Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have been researching dog foods for a couple weeks now and am down to a handful so please let me know what you think. Here are what I'm thinking looks good
By Nature organics
Canidae
Innova

I have been feeding Canine Caviar, but Popeye has had the run a lot lately with that. I tried Merrik for about 2 weeks and it was worse with that. Pleeeeeease help me lol.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have just switched my two over from Canidae to Merrick and I absolutely love it.  Better still they love it.  I switched them a faster than I should have, but have had no issues by doing so.  Sophie wasn't eating any kibble at all and only Merrick canned food, and Kane seems to have a cast iron stomach.  Sophie's putting on weight and so is Kane.  Their coats look very great after 1 week as well.  Not to sound like a commercial, but finding the right food that agrees with your particiular baby is the hard part.

Sophie was having issues with not wanting to eat anything at all, and I did try Innova Puppy canned food which worked really well too and it comes highly recommended.  Canidae was a great food and seemed to work very well as far as solid stools, but Kane had some dry skin and itching issues on it and Sophie just wouldn't eat it at all which was the reason I switch to Merrick.  

I remember that Alexa said it took her a month to switch Sadie over to Merrik which is probably how it should be done.  I'm wondering if you need to slow down the transition so you don't have the issues with loose stools.  Also the 1 t. of pumpkin mixed with the food really helps as well.  Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We were on Canidae for sometime...unfortunately Abby has some form of skin allergy and we had to take her off of it. Shortly thereafter, Brady decided he didn't want to eat it anymore.  We have not tried the other two...but my suggestion is to start any food by buying small bags of it.  From seeing what Brady is willing to eat (he's picky) and what may help with Abby's allergy, we have gone through several brands of food and have sooo much to donate to the local shelter right now as a result of not finishing bags.  So start wtih the 5lb bag or whatever and try for a week or two first.  

by the way, we ended up with Chicken Soup for Brade and we are trying out Timberwolf Ocean Blue for Abby right now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my 2 would love raw, but i never really considered it, would raw food result in looser stools? err why is there soo many choices lol!!! hmm well I'm just not sure what to do. I think I will try the canidae for a few weeks and see how that goes. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
They are all good kibbles, just got to find the one that agrees with your dog.  Some dogs are more sensititive to a richer kibble brand than another.  Some works perfectly for the dog.  

With the Innova, just get the reg forumla and not the EVO - too much protein in the EVO for growing puppies.  Canidae I found as the best bank for your buck, and never tried Nature's Organics.  Good Luck:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have 3 boxer i have always feed them Canidae or blue those are very good for ur dog. blue is a better brand and also more money so depending on my money for that month but my dogs like both brands. and i also have a litter of 9 pups which is 3 weeks old right now and i plan on starting them off on either canidae or blue also.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Like was already stated, every food reacts differently to every dog, so it could take awhile to find what works best for yours..I had mine on Blue Buffalo, which is a great food, but way too rich for mine, so the search went on..Now I have found what seems to work, Chicken Soup, they love it and it seems to agree with them...Also a lot of dogs do take longer to transition..Angel is that way, very delicate digestive system...Switching foods takes a month with her. So don't get discouraged, Canidae is an excellent food as is Innova, Nature Organics I really don't know anything about...If you can, try to get samples from the manufacturer to see if your babies will like it before buying a lot, or get small bags...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!! Having only tried the merrick for 2 weeks, i think I will keep the, on that for another couple weeks, and see how it goes. They really LOVE the Merrick so I think its worth trying longer. but if not i will do the small bags :-D thanks again everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts