Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to be going to my parents house this weekend for a birthday party. We are taking the dogs and staying the night. Guido will bark non stop for 20 minutes when he meets someone and he will jump on them sometimes.

What's the easiest way to control him when guests come over? What do I do to get him to stop barking? He gets in the zone and no matter what I do he won't quit.

I have been using a pop can with pennies in it for when he barks at neighbors and that seems to work well. But, he's totally different when someone actually comes to the door.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ok...Here are some easy instructions to deal with this.  

Put/keep him on lead.  When someone new walks up explain to them, at a distance, that he is learning to be polite when meeting new people.  Give them some treats and follow these directions.  

Have the person walk up toward you and You put him into a sit (have him hold the sit for 25-30 seconds before being treated).  When he complies, they give him a treat and gentle praise, if he doesn't, You turn around and walk him away 5-10 steps.  Walk him back and repeat...

This teaches him that he must be polite (sit) when meeting new people.  He doesn't get the treat until he does what is asked.  If you do this with every person he meets, he will learn polite behavior gets him something great in return.

To stop the barking when meeting people, tell him in a firm voice, " That's enough, Guido!"   If he doesn't stop turn around and walk away.  Perform some obedience commands.  When he is calmer, return to the person and try again.  Ask the "new" people not to talk to him until he is calm.  When he has stopped barking say, " Thank you, Guido!!!"

Hope this helps.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
And that works very well, the last thing a boxer wants to be is ignored. This is something we have been working with Angel as she is really bad about jumping all over visitors and us! Now sometimes I don't mind, but I'm teaching her, that the jumping is at my request, not hers!  :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts