Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Could somebody please give me some info/advice on heart murmurs in boxer puppies? Buster had his first vaccination today and the vet said he has a heart murmur. I'm really worried about him.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Murmurs are actually common in young puppies.Did your vet grade it? Most grade 1 and 2 murmurs are considered innocent puppy murmurs and disappear by 8 months of age.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No she just said it was a bit loud for a puppy and talked about how he might need surgery if it doesn't go away! She frightened me! I'm going to get a second opinion i think, she mention how he has an under bite and how he shouldn't, but i was under the impression boxers SHOULD have an under bite.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was in the same position as you. 5 vets had seen my pup, and only one insisted he heard a murmur.

The last one I saw I told that to, I was scared too, and she tried three different stethoscopes and couldn't hear one...

Hopefully she is right. Doctors of any sorts can be wrong.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes, boxers have under bites and that is NORMAL lol :)
Omgoodness! I missed that part...

It's called Mandible Prognathism which contributes to their strong, powerful bite for holding down their prey until the hunters came...

That vet sounds really special. I would absolutely get a different opinion from a different clinic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Busters_mama
My Flynn has a heart murmur, and was found at his first shots. He is one that didn't outgrow it but it hasn't slowed him down at all. Yes I realize later on it may be the reason for an early demise but right now, other then his murmur, he is a big health happy boy. The only decision I have made about him is he will not be neutered because of the risk putting him under for the surgery. I listened to Kari (2many dogs) and did get a second opinion from a different vet in a different office, and didn't tell them anything about the first diagnosis, and yes they still heard it. Right now I will let him be the happy go lucky guy he is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I'll be taking him to another vet surgery that has been recommended to me tomorrow and i will update you on what the vet says :)

I have another question for you, I know i ask a lot of question but i really want to know the best way to raise him. In the past couple of days he has started growling, barking and biting my hand, now i know puppies play and growl, but i feel he is trying to be boss (i'm sure you know what i mean) for instance if i pick him up and he doesn't want me to, or if we're playing with his toys, sometimes he goes for my hand rather than the toy. I use a firm NO and ignore him, but he doesn't stop he bites and growls again. Is this normal puppy play for a boxer? or is it aggressiveness in the making? My flatmate just caught him ( 2 seconds ago) chewing on something and and said NO and he snapped and tried to bite her finger! also when we ignore him he pees and poos on the floor rather than his paper which he usually goes to... I'm just confused as i've never seen this in a puppy, although this is my first boxer. He still wants cuddles and he still acts like a "nice" puppy but there's a lot of growling and biting in between. As usual any advice is much appreciated so thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
This is what boxers playing together sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWkBp8dN33I

They are VERY vocal but it is not aggression. lol

However, your puppy has to learn bite inhibition, so each time he bites you, give him a firm, loud "NO bite!" and then disengage from whatever you were doing and ignore him. He will soon learn that biting will get him ignored and there's nothing a boxer hates more than being ignored! Good luck!

·
Registered
310 Posts
My pup tried the growling and snapping thing a few times trying to test the waters the first few weeks we had him when we tried to move him and he didnt want to move. We just moved him anyway so he knew that we were the boss. Only took a few times and figured it out pretty quick. He still does the barking growling to get your attention when he wants to play and we're busy. The family just ignores him till he stops then praises him and plays once its over. For me when he starts the barking I just give him the eye and say cut it iut goofball and he stops and goes back to licking your face off. I am also the main caretaker and he definitely sees me as alpha so he submits to me very quickly. He's not agressive with the wife and kids or anything he just keeps it up longer with them then me. Sort of like a kid that acts up and gets the "wait till your father gets home" speach. Each week he gets better and better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My younger boy Reggie had a heart murmur all the way until 8 months. Everytime we would bring him in for a check up I would always get concerned because it was still there! Also different doctors said they could hear it, and others said there was nothing. It's always good to get more than one opinion.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Omgoodness! I missed that part...

It's called Mandible Prognathism which contributes to their strong, powerful bite for holding down their prey until the hunters came...

That vet sounds really special. I would absolutely get a different opinion from a different clinic.

Yep if he does not know about that I would question if he knows about this:

http://www.boxerforums.com/health-concerns/27398-acepromazine.html

Struddell had two vets and I had this discussion with each of them. If she ever has to go under this would be important! If your guy doesn't know Boxers have an under bite, I'd be concerned.

But talk to him about the ACE and let that be your guide, maybe your the only Boxer he has seen? Which would be an issue with the ACE.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yep if he does not know about that I would question if he knows about this:

http://www.boxerforums.com/health-concerns/27398-acepromazine.html

Struddell had two vets and I had this discussion with each of them. If she ever has to go under this would be important! If your guy doesn't know Boxers have an under bite, I'd be concerned.

But talk to him about the ACE and let that be your guide, maybe your the only Boxer he has seen? Which would be an issue with the ACE.
I second your post :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts