Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shredded wheat or oatmeal? I buy quaker oatmeal squares (cereal similar to the mini wheats, but not frosted with sugar or anything) to eat as a snack around the house. If i eat just a handful of these babies i feel full, and helps me eat something a wee bit more better for me than all the sweet things i am trying to clear out of my home. Anywho-I gave one to each of the girls and they LOVED it, but i dont know if it is ok. If not then they had their taste of something new, and wont get it again.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It not the best treat to feed all the time due to it being all grain and sugar.   So once and while fine, but would not use it every day.  But again, thats just me.   :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yeah I would say if they like it, once in a while should be no problem.  :)

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i would think it would be fine if they were plain oatmeal squares. i give sumya ritz crackers, i just figure it is better than what is in  most commercial dog treats....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks :) i didnt plan on giving it often (like a treat for going potty outside) or anything like that. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt gonna kill 'em slowly if they got one occasionally:D

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Awhh... that sounds tasty actually!

You  know my neighbor feeds her dogs EVERYTHING... from pizza crust to chocolate chip cookies... to... GAWD I CAN'T THINK... EVERYTHING! They do fine... but I mean even I was surprised with the whole choc chip cookies thing! CRAZY!! SORRY Just thought I'd throw that in.

I gave Odin a TINY DOT of my ice cream on his nose... and after that... he followed me around and waited for more! I learned to NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!! LOL

·
Registered
362 Posts
As for the chocolate, we had a maltese growing up that ate about half of an easter bunny made of milk chocolate so I was rushing around trying to find out info on chocolate being poisonous.  Turns out most chocolate isn't as bad for dogs as it's made out to be.  Darker is worse.  Turns out that 4oz or so of milk chocolate wasn't dangerous to the 12lb dog.  He threw it up anyway, but was fine otherwise.  Not that I'd make a habit of giving a dog chocolate.
http://www.monmouth.army.mil/monmessg/n ... 11dogs.htm

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I buy granola bars (berry type - no raisens) for snacks for me and will give Kiah a bite everyonce in a while but nothing else sweet.  My sister and brother in law are making their own sweet potatoe chews and that is what I plan to do for Kiah since she loves them so much.  They are pretty expensive at the stores.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barb, you need to post that recipe for sweet potatoe chews. i would love to try and make them for the girls

1 - 11 of 11 Posts