Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I should have posted this yesterday. My wife saved off the liver, heart, neck and other innards from the Turkey yesterday. Still raw.

Are these OK to give to Mercedes?

Thanks,

GT

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I dont believe it is good for them, but i am not 100 % sure. i know we had a thread that said not to feed turkey, but it didnt specify whether the innards were ok.

·
Registered
381 Posts
liver, heart, neck, gizzards, etc... all very good to feed to a dog.  My preference is to cook it lightly, kinda medium or medium rare but a lot of people feed that stuff raw.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I feed the all raw, but if you cook the neck strip the meat off because there are small bones inside that are not good to feed when cooked.

Also if your dog is not used to raw food, I would suggest boiling them and then feeding.  (boil all organs, and neck, then strip meat off neck)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep. All very good for your pup. And as stated above, Don't cook the neck unless you strip the meat.  I think even iff your pups don't eat RAW regularly, if fed seperate from kibble they will be fine fed uncooked. They will love chewing the neck.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Luther ate about 1 pound of cooked Turkey and he is full of piss and vinegar.  I do not think it is deadly at all...

and he ate more today.....  his poop was a little soft, but he is fine....

John

·
Registered
412 Posts
Skyboxers\";p=\"51898 said:
I am not sure if this is true or not but i herd that turkey is deadly to boxers???? Any insight?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Like E said too much can cause  pancreitis.   Even the meat since it is dreadged and cooked in fat and oil.  Best to feed in moderation if you are feeding off your cooked bird.   Turkey is a fine meat.  Mine eat it all the time.   The only thing about feeding it from T-giving is how it is cooked.   Boiled meat, raw turkey, ground turkey then rinsed (to remove any fats) are all perfectly fine for a dog!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was so scared to give it to her lol. I was talking to her breeder on the phone and said I was thinking of giving her a couple pieces and she was like NO lol so I didn't. I would not even be able to tell u how it was cooked because I didn't cook this year. Well thanks again everyone.
Samantha

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nexu\";p=\"52027 said:
I ended up throwing away my turkey neck, too much bone.
 The bones in a neck of a turkey are just small vertebrea. Easily broken up and knawed apart. Good for teath cleaning and plenty small for digestion. Necks in RAW form are a great food. Your dog will thank you!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
we feed turkey alot..boiled with rice and a veg then rinsed & strained...well alot meaning once a week...we switch b/t turkey chicken and beef...

we didnt give them the inards though..thought about it since we cooked 2 big turkeys but rather jsut give them a mixture of the left overs instead...

didnt know about the neck..have to remember that

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nexu\";p=\"52762 said:
[quote="Bumpy\";p=\"52035":3kwau1kk][quote="Nexu\";p=\"52027":3kwau1kk]I ended up throwing away my turkey neck, too much bone.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's not worth the risk-reward IMO.  I have a friend in Ohio who's boxer got salmonella (or was it e-coli) from RAW feeding and will never feed it again.  Another just posted last month on another boxer forum how a chicken quarter bone pierced the back of the throat/mouth of their boxer.  The vet, being disturbed, angry, "anti-raw".... whatever you want to call it (I call it experienced-this vet has seen this problem many times) made the owner come back and watch the vet extract the bone from the back of the throat.  The dog almost died.  Impacted bones in the gums, broken teeth, bone issues/perforations throughout the entire digestive system (mouth to colon)... no thanks.

I know it's "low risk" but it's not low enough risk for me.  I deal in risk every day - it's my job.

·
Registered
412 Posts
[quote="Nexu\";p=\"53186":2gb93u5m]It's not worth the risk-reward IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts