Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so when we leave our house I put carter in his cage and everthing is fine...But if I come back in the house for anything or try to put him in the cage more then once aday...He will frak out when we leave...Its like his mouth just gets full of his spit and it just drips out all over the cage...So when I get home the cage is full...Does anyone know what is wrong with him?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
You got to make the cage a "cool" place!!    Right now he is associating the cage (crate) with you leaving.   So you are going to need to do some training to make the crate the ultimate hangout place!

Try the crate game.   I will find the post, its kinda cool because it teaches wait, but also teaches the crate is a fun, friendly place!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm sure this was asked or mentioned before, but have you tried also leaving a radio on for him? Maybe cover part of the crate with a blanket? Samson used ot get pretty worked up in the crate as well, I just wiped him & the crate down when he came out

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ima try that...But he will go in and out of his crate all day on his own when im at home.The crate is in the bedroom...And if I put a treat in there with him before I leave he wont eat it until I take him out then he will go grab it and eat it

·
Registered
149 Posts
This might take some time...

My puppy hated his crate for the first 2 months... But every time I go to leave, I tell him I love him, and really clearly say, "I will be back".

When I first started doing this, I would put him in his crate, walk outside to my car, get something out of the car and come back in and say, " I am back".

If he starts to associate those words with the fact that you are coming back shortly, he might not spaz out as much when you put him in there.

That's what worked for my dog! :) Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
I always feed mine in their crates as well...and sometimes i put them in their during the day while I'm home with toys so that they don't associate the closed crate with me being gone...

·
Registered
135 Posts
for both of my boxers I had to leave the tv on too.  My first boxer we didn't crate we just left her out( she just slept on the couch all day) but with Rodimus we crate him.. he is fine as long as the tv is on.  Sometimes the cat teases him by laying right out side of his cage BUT he's fine, just his blanket and a treat before he goes in and he gets one when we get home.. good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts