Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks... been a long time since i posted anything... but could use any suggestions out there.

have a 10 1/2 yo 72 lb m-n white boxer (luke). has been pretty much healthy all his life, or so i thought. had a big scare over last weekend. rushed into emergency vet which he ended up staying in for a few days. diagnosis from the board cert cardiologist is DCM, right-sided congestive heart failure, and a serious ventricular arrhythmia. got him back home late monday. is on Furosemide, Pimobendan, and Mexiletine. most of the week has been keeping him calm & comfortable, get use to the meds, and transitioning back into the normal feeding routine with his regular kibble. have had him (and another 11 1/2 boxer i have) on acana singles for a number of years. when i have the followup with cardi in a week or so i'm sure she'll want to have the discussion on nutrition.

i've been doing a bunch of research of whats out on internet, and gathering up specs (as fed & dm analysis on all the specs and then some) on their current kibble along with a few others just in case i need to change in order to reduce sodium, chloride, etc etc... basically moving to something that may be more cardiac supportive. not saying i want to change but doing homework just in case. the few others i have gathered specs on are a couple of purina pro plan FOCUS sensitive skin and stomach (lamb and their salmon), royal canin vet early cardiac, hills prescription h/d, and rayne clinical nutrition Restrict-CKD. i know.... i understand and don't like the ingredient of most of them either but gathered up their specs for comparison as all the good foods i looked at just seem so high in sodium, chloride, phosphorus and potassium. rayne is a new one i was unfamiliar with but they did seem somewhat intriguing... although pricey.

if anyone has prior experience willing to share would be appreciated.... especially with nutrition (food you may have transitioned to for cardiac support... treats... any extras you added or things you made sure were not included). any other info / suggestions is appreciated as well... things i should consider, plan for, etc. i know activity levels will need to be restrained at least for awhile to let him get use to meds and see how that goes, get some recovery time in, etc... so no more big play dates with his buds or big walks or long time out in heat / humidity at least for awhile.

thanks in advance with any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Don't have any experience with DCM , but I also fed Acana singles and switched to Origin because it had higher protein.

I do add sardines and some raw hearts and eggs to his meals. Not sure about the eggs, but I know sardines and hearts, organ meats are really good for the heart. I believe anything with Taurine in it is good for the heart.

Sorry about your bad news, but thats a good job getting your boxer into double digits. It seems that is not the norm these days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks matt. yeah... for the longest time i wanted to get my 2 guys on orijen... but tried a few times many years ago and couldn't get them to work with it... so went with acana since i liked champion.

taurine is def one of the additives i have on my list for discussion with cardi.

and yeah... i've been blessed with my 11 1/2 yo and this 10 1/2 yo. was probably trying to keep a blind eye to the age they were getting to... and just keep them going along as healthy as possible for many more years but reality sinking in... and researching the board over the past couple of days just reinforced the luck i've had. so many other good parents out there that just lost their guys and gals too soon.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yup, I talked to a couple boxer owners and they said buy the small bag 1st because boxers don't tend to do well on Orijen(messy stools) lol. I guess I got lucky because he has been great on it.

Well hopefully treatment goes well for you guys and you have many more years with Luke. Good luck.(y)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had two die of food related DCM. They don't really know why for sure the grain free diets are killing dogs but now its thought the number of legumes and peas added to the food is maybe a cause now I have heard that even with foods with grains in them if the legume content is high there is still a problem. Those meds you are using are the same ones I used and they did help but very expensive. Activity restrictions are necessary like you are doing. Unfortunately for me once the DCM started in my dogs it went like a freight train they were doing well at first with the meds but within 3 months they both went down hill fast. I lost both of my dogs within 6 months of each other one was 7 one was 3 a very hard lesson learned.I hope your dogs do well

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Sorry you are dealing with DCM but you have been fortunate to have your guys reach their age. That in itself says something good. I think at this point in their lives I would follow my vets advise to control his heart issues. I wouldn't necessarily change foods unless suggested by vet. As Matt said many had a few sardines weekly to boost taurine. Purina has been researching and many have gone back to their foods too. I now have a standard poodle and he is fed Victor high performance. I add a little of another brand currently derrick beef & sweet potato, basically just for a change and he also gets dehydrated raw toppers, like instinct or sojos. From some of the food research I've done a big suspect in heart disease is the added legumes many have been using to boost protein levels in dog food.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks luvmiboxers & lindar. i have also been paying attention the past couple of years on the food topic. not in depth though. personally on the fence with it all, and probably like everyone else, would really like to see a full court press from some organization to gather detailed and comprehensive hard evidence / analysis one way or another. maybe something is out there and i'm missing it though... as mentioned was just really skimming thru the various press releases and articles coming out the past couple years to stay informed. with this issue now popping up with luke... was doing my typical rigorous reading / learning on the whole cardiac subject now that i have to deal with it, more from a perspective of what do i do now and what to watch for and expect... and ran across this effort and a recent publication they made in june (https://www.dcmresearchproject.org/). not sure where that one may lead or any timeframe. again... i am stuck on the fence with the whole issue... i'm pretty cynical and skeptical of everyone on both sides being that there's so much money on the line, but hopefully someone can get to the true root cause and put this to bed quickly cause something sure does look like it's going on.

·
Registered
570 Posts
What I would like to happen is for them to put warning labels on all grain free dog foods so people would know there is a risk there. My female in particular passed a echo and her heart was fine until I switched to grain free my boy was only 3 when he died as well they were both eating the same food. I only hope to warn others too so they don't have to go thru the pain I did it was one of the worst things to have happened to me. I blame myself all the time because I fed it to them and I did not know. Its a guilt I will never get over.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Here are some of the latest articles I found,

So either they still really just don't know for sure exactly what the cause is. Mostly it seems there is a genetic factor and a specific nutrition factor. I don't think they will ever know for sure. I think our best bet is 1. lok for breeders that genetically test, and 2. give a varied diet .
When I was a kid we never had many health issues with our dogs, they got a can of food, cheap dog food, and kibble. But then again dogs breeding was far less, they were hardly ever spayed or neutered and if your dog lived to be 10 you thought that was great. Today our dogs are more and more part of our daily family life, we want them around longer and to remain healthy. Sometimes , like some of us, we get health issues. Then its time for the doctor/vet in our dogs cases to help keep us going.

I sure do hope they can find what helps keep your guy healthy.
Luvmiboxers Don't beat yourself up for going grain free , its what they were telling us and beside there is a genetic factor involved too so they were probably pre disposed, especially the 3 year old.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My 3 year old was predisposed his father has it and he passed it to 3 of the 5 puppies in the litter, but they are all still alive with medication the difference in those dogs and mine is the other dogs were never fed grain free and they are still here my boy went down really fast. Those dogs only got tested because my dog was found to have it and then the others were diagnosed and yes that male should not have been bred its the reason alot of breeders do the testing but it is what it is now and I loved that dog so much it hurts me every time I think about it. He would still be here if it weren't for grain free and I know that in my heart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi folks... been a long time since i posted anything... but could use any suggestions out there.

have a 10 1/2 yo 72 lb m-n white boxer (luke). has been pretty much healthy all his life, or so i thought. had a big scare over last weekend. rushed into emergency vet which he ended up staying in for a few days. diagnosis from the board cert cardiologist is DCM, right-sided congestive heart failure, and a serious ventricular arrhythmia. got him back home late monday. is on Furosemide, Pimobendan, and Mexiletine. most of the week has been keeping him calm & comfortable, get use to the meds, and transitioning back into the normal feeding routine with his regular kibble. have had him (and another 11 1/2 boxer i have) on acana singles for a number of years. when i have the followup with cardi in a week or so i'm sure she'll want to have the discussion on nutrition.

i've been doing a bunch of research of whats out on internet, and gathering up specs (as fed & dm analysis on all the specs and then some) on their current kibble along with a few others just in case i need to change in order to reduce sodium, chloride, etc etc... basically moving to something that may be more cardiac supportive. not saying i want to change but doing homework just in case. the few others i have gathered specs on are a couple of purina pro plan FOCUS sensitive skin and stomach (lamb and their salmon), royal canin vet early cardiac, hills prescription h/d, and rayne clinical nutrition Restrict-CKD. i know.... i understand and don't like the ingredient of most of them either but gathered up their specs for comparison as all the good foods i looked at just seem so high in sodium, chloride, phosphorus and potassium. rayne is a new one i was unfamiliar with but they did seem somewhat intriguing... although pricey.

if anyone has prior experience willing to share would be appreciated.... especially with nutrition (food you may have transitioned to for cardiac support... treats... any extras you added or things you made sure were not included). any other info / suggestions is appreciated as well... things i should consider, plan for, etc. i know activity levels will need to be restrained at least for awhile to let him get use to meds and see how that goes, get some recovery time in, etc... so no more big play dates with his buds or big walks or long time out in heat / humidity at least for awhile.

thanks in advance with any suggestions.
I put my guy on Royal Canin When he was diagnosed with DCM at his cardiologists suggestion. Ali’ was 9 When he was diagnosed. That was in 2011. He passed at the age of 12 in 2014. He’d have ground turkey and ground chicken (cooked) with it. Now I ask myself did we give him the right food? I don’t know. I know we were lucky to have him that long. But somehow it never seems long enough. Just lost our “grand puppy” at the age of 4 to Juvenile Renal Dysplasia! I was so worried about cancer or heart in the boxer breed. Never thought of kidney! Prayers to you and your beautiful boy!

·
Registered
570 Posts
It sounds like your guy lived a good life got to a good age so you must have been taking good care of him. No matter what we do as owners we can't prevent some of the things that happen to our dogs. Most Vets now will not recommend any grain free
I put my guy on Royal Canin When he was diagnosed with DCM at his cardiologists suggestion. Ali’ was 9 When he was diagnosed. That was in 2011. He passed at the age of 12 in 2014. He’d have ground turkey and ground chicken (cooked) with it. Now I ask myself did we give him the right food? I don’t know. I know we were lucky to have him that long. But somehow it never seems long enough. Just lost our “grand puppy” at the age of 4 to Juvenile Renal Dysplasia! I was so worried about cancer or heart in the boxer breed. Never thought of kidney! Prayers to you and your beautiful boy!
dog foods and if your dog comes down with any cardiac issue they will recommend taking them off of it and going to grain inclusive diet. I learned the hard way. I feed RC also my guys do best with the sensitive digestion formula and I boil boneless skinless chicken breast and shred it up for meat on their meals they are doing well with it. I am sorry you lost your 4 year old to the kidney disease its really awful to lose them when they are young, it was very hard on me to lose my 3 year old he didn't even get to have much of a life so that was very hard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone,

I just want to say thank you all for your feedback, suggestions, stories and contributions to my question.

I too never thought I'd be in this situation, but as I mentioned both of mine are getting up there in age, so I guess the probabilities of something happening I guess just rise. Guess I was just trying not to think about having any issues as long as I could... is why this happening now is all a bit of a shocker to me.

For those of you that have battled an issue previously, no matter what it was or when in the dog's life, I am so sorry for your loss. I can read between the lines of your words and messages that no matter how long they were with you, I'm positive they had the best life and time they could have had. I can tell all of you are very much dedicated to your pups... just like me.

I am most definitely taking in your experience and suggestions in figuring out my next steps with Luke's heart issues, and Apollo as well. Thank you again.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good luck with your dogs heart issues, they do make some very good heart meds now so I hope those will help your dogs enjoy their lives to the fullest. It seems there is a big difference in dogs with DCM from food and DCM hereditary or incidental with the later responding better to treatments available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts