Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I am the very proud mommy of "2" four month old boxer boys. This is our first time having boxers and we are so in love!!

My husband and I love to go camping. We have a camp site reserved for Port St. Joe, Fl. coming up soon. I made the reservations last fall before we had the boys.

My husband is very concerned and feels that it is not a good idea to take them camping. Anytime I take them somewhere, I get compliments on how well behaved they are. However, they are still babies and in the evening time they love to wrestle with each other. My husband is concerned that the neighbor campers won't appreciate the entertainment as much as we do.

Also, at this campgrounds there is a beach on one side of the grounds and the bay on the other. If I remember correctly, the pups would not be allowed on the beach but I could take them to the bay for fun time in the water. They would enjoy that better anyway as the water in the bay is much calmer and more shallow. My husband is concerned saying "what if they get snake bit?" There are snakes anywhere you go camping. He also said, "what are you going to do about the pups if you want to go to the beach side?"

Please give me honest opinions. Are we being overprotective? Is this going to be more like work and less like vacation?

I love these boys so much and want them with us. I don't think I would enjoy myself if I thought they were at a kennel. But are my expectations for what they can handle too much?

Thanks for the help,

Marsha

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
How do your dogs act when they're left alone? Are you tent camping? If so, I don't think you can leave your dogs alone. If you have a camper, it depends on the temperament of the dogs. Barking dogs are NOT popular at campgrounds. We take our little dogs camping, but we usually leave Dempsey behind at our doggie day care/boarding kennel, b/c he has a better time there - lol! We have a very small camper, which is fine for our little dogs, but very confining for Dempsey. We don't plan our vacation around our dogs - we go to enjoy the beach and surrounding area, restaurants, etc.. If you plan on staying at the campground all the time, then it may be doable.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yes, what type of camping? If you have a big camper is it possibly to leave windows open a few hours and let them stay there after maybe a nice long hike/walk to fire them out so you two can enjoy yourselves. Also, are there any kennels/daycares close by where you will be camping? Maybe see if they can take them for a day. I have friends that use a kennel close to their vacation spot so they can visit the dogs during the day. Most places they've been too have been very understanding about letting them kind of come and go and take the dogs when they want.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When they are left alone they are in their crate, but I don't work full time so they are not in it for long periods of time. We do tent camp and I wouldn't dare leave them at the tent while we went to the beach. I would be afraid that someone would steal them. I would take them with me to the bay and enjoy the sand and water on that side where they are welcome.

We do stay at the campgrounds the entire week except going to get ice or refill a few grocery items. We don't go into town to the restaurants as they are a good 20 miles away. The campgrounds is the state park on the peninsula. It is gorgeous there if you want to check it out.

I don't know. I have a friend that recommended a boarding kennel near us that doesn't just cage them all day so I may check it out. I would just rather they be with me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know your financial situation, but if you're gonna be camping for a week, instead of taking them with you, could you get them in a board and train program for the week? Teach some basic obedience and be socialized with other people/ dogs.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have taken mine tent camping, cabin camping and trailer camping but never more than 2 at a time LOL when we went tent camping they stayed with us almost the entire time we did leave them with our daughter for a bit at the tent site while we had some adult time they did have a blast all week though if you are taking them tent camping you will need the following items tie out stakes with 12 foot cable ties not chains a collapsible kennel that will fit in the tent just in case (we only needed it once and were glad we had it didn't take up much car space ) food, water from home at least a gallon a day mine hate water from other areas and we had one collapse from dehydration because she refused to drink their water she did however decide bottled water was OK expensive lesson an extra collar and leash for each dog we have had one break and paid a ton to replace it where we were plus a 45 min drive DE or some bug repellent we have found that skin so soft from Avon is OK to use on dogs and works well and a doggy first aid kit we added to the one the store sold including rescue remedy and ACV if either of them needs any kind of meds split it in to 2 areas one the doggy bag and the other your bag just in case you lose one or they get damaged puppy deodorizer nothing is worse than sharing a tent with a dog that got in lake muck and smells like a dead fish hopefuly others chime in with things I have forgotten

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
we always take ours camping, Brooklyn has gone since puppyhood and is now a pro! She has always slept in the tent with us, and its never been a problem. We have always take her crate incase she got to roudy and just needed to rest.. and when yoounger we took a plastic play pen fence type thing, we put together so she could be in it as well, I have a video somewhere of our camping trip, I will have to see if I can find it....out thought process, was this, we want them to grow up around camping, it make be stressful at first, but in the long run it will be worth it, because as they get older they will know what camping is, and will learn how to behave having grown up doing so, and boy was I right, I could not imagine not having mine there now, it's so fun

·
Registered
20 Posts
Video looks like a nice little camping spot. Unfortunately almost all places around here require the dog to be leashed the entire time.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Hi Marsha. We love to camp too! Last year we took then 8 mos old Porter for a four day tent camping trip. We went with friends (2 sites) and their lab, Barney. We definately had a great time, and so did the dogs. Porter was a bit freaked out at night in the tent when he heard noises and I worried that the barking would be a problem with other campers, but he settled down after the first nite. There was a definate drawback in that if we wanted to canoe, someone had to stay with the dogs at all times. We definatly NEVER left them unattended. I would suggest that you get a stake, tie out system (mandatory to have them leashed at all times where we camp), shade canapy, life vests, dog bug spray (yea, you can find it). this year we are definately taking Porter our new pup Fiona will be just about 7 mos and we aren't sure yet.
Also, always zip that tent all the way and with two zippers meeting up high. One am and 4 am, I left the tent to go to the flush toilets down the trail. I zipped the tent, but the two zippers were at the bottom...Porter managed to put pressure with his head on the zippers and slide it open. So....I'm walking down the path I hear jingle jingle. I shine my flashlight around...nuttin...keep walking...jingle jingle. Again nothing. Just about at the bathroom when Porter comes running up, like Hi, I followed you! Argh!!! Live and learn

Here's a pic of our camper, Porter.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi Marsha. We love to camp too! Last year we took then 8 mos old Porter for a four day tent camping trip. We went with friends (2 sites) and their lab, Barney. We definately had a great time, and so did the dogs. Porter was a bit freaked out at night in the tent when he heard noises and I worried that the barking would be a problem with other campers, but he settled down after the first nite. There was a definate drawback in that if we wanted to canoe, someone had to stay with the dogs at all times. We definatly NEVER left them unattended. I would suggest that you get a stake, tie out system (mandatory to have them leashed at all times where we camp), shade canapy, life vests, dog bug spray (yea, you can find it). this year we are definately taking Porter our new pup Fiona will be just about 7 mos and we aren't sure yet.
Also, always zip that tent all the way and with two zippers meeting up high. One am and 4 am, I left the tent to go to the flush toilets down the trail. I zipped the tent, but the two zippers were at the bottom...Porter managed to put pressure with his head on the zippers and slide it open. So....I'm walking down the path I hear jingle jingle. I shine my flashlight around...nuttin...keep walking...jingle jingle. Again nothing. Just about at the bathroom when Porter comes running up, like Hi, I followed you! Argh!!! Live and learn

Here's a pic of our camper, Porter.
Glad you posted that about the zippers I forgot thats how Brandi got out to accompany me to the bathroom and she ended up chasing a bear cub back to its momma on the other side of the creek fortunately the momma didnt come to us !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh my gosh you guys are all so awesome. Loved reading all or your posts and seeing that video. We are going to do it! I forgot to mention, the boys do have crates we can take, and we have an air-conditioner for our tent. Don't laugh but it's pretty awesome. We have a very large tent that is plenty big enough for their crates and our cots. So if they need a break from the heat we can always have this take a nap in their crate and enjoy the air conditioning. I can see the canoeing being a problem. We are big kayakers but this camping trip is not just me and the Mr. We have about 7-8 family members that are all going for a week. I did purchase a two stakes with cable wiring today. I didn't think about the doggie deo or the doggie bug spray. We definitely want to take them to the bay to splash around. I can imagine they will get pretty stinky. Someone mentioned bringing water from home. I wouldn't have thought of that. I have two so we are taking 12 gallons of water. Yikes.

And, a bear cub? oh my! lol

The zipper on the tent story is hilarious. But good advice.

I will be sure to let you guys know how they do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And the life jackets. Definitely going to look for those this weekend. This is my first time having boxers and I have fallen hard. These two boys are so precious! Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Aspen is a champion camper. It really helps that she can't hear because she doesn't get startled or upset by noises at night time. I also bring her bark collar just in case because a dog barking in a tent at night is a good way to p*ss off everyone else at the campsite! We only camp when we're backcountry hiking, so we just have a little 1 or 2 man tent (depending if I'm going alone or with someone else). Aspen just makes herself comfy in the foot of my sleeping bag and she's usually exhausted from the hiking and carrying her pack that she is out like a light as soon as it's dark.

My golden retriever used to come canoeing with us all the time, we'd put a blanket or a bed in the bottom of the canoe, slap his life jacket on him and off we'd go! He was such a good boy though, would just lay there and enjoy the ride, I haven't tried it yet with Aspen. I have a feeling she'd be so excited she'd tip us over in no time flat! She'd probably lean over to try to drink the water or something and in we'd all go!

If your tent is large enough for their kennels and it has air conditioning, then I see no reason why you couldn't just leave them kenneled with the ac on if you wanted to go to the beach where they aren't allowed to go. Probably wouldn't want to leave them for too long but 30 min here and there would be fine I would think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts