Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Last weekend my brother came to visit and before he arrived I noticed Charlie was acting a bit off, but I kinda brushed it off to just one of those days, on Saturday I began to really notice something wasn't quite right, but decided to give it a day or two to see if anything changed. By Sunday was not pooping or had eaten since Friday night and was beginning to drool and just moping, So Monday morning I decided to go to the vet just to be sure all was well.. they did some x-rays that didn't really reveal a whole lot but when the vet pushed on Charlie stomach he yelped, the vet said he could feel some type of hard knot and wanted to keep him for the day..They wanted to give him an enema and see if that would help. So I left him not to terribly worried but concerned. I called around 4 and they said he still had not used the bathroom and they wanted to give him another enema and wanted to keep him overnight. so the next morning still nothing. I had made plans when I got off work to go by and visit with him and before I could get there, the vet called with some not so great news. They had done an ultra sound and saw something in his belly and his intestines had folded down into his colon, they said this was NOT good news and the outcome did not look good. I could barley drive due to the tears just pouring down my face, but I called my hubbie and he met me at the vets office, the vet sat us down and explained the intestines folding into the colon thing and said they may see one a year and the outcome is usually the dog doesn't make it through the whole ordeal and..that depending on much of the intestine had folded down in there depended on the outcome. That this mainly happens in humans and that it was different with a dog, that in a human they would attach a bag and that's where the human would use the bathroom (in the bag) and that he may have chronic diarrhea and his quality of life would not be the best IF he made it. So we had to make a decision and in our hearts it was an easy decision go ahead with the surgery. *** a side note we were slap dab in the middle of buying a house, I mean we finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel and it was fixing to be done, but then my husband was laid off from his job the Friday before all this happened, so Money is SO tight right now and although I had the worry of how in the heck we were going to pay for this crossed my mind for a split second, it never for once was an option not to at least try and save him. So that evening we made the decision to go for it.. We loved on him and kissed on him and all that Jazz, fully prepared for the vet to call us with the worse news that too much of the intestines had folded and I was just a basket case.. So we waited and waited, and then they called and said the surgery had went much better than anticipated with some surprising news. Only a small portion of his intestines had folded into his colon and they were able to cut off the bad apart and reattach them and it should be No problems for Charlie, However when they were in the surgery they found what was spotted in the ultra sound and it was a stick.. There were four vets in the surgery to repair his intestines and the hole in his stomach made by the stick.. the intestines partially blocked the stick so they could not hardly see it.. So Charlie pulled though and is now home, he was there for 5 days and is home resting and on the mend. So we decided with everything that was happening it was probably not wise for us to finish the last steps of getting the house, with the loss of a job and Charlie's surgery it was just something saying, this may not be a good idea.. like everything was stacking against us, and I am a believer if it's that difficult maybe it wasn't meant to be..but one thing was at that is Charlie Harper, he is a trooper and SO SO Glad he is on his way to a happy, healthy recovery but on a VERY SHORT LEASH!!

on a side note, I am on the BF Facebook page and as this was going on one of our members asked me to set up a go fund me page because she wanted to help contribute to Charlie's vet bill, so after thinking about it, I had another want to help out too, so I decided I would. a few of our members who for no reason at all have donated and I just want to say from the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU, those donations are truly appreciated, luckily along with the donations my vet is allowing us to make small monthly payments till we get it paid off.. If you ever wonder just what kind of people are on the boxerforum, it's people like that, Good people who Truly care for each other. I got some many calls, and text and prayers and well wishes from some of our members and we have never ever met each other in person, but I truly am grateful and appreciate this forum and it's members whom without, I would lose my mind, So thank you!! ... So here are some pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
So glad Charlie is getting better! This scares me and reinforces what I have been doing, Ruby is constantly trying to chew on sticks I need to make sure she doesn't.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
what a relief for you and Charlie; imagine that stick inside; just swallowed the thing whole!!! Wowzers he is one lucky pup!!! I wish Charlie a speedy recovery. And about the house buying thing; yes you are right sometimes things happen for a reason (hubby being laid off). Maybe you weren't meant to buy that particular house. I hope the hubby gets employment soon so you start house hunting again.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wow. He swallowed that thing whole? I am just in shock. May his recovery be quick and uneventful.

I bought my house last year. It took 9 months for me to find the right one. There were so many houses that I lost on, but the house I am in now is perfect. My co-worker told me that everything happens for a reason and it is so true. I lost the bids on all those other houses so that I can be in my perfect house.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I' still new here but want to send good wishes for Charlie, so glad he is recovering. He is a beautiful boy. Also good wishes that your husband soon find new employment. Sometimes when one door closes another better one opens. Best wishes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My goodness! I welled up reading this and am so happy Charlie is ok. It's touching to read of people's generosity. Georgie loves to carry sticks and I guess this is a good heads up that I better make her drop that habit fast. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please say a prayer for Charlie, he has an appointment sat to have his staples removed but in the last 24 hours he seems to have take a turn and something is not quite right. ..so I will be taking him in the morning

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, we changed his apt to this morning at 930 and after running some test, they are keeping him over the weekend..he had a temp of 104, his CBC shows slight anemia his red blood cells were a little low and the whites were fine. They have him on an IV fluids and are gonna put him on some different antibiotics and a barium x ray, the regular x-ray ultra sound showed nothing excited, no fluid or anything..Bare with me here: he said he is checking for Peritonitis AND OR a Stricture at the surgical sight..and he explained it to me but I am at work so I couldn't fully grasp it, so I am now goggling it all

1 - 20 of 23 Posts