Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Spinx and I took the Canine Good Citizen test tonight and failed miserably.  Once he found out that he wasn't going to get a reward for every behavior, he completely tuned out and I was unable to get his attention or even have him sit.  It was quite embarassing but funny at the same time.  It's interesting because he is always amazing in our level 4 CGC prep class.  He does every test wonderfully and better than most in the class, but it must be because he is getting good rewards.  Guess I'll have to work on fading them.

Has anyone else here passed the CGC with their boxer?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Man that is awesome he is going for it! He will get there.  :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
All I can say is good luck next time! At least you know you just need to practice without food.  I guess you could start using food one time, and not another so he won't know when it is coming. Both of mine will do it without food (mostly) but boy are they quick when you whip out the treats!
I need to find time to work with Felix... he is a year old now and I want to get him certified to be a therapy dog :)
So, what is the test like?  What are the tasks you have to complete?

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
He's such a cutie, i would have had to pass him if i was judging it just because he was soooo cute! :D

Whats the CGC for?? Dont think we have that in the UK?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
That is why treats must be phased out of training and I don't even use them at all for my obedience training. I want my dog's "HEART" to be the thing that is involved in my training, not his "head" over a bunch of treats. I do use them as a treat after training and being a good dog or at random moments during walks to reinforce connecting, but not for the completion of a command.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm actually rather glad Ashley doesn't respond to treats ( she is so completely distracted trying to GET the treat..nothing works! )
As a pup, she was rewarded for commands in a different way..'PRAISE" she gobbles that up as much as a food treat! When we do our training, there never is a treat involved...lots of love.."good girls" belly rubbs..all her favorite I'm getting mommies attention things.
I know some dogs are more food motivated then others, but I think the connection Ashley and I have is very strong due to the treat rule. ( she DOES get them, just like Nano stated above..at random times, and sometimes for no reason...) I will admit, her fav treat is cheese..this is how I got her to get in her crate..now when she see's a piece of cheese in my hand..she RUNS to ther crate to get in...such a relief. But I am waiting for the day we have company, and the dog is trying to break the crate door down to get in for her cheese, and the people over think I beat her or something because she wants IN the crate so badly!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Simply the fact that you have achieved close to that level is awesome if you ask me...you both should be commended :) I am trying not to use a lot of treats while training Flick and that gives me an added incentive...Good luck and give it some time and I bet you will do it :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Ollie passed his CGC earlier this year. TBH, I was surprised  :eek: .
I thought his toughest test was going to be the calmly meeting a new dog - but he passed that with flying colors. Luckily, the dog they used was the mellowest german shephard I have ever seen (and Ollie has issues with them, go figure).
He failed the distractions test the first time - he freaked out with the crutches. Luckily you get a second shot with one test and after getting him to completely focus on me, he did super.
I was so proud, I teared up  :lol: .
I think working with Ollie on focusing and lots of praise (instead of the treats - b/c he is VERY food motivated - ha!) really worked. We practice "Me" a lot - and he just stares at me with his big ole brown eyes.
Good luck with the training and the test next time!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Aww Spinx will get there don't worry.  I am so glad you brought up the treat thing, I need to stop treats with Kiah while training and just use praise.

Kiah and Keegan will be taking the test in September at the rescue Boxer Bash.  I am not too worried about Keegan passing but my wild child may not do as well but eventually we will get her there :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
brchristians\";p=\"119650 said:
Has anyone else here passed the CGC with their boxer?
My boxer mix Odin, who passed away last fall, had passed his CGC and TDI tests.

When we were waiting for our turn the night of the test the woman sitting beside us was working with her dog and it was following all her commands beautifully. When she got up to take the test however, her dog would not do anything but sit there. I felt really bad for her, she was almost in tears.

Good luck for next time!

Kerri

1 - 12 of 12 Posts