Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new pup likes to chew on his metal crate and we're concerned that it's unhealthy for his teeth/gums.  We really don't put him in there for a long time besides to sleep at night.  He likes it in his crate too (i.e. come and go freely); he has chew toys in there that we try to get him to chew instead, but most of the time he just goes back to chewing the crate.  He'll even chew on the outside of the door of the crate when he's not even in there.  Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ohhh..I was SO against Ashley in a wire crate, but DH's parents lost their Chow to old age just a week after buying one..so guess what Ashley got??
She had a bit of anxiety at 2 months, and unfortunately chewed off ( probably broke a few too ) all her anterior puppy teeth.
We had to go back to softening her food, but thank goodness, the anxiety, and the adult teeth are in now..and have MUCH better strength, and she only chews her toys, or just catches some Zzzzz's in there  :)
I would not hesitate to maybe try some bitter apple spray on the wire to maybe make the chewing less "appealing". Or maybe see if someone you know has a plastic crate of a small size to crate train your pup ( althought they have wire front doors..so it may be beside the point ).
Good luck, and remember in about 6 weeks or so..those baby teeth are going, and you will have a stronger bite..so try to curb this before you have more issues.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I was always worried that the metal coating might be toxic too, especially if ingested.  Best thing to do is to get him extra exhausted before bed so he is too tired to do anything except sleep.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
our puppy does that too, but never when she is in there she goes over to her crate while playing outside and chews on the handles or whatever she can get her mouth around, we try to distract her with her toys and sometimes it works, she's been doing it less lately I think it's because most of her baby teeth are already out.  good luck with your baby :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I agree with Sully, try wearing him out really well before bed time and see if that helps...I've never used a crate til I had Samson and I used a plastic crate with him, but he's knawed on it a bit, course he has a plastic fetish.....I wouldn't think it would be really good for his teeth tho to keep chewiing on that crate..Maybe try spraying some Bitter Apple on it, or rub some Cayenne Pepper on it

·
Registered
933 Posts
Everyone has really good ideas.  I just wanted to say that my Barkley was born on the same day as Hank!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions.  It's really not a bedtime issue.  It's during the day while we happen to be near the crate.  He just loves to chew on it, especially the lock of the door.  A Happy (Belated) 11 week old birthday to Barkley.   :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
that what Maple does too, we just tell her no and to leave it, it's a very repetitive thing 'cause she goes back to it again and again, just try to watch him and redirect... sorry I know it's not much help, good luck though and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Vega did it bad chipped a tooth too! If they are her baby teeth I wouldn't worry to much they are going to fall out anyways :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were concerned at first that using chew deterrents would cause Hank to start associating his crate with bad things.  He's loved his crate from the first moment we were home, so we didn't want to ruin that for him.  We also were a little concerned about what it might do to the metal.  But after tireless redirection just wasn't working, we were feeling desperate, and we tried tabasco sauce and a little cayenne pepper.  It seemed to work, and there are no signs of Hank liking his special space any less.  Only time will tell if we've ruined our crate.   :wink:   Thanks again for the feedback!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts