Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trick that I have always thought was cool was that ability to catch a treat when thrown.  The only dog I have ever been able to get to do that was my black lab of 13 years, Midnight.  I've tried with a husky, dobie and even a chocolate with no success.  They all just sit there and watch it smack them in the face.  I think Midnight just did it naturally and it is obvious that Ringer doesn't possess this trait.  He tries to catch toys that are thrown to him.  It is possible that he can't see the treats because they are so small.  Perhaps I should get bigger sized treats.  He carries a full size foot (soccer) ball around the yard with no difficulty so his mouth is plenty big. :eek:

·
Registered
942 Posts
I lol'd at "They all just sit there and watch it smack them in the face."

Our dogs will catch almost anything thrown at them...Kaci more so than Milo.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
ROTFLMAO.....We tried that with Angel, with the same result Dan...Treats just hitting her in the face, her head, you name it...Course maybe if I worked with her more, she might be able to catch  :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
hahaha....Maddy is like that too...she just looks so confused, when it hits her! Every once in a while she will surprise us and catch a ball or toy, when we are playing fetch...I guess I am glad it isn't just my silly dog that, "sits there and watches it smack them in the face."

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is a grainy picture, but Jaxon is doing quite well!  We've never had a dog that could catch a treat, but Bayla will balance one on her nose forever until you say it's ok (even when I turn my back!!!)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin catches treats! The first few times... several really... they just smacked him in the face. I started trying when I noticed my neighbors mutt (WE HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HE IS) could catch ANYTHING thrown to him (treat wise, he's not big on toys or anything). I just kept doing it...finally Odin started getting GOOD. Kyrie... well she just let's them hit her in the face... and Nikki is too small to just throw the treats at her... I'd be afraid I'd seriously injure her! LOL

He's not a 100% but just about. The only thing he won't catch that's considered a treat is a piece of ice... he'll take if from my hand but if I toss it his way... it just hits him in the head. Of course, every time I take a video of him catching a treat... he doesn't! Go figure huh!? Not that I've really tried.

Just keep trying... maybe he'll get it at some point!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i have been trying to teach sumya to catch, but of course it ends up landing on the floor and there is no effort or attempt on her part at all. she just looks at me like" was i supposed to do something?" silly silly boxers. :roll:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tyson will catch treats or anything else you throw at him no matter how far away.  He will also balance treats on his nose and then flip them up in the air and catch them, the only catch is you better move your hand away really fast or you will become some of the snack.

Scott

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim can catch treats, even if thrown from across the room. His eye coordination is amazing. How do you teach them to balance a treat on their nose? that sounds neat.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Basically if he didn't catch the treat and it fell on the floor then he didn't get it.  He is really food driven so he will do anything for a treat.  I am really lucky as to how well Tyson is trained.  The other night when I fed him, he is always made to sit and wait until I tell him it is ok to eat, I was interrupted and needed to step away for a second, well the second turned into 10 mins. and I remembered Tyson so I look over and he is still there waiting by his bowl.  I felt soooo bad I gave him extra treats.

Scott

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it wasn't too hard to teach it.  I figured since I was home this week 'working' I would spend a couple minutes trying to get Ringer to catch his treats.  All I had to do was toss one in my mouth and show him what I wanted and he caught on after the second one.  He obviously isn't 100% yet but it's a start.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
tysonsdad\";p=\"61710 said:
Basically if he didn't catch the treat and it fell on the floor then he didn't get it.  He is really food driven so he will do anything for a treat.  I am really lucky as to how well Tyson is trained.  The other night when I fed him, he is always made to sit and wait until I tell him it is ok to eat, I was interrupted and needed to step away for a second, well the second turned into 10 mins. and I remembered Tyson so I look over and he is still there waiting by his bowl.  I felt soooo bad I gave him extra treats.

Scott
LOL Odin will wait to be fed and told it is okay... but I don't know if he'd wait that long if I've wondered off! LOL I would have felt REALLY BAD TOO!! LOL TOO FUNNY

·
Registered
905 Posts
Both of ours catch treats, but it was all Emmet's handiwork, I must confess.  He just started by dropping the treat into their mouths from just above, and then moving further and further away each time til he was really throwing them  (note: you need to have sit/stay down also for this method to work, ha ha!)

I LOVE that photo of Jaxon!  He looks like the doctor just told him to open wide and say "Ahhhhhh"!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts