door and release them...they run like crazy and it seems to burn off some of the extra energy...the don't even seem to be affected by they cold and snow...its like 30 here...if anything it wears them out quicker...having to run different in the snow...kinda like sand, lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bought a horse cover for Hoos and we still walk sometimes. Day at least once a week, but its still not enough. Unfortunately have had to go back to the crate, because was being way too destructive. He ripped up too layers of linoleum and started working on the floorboards. I feel your pain-

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bubbaboy\";p=\"59994 said:
treadmill
if we had one, that would be my first stop...but alas, we don't.

I might try the land behind out house, it's probably cold enough for all the bugs and stuff to be dead or in hiding.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
We went to the dog park this weekend (used to go several times a week, but its been rainy).  It was probably 28 degrees, so I was only going to stay long enough for him to run around a couple times with other dogs.  We ended up staying about 15 minutes- he was running around and playing so he didn't even feel cold when we left, his ears weren't even cold!
I think if its something like that were they can run- they aren't going to get cold and don't need clothes.  A walk though, is probably too low key to keep them warm enough.  You have to worry about salt too, if its on the sidewalks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
With Tyson, there is no way to burn the extra energy!!! He is none stop.  Even though it has been freezing here, he still wants to go on walks and be out as much as possible.  The cold does not phase him.  We still go on an hour walk when I get home from work, and I am the only one freezing.  He seems to have soooo much energy, always up to something!  The one good thing is, is he knows when bed time is, and goes in his crate, and I don't hear from him til I wake him up in the morning.  that's nice.

But I don't think there is a way to burn off the extra energy.  I have tried, but it's none stop around my house!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Teresa, it is absolutely freezing here. We've been having this issue where we it is so cold we don't want her to get hurt or sick. (-2 F) We bought a horse coat too and tonight we went and bought booties. She seems to be very warm with that all on, plus she's moving. We have a treadmill and I've never tried walking her on it...have to try it. But with a good coat and boots I think it should be okay.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Funny this post came up it's really cold here too with lots of ice! I've been trying out new "indoor games" that don't drive me crazy!! The best I've found so far is to take a squeaky, wrap it up tight with Donners favorite fleece blanket, throw it on the floor and tell him "find it" He'll bounce at it with his front feet til he finds the squeak and then chase and kick the blanket until he gets it worked out! It's hysterical to watch and he'll do it over and over. When we're finished he's so tired he sleeps on the blanket where ever it ends up :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts