Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog Bruiser is about a year and a half old. The last few weeks he has been peeing in his sleep - literally while he's sleeping. It has happened when he's napping on the couch with my husband, he won't even stand to pee, but all of a sudden it's wet. Even when we let him out before bed, it's happened just a few hours later.

The vet ruled out a UTI a week and a half ago, but it has still happened a few times - not every day, but maybe every few days. We switched his dog food from Royal Canin for Boxers to Victor, back in August, because he stopped eating his Royal Canin and was losing weight. He eats normal, maybe drinks more water, but it's getting crazy.

Any advice? We are considering maybe switching food again to either Taste of the Wild High Prairie, Wellness Core, Natural Balance, or Blue Buffalo.

I will take any advice I can get!

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Not food related. He either has a UTI which your vet has ruled out, an issue with his prostate (is he neutered?) or it it might be urinary incontinance, though this is more common in females; it can still happen to males.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Zuke had this start after he was about a year. Very sporadic but seemed to happen when he was in REM sleep. Lasted about 2 months and hasn't occurred since. Probably did it about 6 times over the course of the 2 months.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My dog did this at night for a while. We concluded that she was stressed as we had just extended our house, we had broken through the barrier between the new and old house and it was twice the size overnight! so she had all that space all on her own at night. We put her in her crate at night for a month or so until she got used to it and she stopped wetting at night. My sister's bulldog used to wet at night when she stayed with us and never did it when she was at home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There might be other reasons why your dog may be peeing in its sleep. you should change back to the old diet and confirm your theory. else bring your dog to see the vet. there might be contents within the new food that may be causing your dog the whole peeing in its sleep issue

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is an old post. Food doesn't make your dog pee in his sleep. If you check with dogfoodadvisor all the food she used were rated high.
I would agree and disagree. In a health dog it shouldn't be a problem but if the dog has a underlying kidney problem, a high protein diet could cause problems.
I've seen it first hand with one of out rescue pups

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I had a Boxer who would leak urine at times. It ended up he tested positive for a tick borne disease. It was a low response, but it increased when he was tested again a couple months later. We ended up treating with doxycycline even though the tests just indicated "exposure". The treatment stopped the leaking. We're in Wisconsin, and this TBD issue is a biggie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts