Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my little guy is now 8 months and for the last 2 weeks he has been starting to get different.  What I mean is he was so calm and a lap dog.  While he still wants to be with us he is starting to get crazy.  He is starting not to listen all of the sudden!!!!  He jumps on my husband like crazy but not with me.  Could this be because he plays will him the most or what is going on?  Do they hit a rebel stage or is this sometihng that needs extra attention?  How much do they need to be exercised? Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
LOL..sounds like a case of the teenage rebellion that most Boxers go through just before one year!! All mine did, and all you can do is reinforce all your training, and don't put up with any gruff from your dog.
The good news is...this seemed to be the final "battle" for Who's The Boss.. in their lives..get past this, and you have clear sailing!!
Good luck..its ALOT harder to stop a full grown boxer freight train, then a 20 lb puppy!!
Oh, and as far as exercise...LOL..can anyone on here give too much to an 8 month old!! Wooo..Boxers on speed would be a good description...let em get enough till you sense they are tired ( but not to the point you have to CARRY them in the house!!  :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no say mine is probably close to 60 lbs already and absolutely pure muscle!!!  As long as this is a normal thing I feel better!!  He is not super bad but he has a major attitute problem like barking at us when we tell him NO!!!!!!!  All of the sudden too!!! Tahnks for the peice or advice.  By the way are you the person who's dog digs?  Mine does it on spite and it is only WHEN IT RAINS

·
Registered
913 Posts
LOL..we cured the digging by doing the "its raining pennies" bottle..the first time I chucked that plastic bottle near her while digging ( gotta get creative to get out the door with out them seeing you! ) You would have thought a land mine went off! She was so funny..her little butt went down..and she tore across the yard rear feat pulling in between the front two...needless to say..no more digging. But I do catch her pulling the runners up on our St Augestine grass, and having a feeding fest...little devil!!
From what I have heard..the noise works for even those naughty pups that bark at strangers, ect that pass your house, or if you catch them..head first in the trash, or toilet ( I personally keep the lid down...yuck..). So I have kept my bottle..sitting on the kitchen table waiting for usage....at least it causes no pain..as I toss it NEAR her..but never AT her. I don't believe in striking my dog for ANY reason..
We also have a rolled Newspaper Tv guide..taped with packing tape into a tube..I have NEVER hit her..but have thumped it on the sofa when she trys to get up to take food..or smack it in my hand ( hurts ME!! ) We lovingly call it her "stick"..you would not believe how she just see's it, and backs off..even the barking ceases when I slap the stick in my hand..Don't have a clue why it works, because she is not being touched..but it does!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
busterbutt\";p=\"97757 said:
He is not super bad but he has a major attitute problem like barking at us when we tell him NO!!!!!!!  All of the sudden too!!!
That doesn't sound good to me.  Sounds like he is challenging your authority.  I personally think that should be handled right away, he has to know that when you say NO or anything, that you mean it.

Something had to happen to change his attitude to make him think he's an equal (if you want to run your house like that, then it's fine, I have nothing against people who let their dogs sleep with them or whatever)...but me, personally, I don't think he is an equal.  When I say something, my dog listens.  Now when we come home (my girlfriend and I), he doesn't run up and jump all over me first all happy like, but I can assure you that if I said "come here" when we got home that he'd come to me first.

--

Just a few things that I take pretty seriously...

When I'm eating, he's at least 10 feet away.  If he's not, he gets put there.

When I come home, I don't pet him and get all happy when he comes up to me.  I wait until I'm done with what I have to do, then I say hi to him.

I do not tell him "good boy" when I'M HAPPY.  I tell him that when he's actually a good boy.

I don't "reward" him with treats or anything like that.  I reward him with letting him know that I approve of what he did...like a nice pat on the back or overall approving body language.

--

So anyway, just things like that, he definitely lives a structured life, but he has to.  Otherwise, things can get out of hand.  I don't ever suggest hitting your dog, and I would never hit mine, but I do some stuff every now and then that if he didn't know the order in which he falls, he may have a problem with.  And that's the main thing that you want to avoid...if he's too close and you push him away, if he doesn't KNOW for 100% sure that you're the boss, he just may try to challenge you.  And a physical challenge from a powerful dog could be dangerous for most people.

--

But yeah, the barking at you when you tell him no should definitely be stopped in my opinion.  And there's no way to fix something like that without seriously laying down some structure in your dog's life.  Personally, I feel I owe it to my dog to be strict with him and let him know exactly where he falls.

--

And I know I said it once and I know that to some people who sleep with their dogs, etc, it may sound like I am a bad owner because I don't "spoil" my buddy, but I can assure you I love and care for him a great deal.  He lives a great life and my life is better because of him too.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Sounds like typical adolescent behavior.  I would double up on the obedience training and make him work!  He is a working dog and needs his mind challenged.  It won't be as easy as training was as a puppy because he now thinks he knows more than you.  I agree that exercise for him a essential but the training is even more crucial.  A tired dog is just a tired dog and hasn't learned anything therefore the training is so very important.  He needs to learn about living with his "family" and the things that are acceptable.  

IMO the scarey noise approach doesn't teach my dogs anything so I don't use it.  It just teaches them to be afraid of loud and scary noises and I don't want them to learn that.

Nano

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Typical teenager! :roll:  :lol:
Just make sure you don't let him get away with what you don't want him to do.  What gets to Henry the most is when I say "uh-uh" like I'm all disappointed in him.  He stops what he's doing, drops his head and tail and tries to make up for it by giving me "the eyes". :lol:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hey Nano
Sorry if that comes across as me trying to frighten my dog so she becomes fearfull of loud noises. I have used that bottle one time only, and thought it was a better method then trying to ignore the behavior. ( LOL..believe me..if DH had his way...the shock collar would have been purchased..but then again..I would have put it on him while sleeping and zapped him...how barbaric that idea is! )
Ashley is one of the least scared of noises dogs I have ever met....lawn mowers ( yes..she now is crated..I'm fearfull of a rock hitting her ) blowing my hair dry..a door slamming..nothing but that silly penny bottle has ever evoked a response from her.
I am very, very interested in your thoughts on how things like digging ( especially when she is across the enire back yard doing it ) could be handled in a gentle fashion. I would love your input on this, as she seems to only do destructive things like this when she is well out of reach, and I truely am at a loss for correction/training an pup that is not in close proximity to you. ( do I understand correctly that you must only do corrections if you actually catch the dog "in the act"? ) If so, It would be tough to fix, as trying to get near her would be a challenge.
Thanks in advance for your input..Its greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Great ideas! Thank you so much.
Ashley has her basic commands down pat INSIDE..but it amazes me how even her favorite command of "come" goes flying out the window when she is outside..lol... I know she's a pup still..but man, I bet you all can relate how that chaps your behind, when its cold and rainy, and your standing at the door using your sweetest voice practically BEGGING them to "come", and they sit in the grass looking at you like.."make me!!"....little goofs :lol:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You can also bury chicken wire just a bit under the dirt she's digging - the feel of it on their feet often is a deterrent.  I do agree with Heather about giving dogs a place to dig if they're really dedicated diggers, though - it's a natural dog behavior, so IMO it's in everyone's interest to provide an outlet for that behavior in an appropriate spot.  

As far as the OP, this is the start of adolescence and a time of testing boundaries.  Think rebellious teenager.  :)  While I'm not convinced that barking at a "No" is necessarily challenging authority (it may simply be that he thinks you're barking at him, so he's barking back), this is a good time to get back to basics and perhaps start a NILIF program (Nothing In Life Is Free) - more information on that is here: http://www.goof.com/~pmurphy/NILIF.html , you may not need to use all of the steps but the underlying philosophy is very helpful in reinforcing rules and guidelines.  (A good book along the same lines is "How to Be the Leader of the Pack and Have Your Dog Love You For It by Patricia McConnell.)

Shake cans and throw chains (the conventional use of the 'penny can' is to shake it loudly rather than throwing it near the dog; short chains are conventionally used for throwing) work in some circumstances but it's important to be sure the dog doesn't see that you're the one shaking/throwing it.  I've tried the shake cans but they've at  most been an interrupter for my dogs, rather than an aversive.  It all depends on the dog - some will ignore it, some will get the scare and stop the behavior, and some will develop noise or other phobias (some dogs might connect the noise to the location, rather than their action, for example - so a dog might develop a fear of going out in the yard at all, or in a particular room in the house, etc.).  I've had better luck with interrupting and redirecting, personally.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Come is the one command that it is best to practice only on leash, graduating to a long line with greater distance with success rate.  If you do this you will have a perfect come when you need it.  I'm talking emergency use.  Just don't chase the dog over bad behavior or for any other reason really. For the other times just use another word for them such as "To Me!"(my command for get your butt over here)  It isn't able to be proofed as there isn't always a lead on but eventually I get them to give up what they're doing and come in or over to me.  Then you need to praise like crazy as they just gave up something really fun and good for YOU.  We teach our classes how to connect with their dogs and do the "follow me" exercise.  You don't use a leash (if you don't have a fenced yard use a long line for safety) but you have to work very hard to keep your dog connected and interested in you.  It is very challenging for the owner and very interesting to watch the owners.  They do understand that stern tone of voice (the "Oh,Noooo!" comment) and if you give them the "LOOK" (the one your mother gave you when you came home late) they really get that too but that works  better when you are closer to them.  I have to sometimes take off my glasses if they have turned dark so they can see my eyes, but whoa do they get it.

You can give her a place to dig and that would still have to be trained that it is okay to dig there.  I have stopped mine digging in spots I don't care for by burying their feces in that area.  Puppies just really do like to dig and when it gets hot they like it even better as the cool soil below feels good to them.  I like to redirect behavior like Newcastle does.  Instead of the noisy cans I will snap a stick or squeeze a little squeeky toy I keep in my pockets that they never get to bring their attention over to me and praise like crazy for that connection.  This connecting is THE cutting edge training technique for today.

I am glad that Ashleys mom is not using the electric shock collar.  I can tell you horror stories about those and I personally use to use them and had a very bad experience that I unintentionally gave one of my dogs.  You go girl!  I can just picture it on your hubby's neck! If it works let me know and I will get one for mine!

Nano

·
Registered
913 Posts
Such great ideas..thank you all..
Nano..I really love the "to me" command idea..I will start working her gradually on that while leashed like you indicated, and I'm betting that she will be able to tell this command from "come", as it almost sounds stern..instead of my probably softer intoned "come" that I give her..
I love these suggestions, as I know I can't be over her head all day..and she is such a good baby for working on new things with me. I also, am going to get a small ( really irritating..lol ) squeeky toy to keep near the door to distract her.
Unfortunately the digging pit has been banned by DH  :x , So I will be just more vigilant with her for a while..and make GOOD use of the poo in the hole trick..bet she's not going to like THAT!!
I will let you know if I need the collar for DH....but I am doubting I could get away with it..now..maybe a cattle prod might work..Hmmmm  :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts