Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted once before about bringing a Pom puppy into a house with my boxer. That actually turned out great, they're best friends now. I never thought two dogs so different would get along so great.

My male boxer Kain is almost 7 monthes old now. Around the house he well behaved. He'll come to me if i call him, he'll sit, lay down, shake ect. on command. That was all real easy to teach, he's extremely intelligent. Something else to note is that he's always been a picky eater and unlike most dogs isnt really all that  motivated by food. If you give him a treat he'll eat it but doesnt really get to excited or care all that much. He pulls pretty bad on the leash if he see's something he wants to go toward but mostly i take him to a secluded park in the area every day and let him loose so he can run and get excersize. He stays within site of me and if i feel he's starting to wander i can give a shout and he'll come running.

That all goes out the door if there is any sort of distraction at all. If a car or person was to come into the picture he's gone and no matter what i yell or any command i give he acts like he cant hear me. He'll chase a car or person and wont listen to me period. Like i said, treats and praise doesnt really motivate him to come back i just have to try to chase him down. Obviously this is dangerous for the dog and frustrating for me. This is really my only problem with him, if i could just get him to stop on command when he starts to bolt he'd be perfect. I know i might get some sneers for even mentioning it but im considering using an electronic collar for this one and only purpose. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Im willing to try everything before the collar but this is the one thing i cant break him of. Thanks

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a trainer:

Keep him on lead until you can trust him at least 98% of the time...if you really want him to be "off lead" them keep him on a longline that you can step on if he makes a run for it.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
186 Posts
i wouldnt let him off either. espically if he chases cars, thats asking for something bad to happen. i dont trust my boxer off her leash. as for him pulling while on the leash, everytime he does it jerk back on the lead until he is walking beside you, do this over and over again and he should get the idea, it worked for harley anyways.  and when i say jerk i dont mean like yank him thru the air lol..just a stern tug on it to get him to stop.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It helps when your walking your dog to have then beside you or behind you a bit. This enforces that you are in charge. Like summer said, give him a tug to get his attention. It would help to teach heel.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Some dogs don't respond to clicker training well, either.  As much as Lilly likes her treats, she is more motivated by play during training.

As for clicker training,  You need to start training in a quiet distraction free (or as close to that as you can get) environment and as the behaviors your are training get better, you can progress to different areas and distraction levels, but even this isn't perfect.

I have a rescue Shar-Pei mix (F) that trains great in her kennel around all the other crazy excited dogs, but when you take her out for a quiet one-on-one training session she's a total spaz.

All training and each dog, needs to be looked at from a case by case angle and training needs to be modified for EACH dog, the dogs capabilities, likes and disllikes, and they way they learn best.

Find what motivates your dog and train them using that method and their favorite motivation.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
948 Posts
My two are reliable off leash... From the moment they come home, all play is engaged off leash and leashes are only meant for walks, public outings, and any training of any kind (unless they give me a reason to leash them otherwise). Plus, my two are velcro dogs so that plays a huge part .. lol.. Mia is VERY food motivated whether she just ate or not.. I've always heard to use hot dogs (uncooked) as a training treat. I just use 'Train Me' treats or this fishy smelling treat (she loves stuff that has a strong smell  8O )..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a Professional Trainer:

This is not an attempt to start a debate...this is professional advice...it is not my intent to offend anyone...

Refusing to allow your dog to eat just so that they will train the way YOU want them to isn't healthy for your dog.  Yopu should train your dog the way THEY train best and the way that works for them.  If your dog isn't treat motivated (even if they have eaten) then you should find another form of motivation.  Play and praise work great!!!

You will do what you like and how you like it.  This is my professional opinion and advice.  Take it or leave it as you see fit, but please don't try to start a war!!!

Training treats, meat, hot dogs, homemade treats...whatever you like can work...so long as the bits are small, easy to chew, and keep your pup interested!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
162 Posts
[quote="sharonL\";p=\"17839":yrjkmgo3]

Let me ask you a question about clicker training since I have never actually spoke to someone who has used it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
162 Posts
[quote="lillyzmomma\";p=\"17942":3tdmldl9]

Refusing to allow your dog to eat just so that they will train the way YOU want them to isn't healthy for your dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts