Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking for some advice, my pup is coming up to 5 months old and it is starting to worry me that he has only one testicle, the vet has told me that if his second one has not droped by 9 months then he might have to have an operation to look for the other one and remove it as it could turn cancerous, obviously the top priority is his health and wellbeing. But when I chose him the breeder advised me that he was best of litter, this has encouraged me to want to show him as he has a very impressive blood line but can it be possible if he is only left with one of his gem?

Sian

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sorry, as Jordane said, they cannot be shown and should not be bred. :(

A retained testicle should have dropped by now (although there may be a *slight* chance that it still could come down up to 6 months, but only as long as it is past the first ring - ie: if it's yo-yo-ing), but unfortunately, retained testicles can become cancerous (has to do with the high body heat affecting an organ that should naturally reside outside of the body) so you will want to have him neutered if it hasn't dropped in a month or two.

Unfortunately, these things happen, however, your breeder should work with you to make right on placing another puppy in your home. If you purchased him as a show prospect, I'm of the opinion that your breeder should replace him with another show prospect, however, this will largely depend on your contract and the way it is constructed.

Good luck. I'd watch it for now and have him neutered if it doesn't come down (and stay down) over the course of the next month or two, and love him as a well beloved pet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My chato is 9wks old and both of his testicles have not dropped. The vet suggested neutering due to what BurningRiver mentioned (body heat-cancer). So is there still a chance for his testicles to drop? Thanx.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There is a slight chance, though it get slimmer with each passing day.  Some will say testicles can still drop at 18 months of age, but in most cases if they're not down by 12 weeks - and certainly by 6 months - they're not coming down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI! I am new to the forum, so far have found great info!

I have an 8mth old boxer, Payton, we purchased him w/ the intent of breeding. At the 1st vet visit we were informed 1 of his testicles hadn't dropped and that by March we would need to fix him. My question is, is this a common occurance with boxers? Our breeder hasn't ever seen this in any of her pups before. Should he not be bred b/c he only has 1 testicle?

Thanks for the help, I am new to boxers!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It is not an uncommon occurrence with Boxers, and you definitely do want to have him neutered because the retained testicle has a much higher chance of becoming cancerous.  You also definitely do not want to breed a dog with only one testicle - it is a genetic trait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
paytonsmypup\";p=\"3331 said:
HI! I am new to the forum, so far have found great info!

I have an 8mth old boxer, Payton, we purchased him w/ the intent of breeding. At the 1st vet visit we were informed 1 of his testicles hadn't dropped and that by March we would need to fix him. My question is, is this a common occurance with boxers? Our breeder hasn't ever seen this in any of her pups before. Should he not be bred b/c he only has 1 testicle?
Yes, he should not be bred and he should be neutered. You want to make sure that retained testicle does not cause trouble later.

But there is something you should know about your breeder. If they are a responsible breeder, they would have been able to tell you upfront his 2nd testicle was not descended yet. At 8 weeks when you would have brought him home, they could easily have seen this. They would have then warned you it may or may not drop and that you could not breed him if it did not drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts