Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a silly question, but can dogs get human colds?    I was a little disturbed, I was at a friend's house and I brought my puppy over for the first time and someone else had brought their newborn.  Well this one woman wouldn't hold the baby because she had a cold, but she comes over and takes Oggie from me and holds him.  So I'm thinking....does she know something I don't?

Also, I found some poison ivy in my yard and my boy tried to nose it.  I pulled him away but I think he touched it.  I took a baby wipe and wiped his nose, but it got me wondering if they can get poison ivy.  I am pretty sure they could at least transfer it to a person if I touched him where he rubbed up against it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Keep in mind the only silly questions are the one's not asked...... :D

Dogs are not suseptable to human colds.  The only animal I know of off hand that can get a "human cold" is a ferret. Dogs and cats can not pass "colds" back and forth.  They can however pass worms and other parasites!

I think that because dogs are so in tune with how the person that is with them feels that they feed off that.  You feel bad and are just logging around and they pick up on that and act all sick too.  It is compassion that they have that alot of humans don't :)

Dogs can get and also pass posion ivy and oak.  It would show up as hives on the body and benadryl will take care of it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whew....well I guess I shouldn't worry about him getting sick then.  Thanks for easing my mind.  I'll have to spray that poison ivy out there so he doesn't get into it.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Sharon summed it up great! I was going to state that the only animal I knew of that could catch the common cold was the ferret! Which stunk when both Steven and I would get sick at the same time OR even just one of us... it was so hard not to go over and kiss and love on them!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts