Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. so almost 3wks ago I decided to change Royce's food (PRO NATURE) because 1- they only sell it at one store in ottawa, and 2-Sometimes when I'd go they wouldn't have the one for large breed puppy's....
So I did my research and decided to make the switch over to ORIJEN Large Breed Puppy, I slowly integrated the new food over a 2wk period and he seemed to be liking it, although it has now been almost 3wks he's had diarhea on and off... I'm a little worried so I called the vet who sudgested to change foods again and to also give him some boiled rice w/ hamburger meat to make his poo more solid. Any sudgestion on food to use, or what else i could do to help my little guy. He just turned 6months over the weekend.

Thanks for any help or sudgestion you have to offer.

Soph & Royce

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Puppy Large
Analysis

ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE
Biologically Appropriate for Large Breed Puppies

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein (min.)  42.0%
Fat 16.0%  
Carbohydrate 18.0%  
Moisture 10.0%  
Fiber 2.0%  
Calcium (min.)  1.4%
Calcium (max.) 1.6%
Phosphorus (min.)  1.1%
Phosphorus (max.)  1.3%
Omega-6 2.5%  
Omega-3 1.0%  
Glucosamine 500 mg/kg  
Chondroitin 150 mg/kg  
Microorganisms 80M cfu/kg  
pH 5.0
Ash (min.)  6.5%
Botanical Analysis
Chicory root  600 mg/kg  
Licorice root  500 mg/kg
Fenugreek 350 mg/kg  
Marigold flowers  350 mg/kg  
Sweet fennel  350 mg/kg  
Peppermint leaf  250 mg/kg  
Chamomile flowers  250 mg/kg  
Dandelion 150 mg/kg  
Summer savory  150 mg/kg  
Rosehips 150 mg/kg  
Vitamins
Vitamin A  34 kIU/kg  
Vitamin D3  2.0 kIU/kg  
Vitamin E  400 IU/kg  
Vitamin K  2.5 IU/kg  
Vitamin B12  465 IU/kg  
Thiamine 65 mg/kg  
Riboflavin 56 mg/kg  
Niacin 250 mg/kg  
Pan. acid 44 mg/kg  
Pyridoxine 32 mg/kg  
Biotin 0.6 mg/kg  
Folic acid  3.4 mg/kg  
Choline 3600 mg/kg  
Ascorbic acid  70 mg/kg  
Beta carotene  0.65 mg/kg  
AMINO ACIDS

Taurine 0.22 mg/kg
T. Lysine  2.0%
T. Threonine  1.7%
T. Methionine  1.0%
T. Isoleucine  1.9%
T. Leucine  2.0%
T. Valine  2.0%
T. Arginine  3.2%
T. Phen.  1.7%
T. Histidine  1.2%
T. Cystine  0.6%
MINERALS

Sodium 0.25%
Chloride 0.5%
Potassium 0.6%
Magnesium 0.09%
Sulphur 0.4%
Iron 270 mg/kg  
Zinc 225 mg/kg  
Copper 25 mg/kg
Manganese 24 mg/kg  
Cobalt 0.6 mg/kg  
Iodine 4.0 mg/kg  
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg  

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS  

Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.

ORIJEN Puppy Large has a biologically correct (70/30/0) ingredient ratio of 70% meat, and 30% fruit and vegetables (with 0% grain) that are low temperature cooked at 90c to preserve their natural goodness.
Seven (7) sources of veterinary inspected meats and fats from Canada's prairie farms, cold northern lakes and clear pacific seas, provide a diverse and complete animo and fatty acid balance to optimally nourish growing puppies. With no grain and very little carbohydrate, ORIJEN is easily metabolised by puppies - just like Mother Nature intended.

Take a moment to read our ingredients and we think you'll agree - Biologically Appropriate ORIJEN is the ideal food to nourish your large breed puppy toward a long and healthy life.
Farm-Fresh Regional Meats
With 3 fresh, chemical free meats (human grade) from Alberta grain-fed chickens, fresh-caught Lake Whitefish and fresh whole eggs, ORIJEN foods contain the highest fresh meat inclusions of any dry pet food

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
42% of protein is a little high for me. I think that is more suitable for when you want to add weight to a dog. Puppies really shouldn't have too much protein in their diets. There have been studies done that indicate that too much protein in a diet can lead to rapid growth in puppies. Rapid growth can lead to skeletal and bone issues later in life. Boxers are very fast growing pups as it is so they do not need the extra protein and fat that puppy formulas tend to have in them. I would try feeding a diet that has somewhere between 22-28% protein and around 12-18% of fat.
This food you are feeding Royce may just be too rich for him and may be causing the diarreah. (I never know how to spell that word! It never looks right?) As long as any health issues have been ruled out, I would switch him over to a new food. When I first rescued Maddie she had issues with loose stools and diarreah. I tried three different foods with her and had great results with Canidae. As soon as I switched her over the loose stool has been non-existent. I would try the All-Stages with Royce and see how he does on it. Finding a food that works can be very frustrating, but hang in there. There is one out there with Royce's name on it. Good Luck, and keep us updated on how he is doing.  :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice i knew something seemed a bit odd with the % of Protein... As for switching his food, how should i go about doing so?
Should i start off by giving him boiled rice + b. chicken then gradualy start him on the new food or should i do the rice and chicken thing than do half his current food and half the new food?
It's so sad too see him this way... this morning i woke up to diarhea (not sure the correct spelling of the word either?)  all over the kitchen floor, then he came out of our room and drank an entire bowl of water in one shot and then pucked twice (only water).

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Generally you should introduce a new food gradually by mixing the two. In your case I would just start a new food. It sounds like the food he is eating right now is not sitting too well with him, so why even mix it with a new food? Has he had a fecal done just to rule out any parasites or other health issues? If he didn't have any loose stool issues with the previous food then it most probably is the new food. You might also want to try boiled chicken and rice for a few days until his tummy is better than introduce a new food.
It also sounds like he is getting a little dehydrated with all the water he is drinking. I would boil him some plain chicken and rice and see if he keeps that inside of him, if not I would go see the vet. Let us know how he does, and give him some gentle hugs from me and Maddie.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The way I change foods is to mix 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food the first week.  Then 1/2 old to 1/2 new food the second week.  Then 3/4 new food to 1/4 old food the third week.  Then, finally, 100% new food.

Its sounds to me, on top of the food being abnormally high in protein, that you switched the foods to fast.  This can cause diahrea because the body isn't getting enough of a chance to adjust to the new food.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I had to take Kiah off of Canidae and put her back on Solid Gold.  She was losing so much hair and was getting bald spots around her head.  I switched back the way that Liz suggested and she hasn't had any problems switching back over.  Is been a couple of weeks and her hair is already growing back.

I had heard so many good things about Canidae but I learned that each dog will react differently to different foods.  It may be trial and error before you find the right food.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I switchet foods gradually as well and put the boys on Canidae All Life Stages and they are doing wonderful. There stools use to go loose on and off before Canidae but ever since i put them on Canidae they have been solid. and this is the 3rd bag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. so last night i started Royce on the boiled rice and chicken... he scarfed it down, and this morning same thing although he hasn't pooped and he hasn't really been drinking any water... is he ok? do u think he might be constpated? i gave him about 1 1/2 cups of it for super yesterday and 1 1/2 cup this morning... is that too much ? too little? he still seems hungry.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Boiled chicken and rice has a lot of water in it - I wouldn't worry.  If you are still having loose stools after you have switched to the new food (I do it a lot quicker - generally within a week) completely for about a week; you might want to go to the vets office and have him tested for intestinal worms and Giardia.  They can also give you some pills that help with relieving loose stools.  

Our boxer has loose stools about 1-2 times a month now - but used to a lot when she was under a year.  Just a sensative stomache.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
For sure dont let the loose stool go to long.  They can get dehydrated before you know it.  It may also be something other then a food/stomach issue.  I cant remember how old Royce is. Like ssimmons99 said there are many intestinal worms and bacteria that can cause loose stool.

Also, you can take Royce's temp and make sure.  Take a rectal temp (and of course label that one for the dog  :D for later use) Normal is 100 to 102.  If it is over 103 I would go ahead and see a vet. To rule out worms. giardia, coccidia and of course the major ones of parvo and distemper.

Good luck and let us know!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just got back from the vet... they gave me some canned food ( i.d.) that is supose to help clear up the diarhea. I'm supose to keep him on it 1-2 days and if their are no signs of improvement then they want me to bring him in.
Royce just turned 6months last weekend.
He had lots of energy this morning on his walk though....
also while I was gone to the vet to pick up the canned stuff, i guess he was really hungry cause somehow he managed to get the loaf of bread of the counter and gobble it down before i got home.
Thank god their was only about a quarter loaf....

·
Registered
162 Posts
The canned ID stuff is boiled rice and chicken that's canned.  Vet told me I could just make it at home cheaper for future reference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feed Rocky boiled chicken with rice..sometimes boiled hamburger (removes fats/oils) with rice also with some type of vegetable or a little bit of his dry food. This usually seems to harden up his stoole.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the I/D seems to have done the trick Royce's poo is back to solid and  we have bought and are going to try him on Performatrin Natural... the women at Pet Value says that it is an all stages food but that's not indicated on the bag??? So should this food be Ok. or should
I have him on the Performatrin Puppy food. Royce is 6months old....
One more Q. Seeing as both foods are Performatrin it shouldn't be a problem wsitchen him to the puppy kind right?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've never heard of that food, but I checked out the ingredients on their website and it looks pretty good. The only difference in the dog and puppy formula is the % of fat and protein which is 4% higher in the puppy formula. I would just start feeding the adult formula since the difference is so minimal and see how Royce does on that.
I'm glad he is feeling better.  :) Keep us updated on him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts