Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to all of this so please forgive me if I'm going about this the wrong way. I've just received devistating news that my love...my senior Boxer Luckie has hemangiosarcoma in his spleen. The vet recommend a splenectomy but I'm not sure that's the right decision for us. I am truly devastated to say the least! Anyone else have experience with this that would be willing to share? I'm so confused. Thanks! :cry:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum from Oklahoma. I'm so sorry to hear about your Lucky.

I dealt with cancer for 3+ years with my Gouda. I learned a lot of those years and did extensive research. I know hemangiosarcoma is a very aggressive and difficult cancer to treat. Your best line of defense is to research research and more research. Read as much as you can about hemangiosarcoma and be open to any and all treatments you can afford. I did NOT believe herbs/supplements would help Gouda, she had Cutaneous Epitheliotropic T Cell Lymphoma but Im a believer now! I believe it improved her quality of life and extended her life as well. Im NOT saying you will have the same results but if you are willing to fight for Lucky then its worth a shot.

What are you feeding Lucky? Dogs with cancer have very specific dietary needs, mainly low carbs/sugars(cancer feeds on carbs/sugars) and high protein(thats IF you dog doesnt have any other problem like kidney or liver disease).

Make sure to read these article from the holistic section in here. Also you will find more info there on abuot non traditional cancer treatments:

http://www.boxerforums.com/holistic...coma-dogs-holistically-herbs-supplements.html

Feel free to PM me I would be glad to help if I can. Also if you have facebook make sure to join the group Pet Cancer Support. I learned a lot there and the people are very supportive and will help you a lot. Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi and welcome. So sorry to be "meeting" you under these circumstances. :(

My family offers hospice care to boxers with cancer. Our very first hospice had hemangiosarcoma. When making your decisions, there are several things to consider. First, how old is your boxer? A splenectomy is a fairly invasive procedure. It would be harder on an older dog than a younger dog. Also, how big is the tumor? Did the vet give you any indication how likely the cancer cells have metastasized? What did your vet say as to prognosis with vs. without the splenectomy? If the tumor is advanced, there is a far greater chance that the cancer has metastasized. If that's the case, a splenectomy will not buy you all that much time so you have to determine if an expensive, invasive surgery is really worth a few extra weeks because that's probably all the time it will buy you, and you have to factor in that recovery time will wipe away whatever extra time you get.

Saba had a very large (softball sized) testicular tumor when we pulled him from the shelter. We had the tumor removed and we got the diagnosis. Based on the size of the tumor, we knew the cancer was advanced. We were given a timeline of 6 months with no treatment or 9 to 12 with treatment. (Since all of the dogs we take in are already seniors, we typically do not treat cancer with surgery or chemo and just let them live out their time.) Saba died 44 days after he arrived...his 6 month prognosis was far too generous, so surgery or chemo wouldn't have helped at all.

Needless to say, hemangiosarcoma is VERY aggressive. Because it's a cancer of the lining of the blood vessels, it travels everywhere in the body and invades every major organ before you ever begin to see any symptoms. Sometimes the most mindful owner won't even know anything is wrong until it's too late. The only positive I've found to this awful cancer is that there is no gradual, prolonged wasting away of the dog. Saba started having trouble breathing (benedryl helps with that) and less than 48 hours later we helped him cross the bridge. It was fast.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Sue (above) is a great resource for all things holistic. She's been helping me with how to cook for one of our dogs because he hasn't been eating lately. The Pet Cancer Support group on FB is also an excellent resource. I started with them when we took Saba in and I've been there ever since. Everyone is wonderful.

Good luck! Keep us posted! Prayers for you and Luckie. ♥

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
So sorry to hear about Luckie's diagnosis. I wish I could offer something helpful, but I don't know much about Luckie's cancer. I will say a prayer for Luckie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so very much. I guess I should have included more specific details in my thread. First off, Luckie is about 9 years old but we can't be sure as he is a rescue. He has a tumor on his spleen that is about 3-4 inches. He is experiencing anemia and has fluid built up in his abdomen. He still eats normally. We feed him Blue Wilderness dry food and will occasionally give half a can of wet food if he doesn't want to eat. He is taking 10 mg of prednisone every 12 hours and 2 capsules of fish oil at dinner. He does breathe with some difficulty and it is rather fast....especially at night. Not sure if that's because he's in pain or if the tumor is putting pressure on his organs. The vet gave us tramadol to use every 8-12 hours for pain but I gave him a first dose last night and his breathing was so rapid that I was afraid he wouldn't make it through the night. I haven't dosed him with it again. I'm not sure if he's in pain because of his stoic nature so I'm not sure what to do about the pain or how to know if he's in any. I think I have decided to not opt for the surgery because I feel like it has probably already metastisized because of the abdominal bleeding and I would rather comfort and love him his last few days rather than recover for 2 weeks and maybe live another month afterwards. I guess I don't really have a direct question right now. I'm at such a loss. It is so hard to be strong for him. Every time I look at that sweet face, I break down :(
I guess what I'm asking is if this is a painful death for him. I certainly don't want him to suffer. I worry that I won't be able to handle the situation of his spleen rupturing at home and him bleeding out right then. I would like to Be there if we have to let him go, but I don't want to do it too soon. He still seems to enjoy some quality of life. His whole bottom curls into a "c" and that nub waggles when he greets me after I have to leave him for a bit. And leaving him even for a few minutes to take the kids to school rips my heart out :( I will read up on herbal supplements and anything else I could do to prolong his life. It's just so hard to research and read through my tears.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
my prayers for Luckie... can you afford to do the spleenectomy? and what will the prognosis be after that.. his fast breathing sounds like it is pain related... what is the prednisone for? and will be praying for Luckie

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Hi. I lost my boy Mo to cancer 2 and a half years ago. He was 12. We were devastated! We never were really sure where the primary tumor was, but signs that it had matasticized made us make the same decision that you are making now. I will tell you that the prednisone gave him TREMENDOUS comfort in his last days. There is an old saying, never let a good dog go without trying prednisone. I am very greatful for the comfort it afforded him. Be prepared for increased appetite and more peeing. A small price to pay. As for the tramadol, it is a respitory depressant so I am not surprised that Luckie reacted the way he did. They had given us tramadol for Mo's pain as well....I never gave him a second dose because of the effects you are describing. I do sometimes give my senior Winnie a tramadol when his arthritis is really bad, but only a quarter dose and only when I am around. As for holistic, I would take Sue's (Gouda's mom) invitation to PM her because she has a wealth of information on that subject.

I am so sorry you and Luckie are going through this. I wish there was more I could say. Thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Also, I wanted to add that you will know when it is time to let go. Luckie will let you know.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Thank you all so very much. I guess I should have included more specific details in my thread. First off, Luckie is about 9 years old but we can't be sure as he is a rescue. He has a tumor on his spleen that is about 3-4 inches. He is experiencing anemia and has fluid built up in his abdomen. He still eats normally. We feed him Blue Wilderness dry food and will occasionally give half a can of wet food if he doesn't want to eat. He is taking 10 mg of prednisone every 12 hours and 2 capsules of fish oil at dinner. He does breathe with some difficulty and it is rather fast....especially at night. Not sure if that's because he's in pain or if the tumor is putting pressure on his organs. The vet gave us tramadol to use every 8-12 hours for pain but I gave him a first dose last night and his breathing was so rapid that I was afraid he wouldn't make it through the night. I haven't dosed him with it again. I'm not sure if he's in pain because of his stoic nature so I'm not sure what to do about the pain or how to know if he's in any. I think I have decided to not opt for the surgery because I feel like it has probably already metastisized because of the abdominal bleeding and I would rather comfort and love him his last few days rather than recover for 2 weeks and maybe live another month afterwards. I guess I don't really have a direct question right now. I'm at such a loss. It is so hard to be strong for him. Every time I look at that sweet face, I break down :(
I guess what I'm asking is if this is a painful death for him. I certainly don't want him to suffer. I worry that I won't be able to handle the situation of his spleen rupturing at home and him bleeding out right then. I would like to Be there if we have to let him go, but I don't want to do it too soon. He still seems to enjoy some quality of life. His whole bottom curls into a "c" and that nub waggles when he greets me after I have to leave him for a bit. And leaving him even for a few minutes to take the kids to school rips my heart out :( I will read up on herbal supplements and anything else I could do to prolong his life. It's just so hard to research and read through my tears.
From what you're describing, it sounds like things have already progressed. I'm so sorry. Please consider using the benedryl to help ease the fast breathing. Dose at 1mg/lb (50 lb dog = two 25 mg capsules). My vet said I could dose every four hours as needed. I was amazed at what a difference it made. The breathing can be caused by increased pressure on the lungs, but it's most likely that the cancer has metastasized to his lungs.

You will see a definite change in Luckie when it's time. With Saba, one day he was eating and wagging his nub, the next day he was lethargic, showing neurological symptoms (knuckling when trying to walk), and was a completely different dog. It was as if someone had turned off his "spark." We took him for one last ice cream cone, then we drove him to the vet and let him go. He didn't even flinch. He was ready. Honestly, if one of the tumors ruptures, Luckie will most likely be gone within the hour. I don't know that it's painful, but it's very quick. This type of cancer just sucks because there's really not much you can do. :(

Hang in there. We're here for you if you need us. Just give Luckie lots of love and appreciate the time you have left. You're in our thoughts and prayers. If you get a chance, we'd love to see some pictures and hear some stories about him. We encourage you to stay, even after. We're like a little family here, and we'd love for you to be part of it. God bless. ♥

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Your story has brougt tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry you and Luckie are going through this. Be as strong for Luckie as you can be and give him as much love and comfort that you can. I'm glad Luckie has you, and I will say a prayer for you both.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
so sorry to hear about your poor baby. There are some very knowledgable people on here that will help you out. As for me i will pray for you and your baby

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
My heart goes out to you . Having lost a very young boxer (under 3yrs ) I know how hard it is. Enjoy the time you have with him and as Winnie said he will let you knowwhen his time has come and you will know he's ready for you to help him cross the bridge. Hugs to you both from me and Baron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all so very much for the well wishes and prayers. I think I'm beginning to come to terms with this diagnosis and realize how very important it is for Luckie not to sense my pain. It's hard but of course I will do everything I can to make him feel a sense of "normalcy". I will be sure to keep everyone posted on his condition and will upload some pictures as soon as I figure out how :)
I can't believe I didn't find this group sooner! It's amazing what a few kind words from total strangers will do for a girls spirit. It's great to connect and share with people who have had similar experiences. Again, thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My sister's golden retriever Blaze passed away from hermangiosarcoma last summer (he's the brother to my golden retriever Taylor who passed away from cancer last summer also). My sister knew it was time when his breathing was so laboured that he wasn't able to comfortably lay down to sleep. She spent a couple of nights sitting up in the living room with her legs on either side of him so he could sleep sitting up and then knew it was time to let him go. Aspen and I flew home for the day and we all had a mini family reunion at my dad's cabin before he went to the vet. It was hard, but she knew it was time and he went peacefully.

So sorry you're having to go through this, we're all here for you.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
Welcome from NJ
Sorry you and Luckie have to go through this, stay strong, you will know when the time is right.
I will pray for you and Luckie.

:clover:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts