Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am, Lola sits, shall I say stands in the backseat.  It really makes me nervous, and I can't get her to sit because she likes to look out the windows (see below!).  I bought a barrier thing from dog.com so she can't get into the front seat.  However, driving this morning I got cut off and had to stop short which sent Ms. Lola falling forward between the front and back seats.  She's fine, but I don't want that happening again.  Is there anything I can buy for the car to make the backseat safe?  Does anyone use those dog seatbelts?  

Thank you!

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Binga has a seatbelt for the car.  Its pretty much a harness, but it has wider straps like a seatbelt.  You put it on her and there is a big loop in the back you put the car seatbelt through.  Holds her in the seat and keeps her safe    :)     She can't move around, but I would rather her mad at me than hurt   :)

Bear hasn't gone on car rides yet.  When he did he was little and was in a crate.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My dogs sit in their seats really good.  They do make doggie seatbelts that I know some have tried.   So hoping something works for Ms. Lola.   Hanna actually sits in my front seat and I have used on trip down the cape the adult seat belt on her - ha ha ha

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I use a seatbelt too.  It's really been great, Oggie actually seems less anxious in the car when he has it on.  It keeps him secure and instead of trying to walk around he just sits or lays down.  I got rear-ended one time with him in the car and he fell right off the seat, I wouldn't take him anywhere without the seat belt again!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I keep him in the backseat because the front seat has an airbag.  I can only imagine an airbag could be deadly to a dog like they can be to small children.  Some cars have airbags in the backseats too so I would check that out first.

And yes, the only downside to the seatbelt is the ridicule factor from friends/family/strangers.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
you can get the seatbelts at petsmart.they are great!!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote="sully\";p=\"106295":2msoi6cg]I keep him in the backseat because the front seat has an airbag.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think I have the Easy Rider seatbelt, size Large.  I got it at Petsmart.  I won't say its the best because I really don't know what the others are like, a few people on here vouched for that one so I went and bought it.  Its a little tricky to use at first and it takes some getting used to for the dog too because if they struggle and try to turn around, it can get tangled.  So its important not to leave them in it unsupervised, especially until they are at ease with it.  The problem is that its just a big loop on a harness, and you put the car seatbelt through it, and if they try to move around that loop can get tangled with the seatbelt.  Someone really needs to design a dog seatbelt that clicks directly into the car buckle, that would be perfect.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Carseat safety is extremely important to me with my child so why wouldn't it be for my dog. They do make a clip (called a tether strap) that can connect to your dogs everyday harness and then it clips to the tether anchor found on all cars made from 2002 or 2003 and newer. The tether anchors are made for child restraints but in this case for dogs too. Heres a link
http://www.petstreetmall.com/Kwik-Conne ... tails.html

Ok so the link doesn't seem to be working. Try this one: http://www.thepamperedpetmart.com/Merch ... k=6W6wrj6g

G

·
0 Posts
[quote="Alicia\";p=\"106287":3nyw0d3i][quote="bingasmom\";p=\"106282":3nyw0d3i]Binga has a seatbelt for the car.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Maple is on a seat belt because she is a restless little thing, we got ours from Petco and it's a size Medium, I think it fits dogs 30lbs-60lbs or something like that, here she is in it:

she can move around in it but no too much so it works out great :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
And when you factor in the leather seats, my babies are sliding all over the place!  Samson actually used to ride "shotgun" with me, but with 2, they both sit in back and very seldom move around anyways...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tyson has a harness that doubles as a seat belt for him and it works wonders, he just usually lies down and goes to sleep whenever hes in the car :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Allie has the same one that Maple is wearing.  It works out great.  Allie sits or lays down and can still look out the window.  We also got a seat extender.  It is from www.inthecompanyofdogs.com It is inflatable and goes between the front seats and back seats.  They have a boxer in the ad for it.  It just makes it a little easier for her to lay down and think she is "part" of us in the front seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a seatbelt called Travelin Dog that I got at Petsmart. Both of my dogs sit well in their seats but my roommate was hit by an 18 wheeler; her dog was killed in the accident and she was hurt worse due to the dog being loose. Needless to say, I went and bought seatbelts that night and have used them faithfully ever since.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Alicia, you must've been reading my mind.  I was thinking about that yesterday when I took Mo out with me.  I meant to ask how many people use the doggie seat belts.  Thanks for asking that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts