Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old female boxer and looking to add another boxer to our household. My preference is another female but I’ve read that 2 females together would not be good. Can anyone share any insight.

·
Registered
868 Posts
There are many many posts on here about people having problems with females some people do make it work but alot of people are faced with fights and the stress of trying to keep the peace in their homes and the anguish of having to rehome one of the dogs they love so I don't recommend it. I have always had two Boxers male/female combo and have never had a real fight happen so please think carefully. Females can be alot worse than males when it comes to dominance.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Not usually, from what I've gathered once they reach maturity whether or not spayed they each want to be dominant. This leads to fighting. There have been several threads on here where people have had to keep them in separate parts of home gated off or have had to rehome one. Two males both neutered not a problem or a combo male/female, would work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad that you're reaching out before you made the decision, please read the other posts on having two mature female boxers.
Having two boxers is 3 times as fun, but just 2 females doesn't work.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
LOL ... I saw the title and my first thought ... "was Oh No, not again and so soon???"

But upon further reading ... I saw "Researching the possibility??" So kudos, to you! :)

And I get the, "appeal," of the girl's myself cuz, if one is great then two should be "greater!"

And for the most part, if one start's with a puppy. It is great, for about 12 to 18 month's (Sexual maturity) and no it won't matter if both are "fixed.") And then all "Hell Break's Loose???"

And sure "some people," can and have, "Multiple Female's," but not that many?? It's just not a good plan for "most," people.

It's is a much better plan to learn from the mistakes of other's ... than it is to reinvent the wheel, as it were.

Hm, I can go on and on, ... uh anyway. I'd start with three most common mistakes people that have "serious dog's," with conflict almost always make??

But most likely ... I already listed them in here??

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
I will not place two female dogs in the same home. Some people do not have any issues and to be honest this is purely luck. It is not how they are raised or whatever other Mumbo jumbo that you hear.

Females are notorious for holding grudges and once they fight, they will always fight. So why risk it?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Sigh .. well that just's "continued," crappy new's for me! As I "know better." Marilyn screwed me over with our Bella (Boxer/Pit) and thus far she seems, to double down on typical Boxer crazy!

And I already know all the "Structured Management," stuff one would need to have done to at least have a chance before hand? And I have not done any of it! Short sighted on my part I suppose??

And I'm not much a fan of "Dumb luck??" So I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a Boy Boxer?? Which is kinda odd for me, cuz I was always a male dog kinda guy. But my Struddell won my heart. :)

But yes in "Boxer Land," two female's, is just not a good idea. And sheer dumb luck ... is not much of a plan??? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 6 year old female boxer and looking to add another boxer to our household. My preference is another female but I’ve read that 2 females together would not be good. Can anyone share any insight.
We've had three boxers at a time, and until two years ago, all were female. Every pup for the last 40 years has made a play for dominance, but as soon as she learns that my wife is the dominant "bitch", all is well. Even now that one of our boxers is a male, the situation is manageable, with some care during "fertile weeks". Just be sure to introduce the new pup to the resident OUTDOORS, and let the :mistress" of the house bring her new friend in. Boxers seem to be inherently maternal, and my guess is your grand-dam will be delighted with a pup to play with.
Dave Smola
Ronin Boxers

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will not place two female dogs in the same home. Some people do not have any issues and to be honest this is purely luck. It is not how they are raised or whatever other Mumbo jumbo that you hear.

Females are notorious for holding grudges and once they fight, they will always fight. So why risk it?
I disagree. It is not always luck. I have more problems with females of differing breeds butting heads than with boxers. But then I know not to put two dominant boxer females together.
I have had two boxer females who would not have worked well with each other. But they didn’t have to. One moved in with us a month after the other died of cancer.
the new one turned out to be dominant which is what we wanted. Our existing female is very submissive. As was her mother and that’s why we chose her to place with our first dominant female. Selecting dogs with temperament in mind is a good rule of thumb for a peaceful future.
As you are a breeder I can understand you unwillingness to trust prospective parents. Not all know or even consider temperament.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think what happens usually is people who don't understand dog dynamics will get two pups of the same sex only to find out much too late that won't work and it causes so much heartache the idea they will have to give up one. I think most breeders will take this position as well as rescues because it happens so often. There are occasions when it does work but in my experience you don't see it very often.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well there are two on this thread who have made it work. The times it doesn’t work are tragic so are much more memorable.
There is no magic or mumbo jumbo involved in making it work. Strict supervision before things get too far out of hand are what it takes.
A boxer and an Australian shepherd were the toughest for me. We worked hard to give each equal attention. And work and play them together. Still they had 3 or 4 go arounds. The Aussie lived to be 17. The boxer died of cancer at 6. The Aussie did well with the other two female boxers. We had those three for 5 years or so till the Aussie died of old age.
We’re doing two females and one male again when our male and female puppies get here in two days. Our 11year old senior female boxer is submissive but playful. She has never had an issue with another female unless they were sniffing around her food when she wanted to save it for later. Those little tiffs were squashed quickly as we were right there supervising, knowing what body language to look for.
Still for some having problems with two females, the easiest answer is to rehome one. Sad as that is, if they’re not able to control their pack to keep the peace it is the quickest solution.

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
I disagree. It is not always luck. I have more problems with females of differing breeds butting heads than with boxers. But then I know not to put two dominant boxer females together.
I have had two boxer females who would not have worked well with each other. But they didn’t have to. One moved in with us a month after the other died of cancer.
the new one turned out to be dominant which is what we wanted. Our existing female is very submissive. As was her mother and that’s why we chose her to place with our first dominant female. Selecting dogs with temperament in mind is a good rule of thumb for a peaceful future.
As you are a breeder I can understand you unwillingness to trust prospective parents. Not all know or even consider temperament.
I have had multiple females in my home over the course of almost 20 years. I am very structured in my home, definitely more than the average pet owner. I am very observant of body language in my dogs being a multi dog home, I reduce any triggers such as guarding of chews or treats, toys etc. My dogs are crate trained and excellent all round dogs HOWEVER I have seen first hand how two girls can go from lounging in the living room on their beds to full on attacking one another unprovoked. These are two girls who have co-existed for 3 years with no issues what so ever. Girls I would have trusted together no questions asked. The commotion of those two girls caused another girl to jump in on the fight. Do you know how hard it is to break up a dog fight on your own? The risks of getting bitten or attacked yourself? The after effects of this type of dog fight? 3 dogs in separate crates driven back and forth after hours to my vet for stitches was horrible. Cleaning up the after math was horrible. Attempting to slowly reintroduce the girls to one another was heart breaking.... they were having none of it. Coming to the conclusion a month later that I had to rehome 2 of the 3 girls was devastating.

This is what I experienced as an experienced multi dog owner. I will never place one of my girls or clients in the same position when you can easily place a male/female or male/male combo instead.

Being a breeder I still have multiple females in my home but I am well aware that it can go from good to bad in the blink of an eye. I don’t take chances, I rotate my dogs in male/female pairs outside and I crate when I can’t supervise. Thankfully my currently household works well together and those girls we rehomed are flourishing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It can be heartbreaking. If the situation can be avoided that is best. “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Not trying to make light of these tragic situations. And usually by the time someone asks on here it is too late.
It is a dynamic situation with multiple dog in any house requiring constant observation and guidance. The more dogs the quicker things can change. And the harder it is to give each the attention they require.
It’s easy to say two females should never be in the same house. But sometimes two females can be best of friends who play and protect each other. That has been my experience. As well as two who just tolerate each other.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I have had multiple females in my home over the course of almost 20 years. I am very structured in my home, definitely more than the average pet owner. I am very observant of body language in my dogs being a multi dog home, I reduce any triggers such as guarding of chews or treats, toys etc. My dogs are crate trained and excellent all round dogs HOWEVER I have seen first hand how two girls can go from lounging in the living room on their beds to full on attacking one another unprovoked. These are two girls who have co-existed for 3 years with no issues what so ever. Girls I would have trusted together no questions asked. The commotion of those two girls caused another girl to jump in on the fight. Do you know how hard it is to break up a dog fight on your own? The risks of getting bitten or attacked yourself? The after effects of this type of dog fight? 3 dogs in separate crates driven back and forth after hours to my vet for stitches was horrible. Cleaning up the after math was horrible. Attempting to slowly reintroduce the girls to one another was heart breaking.... they were having none of it. Coming to the conclusion a month later that I had to rehome 2 of the 3 girls was devastating.

This is what I experienced as an experienced multi dog owner. I will never place one of my girls or clients in the same position when you can easily place a male/female or male/male combo instead.

Being a breeder I still have multiple females in my home but I am well aware that it can go from good to bad in the blink of an eye. I don’t take chances, I rotate my dogs in male/female pairs outside and I crate when I can’t supervise. Thankfully my currently household works well together and those girls we rehomed are flourishing.
As an amateur this is what I have always done in my home. We are a structured home as I don't want any extra unintended vet bills. Why take chances.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts

Aww well while I have happily, not seen anything like that?? I have seen a girl "Boxer," gone "Berserk," however?? And one is not like to forget it! Now it was my fault and most likely not something anyone else will stumble across, in a million years!

But she was "epic" and "stunning??" And my one saving grace was that my Male BandDogge, uh Dominate Male Dog and Dog Aggressive, wanted to get as far the HE$$ as he could away, from Daddys girl as quickly as possible!

Stru objected to Gunther's lack of respect for Baby Kittens being born?? And if "Daddy," was not gonna teach him "Respect," then by God She Would!" And with that she was just flat "Gone??" In the blink of an eye she cleared me in a single bound and tore into him??? Well I was stunned and Gunther was gone and Stru was "still insane???" Time to deal.

And I got it done, kinda left me stunned?? But she was fine after I forced her to chill the heck out by laying on her till she chilled out!

But she was just one dog and a "bone chilling experience at that!" But she was just one combatant! Not two and certainly not three???

So I would ask, were all three Dog's willing combatant's? No one is backing down or trying to get away?? Did you get hurt???

·
Super Moderator
7,084 Posts
It is very rare that I have to step in and moderate this forum as most of the time people are respectful to one another. Differences of opinions are allowed, however rudeness and cursing are not. This is the only time I am going to remind you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts