Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

New to the forum, so hello to all.  My pup Gunner is only 18mos.  and boy has he had quite the ride.  

New Years day of this year I came home to find Gunner laying on the couch looking about as pathetic as could be - 2 days, 1 spinal tap and hundreds of dollars later it turns out Gunner had Aseptic Meningitis.  He was treated for a mild infection and put on Prednisone... the treatment lasted approx 6-8 weeks (I can't remember that far back) but since then he's been great.  

Just a month ago I came home to find him in the same state.  I had noticed three days prior that he was favoring his back right leg, but only for a quick min.  I took him back to the vet who quickly decided that his meningitis came back and suggested we put him back on prednisone and amoxicillin (for any infection that could be there).  This seemed to be working, that is until the prednisone ran out.  

His drinking increased even after the pred. stopped,  he didnt eat much and was starting to act rather lame, sleeping all the time and looking really lethargic when he was up and about.  I decided at this point to do some poking around on the internet... after a very short hour I was pretty convinced that his kidney's were failing... so to the vet we go.  

The vet seemed to think it was a little too rare for kidney's in a dog his age to fail....  but wait doc... how common is meningitis...TWICE???  Anyhow, the doc was convinced that we just didnt give him enough time on the pred. and that we should do a better job of weening him off.  I asked, and he complied, for them to do a basic blood panel to check (if anything for my peace of mind).  An hr later the results were in,  all levels were normal.  

Bringing him home from the vet that afternoon he started vomitting.. a LOT, but this only lasted just this night (which has been about a week now) since then maybe once a night I'll catch him belching and perhaps swallowing whatever little bit may have worked its way out of his stomach.  

So... (I'm trying to make this as short as possible!, forgive me.) Got him back on Pred. and he's doing better.  Great!... or so I thought..  started giving him the meds every other day (to start weening) and have noticed that he is in pain on the days without his prednisone.  Yesterday seemed to be the worse... he didnt seem to want to put his back right leg on the ground... he'd keep it up while drinking/eating and limp on it when he walked.  I figured I'd take him in, have him x-rayed and figure out what the problem is...   well...

I wake up this morning to yet ANOTHER issue.  Gunner is now walking on his back right leg...  only because he can't walk on his front left... AT ALL!.  He's trying to move around with only one front leg...  I tried picking him up to set him outside and he was having no part of it... yelping in pain.  

So here I am... lost... miserable... feeling helpless...  

Anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, so sorry to hear that Gunner is having problems.  I wish I had some suggestions but I don't, sorry.  Hopefully someone on the forum will have some ideas for you.  Just wondering if you have considered getting a second opinion from a different vet or if you have a university vet clinic near by, just a thought.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my goodness...I am very sorry for all of Gunner's problems. I am not going to be much help with the medical, I know that others will be tho...Did you mention to the vet that he was having problems with his legs? That seems really odd side effect to meds, but then again I don't know...Hoping you can get some answers and Gunner gets on the road to recovery, bless his heart...Boxers have a high tolerance to pain, so it really must be bothering him....

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  So sorry your poor Gunnar is going through all of this.  I have no idea what is happening to him but sending good thoughts and prayers for a full recovery!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello and Welcome.  I have no advice, but I wanted to say how sorry I am that Gunnar and you are having to go through all this.  I hope the vet can find out what's going on and fix him up!  Go with your gut....if you want a test done make them do it!  Good luck with everything....keep us posted.  Feel better soon Gunner!

G

·
0 Posts
have they tested for anything autoimmune?  Prednisone for people is a steroid and a common treatment for autoimmune.  I refuse to take it because it causes all sorts of side effects...but I have talked to people with my condition *crohn's) who have had to be on it for years...and if they miss even a dose...it makes them very sick...could it be like a form of rheumatoid  arthritis? or another autoimmune joint disorder?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Gunner is having such a rough go at it.  :(  I hope you get to the root of his problem and he feels better soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking its something arthritic...  hopefully its not too severe - whatever it may be.

Gunner and Zoe our doxy

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Arthritis is a possibilty. Kinda unusual at that age, Hip dysplasia perhaps....Great pic of Gunner & Zoe...Looks like David & Goliath  :lol:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I had to take prednisone for a week because my face froze up...some trapped nerve but maybe in the dog something nervous system isnt right at the moment. Anyway i hope he starts to feel better soon and welcome. good luck.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is a strange thing to happen and I dont know that I have actually seen meningitis in a dog, much less twice.  But, it is possible.

On the leg/joint issue. I am not sure what is going on because it could be a number of things.  My first reaction was to tell you to seek a second opinion and also that there are other med's for joints, legs, pain and stiffness issues other then pred. I dont even use it for any of those.  I would try to see someone else see what they suggest.  My thought was to look into maybe some dex injections or tablets for him, that may be worthwhile, ask about them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts