Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if dogs can feel guilty when you somewhat scolded them because of their wrong deeds. So let me share to you guys what I’ve found:

“Possibly, but dogs are great actors. A study asked dog owners to place a treat in front of their dogs, tell them not to eat it, and then walk away. In some trials, the dogs were scolded regardless of whether they had eaten the treat or not; in other trials, they were not scolded at all. The results showed that the dogs always looked guilty when scolded, but dogs that weren’t reprimanded for bad behavior made no face at all. The expression seemed to be a way to appease their owners. So when your pet flashes you those big puppy eyes, they may just be faking it to get out of trouble.”
Can you share me your observation about your dogs? Thanks :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting.
The common theory is that if you scold a dog for something she DID, not something she is in the process of doing, she isn't going to understand why exactly you're scolding her, because dogs think differently than we do. So if you come home and doggy pooped, maybe they'll know they're in trouble because they know Mom gets upset if there is a poop on the floor, and they can see the poop on the floor, but they don't think about the actual act of pooping on the floor as being the bad thing.

I'm sure that's true sometimes. I've also seen cases of angry poops or trash can digging that I am certain is an 'F you.'

I feel like it's kinda the same thing with the guilty thing. Maybe some dogs are just being submissive because Dad is mad, but I do think dogs are capable of feeling guilt.
As one example, I've been bitten a few times when I worked at Doggy Daycare, and I remember one of the times, I went to go have a 'sit down' with one of the dogs involved in the fight that resulted in my bite when trying to break it up.
I didn't scold him or anything, but I talked to him, and I showed him the wound, and he definitely seemed to feel pretty bad, and I swear he got into almost no arguments after that, could be coincidence, could be he understood.
Dogs understand so SO much more than most people give them credit for. I really feel like that was the most important thing I learned working at the daycare; it was seriously incredible how similar dogs are to humans.

As another anecdote, my bf's dog would throw temper tantrums, and when he did, he often would not feel sorry at all when reprimanded. But after a few minutes he would crawl over, and gently kiss you, and be submissive, and it was definitely an apology. Whether it was because he felt bad or because he wanted to apologize so we could hang out again, who can say, but I feel it was sincere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dogs do feel guilty. When Maxx was younger, he is big time trouble maker. Once I left something within his reach, it won't be long until it's ripped. He's gone through a lot of scolding. I think most dog owners find it cute when their dogs show that guilty face and instead of showing them that they're mad because doggy did wrong, they unconsciously show that they're entertained by that cute guilty face. The dog then will think that he's get out of trouble when he does that cute guilty face and I think that is wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts