Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have not been on here in sometime- school, child, dog, and life have all been going full force leaving little time for chit chat.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Re: Can this be stopped by nuetering?

i wish i knew.  Have you asked a vet about him going under anethesia?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have not even done that.  I do know there are certains kinds of anesthesia that can be used for dogs who seize but I am assuming those are more costly.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Neutering would definitely help if not totally eliminate the peeing or marking things. As far as the anesthesia, I would think he should be fine, but since he has had seizure's in the past, discuss it with your vet and also make sure that your vet does not use Acepromazine. Acepromazine (Ace) is a tranquilizer that is often used as a preanesthetic agent. In Boxers, it tends to cause a problem called first degree heart block, a potentially serious arrhythmia of the heart. It also causes a profound hypotension (severe lowering of the blood pressure) in many Boxers that are given the drug. Be firm about this. Have the receptionist or vet tech mark your file on the front,"NO ACE". There are other preanesthetics they can use if absolutely needed.
Good Luck with this. If you are going to neuter, I would speak to your vet about all of this. I think he is at the right age to get it done to stop all of these behaviors.  :wink:

Lisa

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

I would think that neutering would help with Cactus's problem, but like Tootsie said, definitely have a good long chat with yor vet first before doing anything...If it's your regular vet, he knows that Cactus has had seizures and what would be the best course to follow.. Ditto also about the Ace,,,A good vet should know this, but I would rather err on the side of caution...Samson's medical records have it right across the front in bold writing..NO ACE.....

Let us know what you decide, ok? Poor Cactus, he's just soo happy to see people, huh? Lol...But not a good habit to have...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

My personal opinion on the "excitement peeing" is that the neutering is not going to be a solution for this.  It will help on marking though, but it doesn't sound like that is a problem.  If it was my dog I would approach meeting visitors in the following way.  I use this way for my own 7 month old and 2 year old currently to greet any visitors to our home.  

Make sure you take him out to potty right before the guests are to arrive (15 minutes or so)  Put him in an area away from the front door in his kennel or behind a gate, but so he can get a peek and hear the voices.  Have the people come in and ask them to "PLEASE IGNORE THE DOG.  DON"T TALK TO HIM OR LOOK AT HIM"  let them sit and visit a half hour or so with you first.  Tell them to remain seated and go put your six foot leash on him and take him out to potty and remain very calm and bring him in with you.  Ask your guest to not talk to him, but rather stay sitting while you bring him by the leash over to a chair across the room from your guest.  Sit down and talk softly to him about the nice people and ask him to "settle"  that means he should relax and sit or lay down by you.  If and when he does this he may meet the people.  If it is too much for him just keep him quietly at your side and return him to his safe area after a few moments. For meeting the people, keep him on the leash so you can direct his behavior so it doesn't get too wild and let him check them out with sniffing and ask them to please not talk to him, but rather let him get to know them on his own time.  This whole procedure would best be practiced with friends that would be open to the suggestion.  Ones who aren't, don't let dog out to meet, but rather leave him to relax in his kennel.  I would keep the meeting of the people short and positive and then go back over to the chair with him by your side.  They need to learn to relax and that good behavior makes good things happen.  This takes time but you will get there with him.

I don't neuter before my dogs are atleast a year. I feel they need the hormones to fully develope.  I don't believe in this early neutering.  I also use the moon signs to have elective surgeries done.  If you google this you will find the information you need for this.  There has been virtually no swelling or bleeding when I do this.  I would be sure to mention the ACE problem and request as has been suggested that it is not used and noted on the front of your chart.  I also went and extra mile and had a collar and leash in neon orange printed with the lettering "NO ACE PROMAZINE" for them to wear when going to the vet.    Also, make sure that the seizure thing is thoroughly discussed with your vet.  

Good luck to you and your wonderful Cactus.

Nano

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is some good advice everyone. I will deffinitely talk to Cactus' vet and mark the file myself if I have to NO ACE!  I think I will want to be there too in case something does go wrong that I can run in and say goodbye or hold him.  But seriously the thought of having to do that makes me not want to even consider it.  I cannot lose my puppy!

I am going to try your suggestions as well Nano.  In fact I am going to print up a sign for my door that says, "ignore the dog until he settles down.  If you don't he will get overly excited and pee on you........"  That seems to the point.  It will also show me alot about a guy who comes to pick me up before a date.... LOL

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
ANother thing you can do is have your dog meet the people outside.  If they can call you ahead to tell you they are almost there you can be out in the yard with him so the peeing happens outside while he's greeting.  Only problem is this can practice bad behaviors like jumping which all my boxers are prone to do.  It is best to make him wait and calm himself even before meeting guests outside. Once the wiggling and jumping calms down you can let him greet.  Make sure you use a command "say Hi" and extend your hand out in front of his nose to guide him towards the person and that gives him permission from you.

Good luck.

Nano

1 - 8 of 8 Posts