Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been switching to Canidae.  I generally feed 3 times a day.  Starting yesterday, all Canidae.  

Well this morning, Champ is refusing food.  I even tried some chicken broth and he refused that too!   He pooped this morning and it looked normal.  He isn't drinking water either.  When he goes outside he tries to eat grass.  Otherwise his behavior is pretty normal as well.

Any thoughts will  be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
might just be having a bit of belly trouble....or maybe he isnt taking the kibble switch very well. When my babies have a bit of belly trouble the vet told me to put a little real pumpkin in their food and they down it then. Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
It may be the weather or the change in food may have upset his belly.
I notice our dogs won't eat if it is so hot outside and right now is one of those times. It is 100+ degrees here and has been for the past week. I notice they won't eat until right at bedtime, but we leave food down all day and night for them, since we have 3 dogs.
Our puppy, Kaiser, eats grass all the time and has since we have had him, but he doesn't throw it up.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
We just switched to Canidae and Kane loves it.  He previously was a real problem eater on Nutro - Nature's Choice.  I'd have to add human food (bacon, chicken broth, hamburger, eggs, etc.) to even get him to eat it, and then he'd have go to the bathroom 5 or 6 times a day on 2 - 1 1/2 cup feedings (morning and night).   As we brought the Canidae in the door, he was practically started doing back flips, sniffing and begging to be fed.  He loves it and it seems to agree with him.  

When on the Nutro, he too would eat grass, and that has shopped.  I've always heard that dog's eat grass when they have an upset stomach or need to throw up, but I'd have to defer to the experts.  Hope it all works out for you.

"There

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.  

Starting to get really worried.  He won't eat or drink anything.  He loves hard boiled eggs and usually scoffs it down but he's refusing that too.  

He enjoys his evening feeding most since I mix in cooked ground beef.   If he doesn't eat that tonight...off to the vet in the morning.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hope Champ is ok, please keep us posted....It could possibly be the food switch, but when you offer up his favorites and he won't eat, yea, I'd be a bit concerned also. Mine are both grass eaters as well, some days more than others, never had any problems with that....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He ate tonight.  YEA!!!  I was really getting worried.   Hopefully he will be back to normal now.  About the grass.   They are never outside alone and when they try to eat grass I stop them.  Should I let them eat it if they want to?

·
Registered
270 Posts
We feed ours Canidea as well.  Lately, because ours got kinda stubborn and started to refuse to eat, we have been adding a small amount of the Canidea canned.  They LOVE it!  Has anyone heard about adding a raw egg to their food???  My boyfriend's relative has had a few boxers, and he always did that at breakfast time.  He said it is great for their coat, eyes...and I forget what else.  Any thougths????

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback.   Very good question about eggs.  I have been giving hard boiled eggs to my two.   Wonder if mixing them raw with their food would be more beneficial than giving them boiled?  Should there be concern about salmonella?  

Can anyone share some wisdom?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We have given raw egg before to the girls, it will not be harmful to them you just dont want to do it often. I would say no more than twice a week. I know it helps with the coat and making it shiny but not sure the other benefical reasons

1 - 12 of 12 Posts