Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age do boxers typically start getting the white/silver in their muzzles? I ask because I have noticed that Savannah is starting to get white in the black part of her muzzle!! she will be 3 on Dec 9 and i feel she is too young to be turning white already!! now it isnt a lot, but it wasnt there when she came home this past March.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would guess that usually between 6 and 7 do they start to "gray".  However, I have seen and heard of dogs starting to "gray" as early as 1.  I guess it just depends on the dog.

G

·
0 Posts
I think it varies for dogs like it does people...

there are some of us like me(22 and going gray) or steve martin who gray early....and some who seem to never gray...we have an 8 year old beagle mix who is going pretty gray...and an almost 8 year old golden/gsd mix who has almost no gray...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
our blk lab is just turning 6 and has quite a bit of gray on his chin and stomach

i wonder if Isis will get any gray

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Genetics plays a role in that, just like with humans. My grandmother(my Mom's mom) was gray at 21. Me, I have a very few...Buck started sprouting a few grey hairs at about 3 as well, so I wouldn't be alarmed Andrea. It doesn't necessarily mean that she won't live a long life. Samson had just a few when I got him at 6, and we all know what he looks like now  :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
My friend pat is my age... and hes been gray for about 5 years...

same thing with hair loss... my grandfather was bald by 30, my dad was bald by 30 and my brother also...

My boyfriend and his dad both have a full head of hair... and not likely to thin any time soon.

G

·
0 Posts
angela...that's weird that the baldness in ur family is "like father like son"  the baldness gene is on the x chromosome...meaning in men it's inherited from the mother's family...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts