Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if theres anything I could add to camos dry kibble to change up the flavor. Like small pieces of raw meat or something. I don't want to go to a complete raw diet or anything simply because I can't afford to feed him raw meats all the time. I just want some good ideas to mix into his food every now and then to change up the flavor a little bit so he don't get so bored with it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
An easy thing I do is just every so often I put hot water on the dry food, stir it and let it cool.... they go crazy for the food, even though it is the same stuff they have every day.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Maybe some warmed chicken broth or put a beef bullion cube in some warm water and mix it in with the kibble?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think I read somewhere about mixing plain yogurt in with the food.. I could be completely wrong though. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill try the beef broth deal. I put some pb in with his food n he didn't leave till the peanut butter was gone. And ya I've done yogurt before. That's supposed ti help with stomach probs and diarrhea! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Just make sure the broth is low sodium or better yet, sodium free. You don't want to give them too much salt.

As BillieSB409 said, you can also mix plain yogurt in there.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Cottage cheese .. Yogurt .. Pumpkin .. Olive oil .. Coconut oil .. Scrambled eggs .. Boiled chicken .. Canned tuna or sardines.
Your not really suppose to mix raw and kibble so if u want to feed a little raw feed it separate as they digest at different rates and can cause an upset tummy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cottage cheese .. Yogurt .. Pumpkin .. Olive oil .. Coconut oil .. Scrambled eggs .. Boiled chicken .. Canned tuna or sardines.
Your not really suppose to mix raw and kibble so if u want to feed a little raw feed it separate as they digest at different rates and can cause an upset tummy.

Would it be ok to say give kibble in a morning and raw in the evening or should you not mix them this way either?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Would it be ok to say give kibble in a morning and raw in the evening or should you not mix them this way either?

I have read a few people who do this. Your best bet is to ask 2manydogs (Kari)- she has been my savior transitioning my 2 to raw over the past year. Lol. I think as long as you leave 12 hours in between it should be fine although still not ideal. Would you be interested in going fully raw? I was scared on prices but last week we found a great local farmers market which had amazing prices - we pretty much are paying the same price as if we were feeding kibble.
Also if your going to do half and half there are 2 things you have to worry about 1. That your pup is getting all nutrients. (Not lacking from kibble bc ur feeding raw and the other way round).
And 2. That ur dog doesn't stop eating kibble once you fed raw. That happened to me. I fed mine raw for 1 year, tried to switch to kibble bc of moving and Buddha refused to eat it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was wondering if theres anything I could add to camos dry kibble to change up the flavor. Like small pieces of raw meat or something. I don't want to go to a complete raw diet or anything simply because I can't afford to feed him raw meats all the time. I just want some good ideas to mix into his food every now and then to change up the flavor a little bit so he don't get so bored with it.
I need to thank you for this post! After I read it I decided to try mixing in some extra goodies with my pups' food. I gave it to them when I ate lunch and I didn't have 4 beady eyes staring at me while I ate haha. :clap2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feed kibble, but also plain Greek yogurt (not sugar or flavor), coconut oil (just starting this, very slowly), sardines (he goes crazy for these), homemade liver treats made with potato flakes and other grain-free homemade dog treats. I freeze plain pumpkin and yogurt in a small ice cube tray and he gets that every once in a while. I do feed the yogurt every day, though.

I plan to try boiled chicken and I have some lean leftover ground beef and ground pork that I think I'll cook up and try after draining as much fat as possible. I'll only give this in small amounts, though. I try to give him variety, but only a little at a time to avoid upset stomach.

ETA: Our guy is thin, as we just rescued him, so I haven't been decreasing his kibble to add these things. He's putting on weight now, though, so soon I will have to decrease his kibble when feeding the extras for obvious reasons. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts