Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
both of my dogs, but especially Jetta will not leave the cat litter alone...what can i do to stop this behavior...it's icky and not fun and i don't want them kissing me if they eat that crap (literally!)

·
Registered
913 Posts
LMAO!! Ashley when she was smaller used to sneak into the cats "room" and have herself some filet of crap. Sh could not deny it, as the litter was stuck to her FACE!! This is the ONLY time I have spanked my pup..I trailed her one day, and caught her with her head in the box, and had to give her a paddling. The worst part..she was mid meal, and had what looked like a poop cigar sticking out of her mouth when I did it! I didn't know if I should laugh at that, or feel bad that I layed my hands on her!
My only solution..I put tht litter box facing the wall ( its a covered box ) and her big old body no longer can make the turn to get in ( cats..hey they are cool with it..slink around the front and step right in) I know no other methods, as you can not spray the box with any scents, as then you will be cleaning kitty poop off the floor, because THEY will never use it again. I feel your pain!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I did the same.....faced the box to the wall and left just enough room for the cat to get in....Either that or put it somewhere the dogs cant get.  I had a friend that put hers in the laundry room and then installed a tiny little pet door in that door so the kitty could fit through but the dog could not.  I thought that was a good idea....You will not keep them out of it....once they start it....You can also try products like Forbid....you feed it to the cat and it is suppose to make the cat poop taste bad....who would think it taste good ?? haha....

ahhhhh kitty krunchies!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, we've tried putting it against the wall...Bo and Jetta work together to move it away from the wall...literally...we will be out in the living room...and notice they are being too quiet, i go out to the kitchen and the cat box is in a totally different place than where we put it, lol

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ugh.. I think we all have had our pups do this @ one time or another.... Prada just eventually grew out of it.... but I wouldn't put it past her now either. *heh* I guess try & keep the litter up and/or clean it often. I'm not sure what other advice I can give since I never really rectified it myself... sorry...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe loves the kitty litter box and I tried everything and she would go munching even when it was completely clean with nothing in it..She would just sit there wanting to eat the actual kitty litter. We had to hide the cat box completely or else she would sit there crying and whining to get to it. We used a good sized cabinet that had doors on the bottom of it and hubby just cut a little doorway out of the back of it then I put a stick up light inside so the kitty wasn't in the dark and that ended the problem.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wow -- that's a really good idea. I'm glad it worked! :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Our last boxer, Sophie was a "tootsie roll" FANATIC!! We ended her sneaky snacking by putting the cat boxes (3 of them) in the laundry room and putting a baby gate about 6 inches off the floor across the doorway. Donner and Blitzen have no interest in what's behind the gate and are content to watch the cats come and go. If you don't have an area to block off can you put the cat box up on something (maybe turned backwards) they can't reach but cats can??

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
OMG! the entire gang....plus my brothers dog loves the "treats" the cats leave behind. We first bought a covered cat box, that stopped them for a bit, then we had to put the hole the cats went in facing the wall...what we did was put it in the guest bathroom and squished it between the toilet so they couldnt move it. Then we moved! :)  so we had to come up with a different way since we dont have that guest bathroom anymore, the way my kitchen is set up i have this space that is big enough for the cat food and litter box to be hidden. I have an kitchen island that is up against the wall, and there is a space that is wide enough for the cats to fit through, but not wide enough for the dogs. that way the cats have their privacy for eatting and doing their buisness and i put an end to the additional treats the dogs were gettimg!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
My last boxer, Sexy did this as well and I did try the facing it against the wall method because our litter box is also covered, but she would just move it and get in there anyway....So I went out and bought a baby gate and put it across the bathroom door, and this solved the problem.....And as for Gaby she has never tried getting into it yet so I just took the gate away....she still hasn't discovered it yet, and I hope she never does...gross :puke:  :puke:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts