Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGHHHHH!!!! I cannot keep dungy away from the cats... idk what to do... he goes after them every second he gets and yesterday he was less than a cm away from getting his cornea scratch... he has a scratch right above the eye.  AND NOW... he just got his nose cut open by one of them... he wont leave them alone.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me what i can to do keep him away from them or something

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well the only thing i could suggest is when you see him trying to play with the cats make a loud noise and say "NO" firmly. my kitten loves playing with the girls so there isnt too many problems in that area in our house.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Just another suggestion, if he has furry squeaky toys put them away! We had to eliminate all of Donners animal-like squeakies. It really seemed to help decrease his prey drive!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm not going to be much help, mine messed with the cats, but after getting slapped around a little bit, they learned their lesson.  Now they love to chase them in the yard, but believe me, they know not to touch them!!  My cats rule the roost around here.  Good luck though, I know how frustrating it is to watch him go after those fluffy little toys, he just can't help himself.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do say no and i am ignored and i have to jump up and grab him

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
if you make the loud noise it could startle him, then say the no. thats all i got. or you could squirt him with water....we do that when the cats jump on the counters or the table to teach them no...maybe that could work?? i dunno....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ugh and it is hard for me to be extra agressive cause i dont want to be too aggressive

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hmmm my siamese could careless about the dogs trying to play he jsut lays down and looks at them haha they think hes no fun so they walk away...our tiger cat is only a year old and a TERROR..the dogs still chase her but they dont get too too close...shell beat them up lol..sometimes Isis will keep at it though..shes gotten scratched a few times but doesnt seem to care..

id do the spray bottel idea..id bet that works great for ya

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i agree with the spray bottle. it works for me to keep sumya away from the table when we are eating dinner and off of the kitchen counters.and yes you will probably get the "how could you do that to me"look, but a squirt of water in the face is a lot safer thatn a scratched cornea :D .

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I used the spray bottle method to keep my cat out of the Christmas tree last year and have a feeling I will be filling it up for both of them to stay out of it this year.  

I understand how you feel because I sometimes feel that Fiona drives our cat insane. He runs from her and growls at her non-stop.  Just when I am sure that the cat hates Fiona, I catch him annoying Fiona and trying to get her to chase him, so then I dont feel so bad. I have always wondered if they have a complete prey drive and cant resist because you see so many boxer rescue's listed as for homes with no cats. For the most part I let them do their thing, but my cat has no front claws so I am not worried about Fiona getting scratched in the face or eyes....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I wouldn't consider a shout as being aggressive...You are looking ot protect Dungy, right? Also try keeping him tethered to you with a leash for a bit...That might help some as well...Buck just learned after awhile that the kitty was not a play toy and they learned to live together peacefully :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts