Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching "it's me or the dog" on animal planet and they took this husky into the vet to be neutered and the vet decided on a "chemical alternative to neutering" which looked like a shot.  They said it should help control hormones and has no recovery time.  Anyone else ever hear of this before?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
no but someone told me they do vasectomy on dogs and dont remove the testicles during a neuter. i told him i didnt think so because the vet keeps telling me it prevents testicular cancer because he doesnt have them..sooo duh i guess they take them. sorry off topic but i was trying to say that ive heard lots of weird things around neutering but not that. would that shot prevent the dog from getting another dog pregnant or just calm him down like a neuter would?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I saw that too ( right after the Boxer one ..I still feel sorry for their boxer btw..kinda no space for their big boy! )
I was wondering if it was like the drug they give habitual sex offenders, that basically makes them not "interested" any longer. What ever they gave that crazy Husky..didn't really have much effect, because the poor lady that was there for training was getting humped by that dog left and right.
AFTER the neuter..seemed like those folks were pleased with the behaviour training. Poor pup was taken at 5 weeks of age from his littermates..no wonder he was confused!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't seen the boxer one yet...it's on in 30 minutes again, so I'll watch it then.  Nothing else on!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="myboxerbabyz\";p=\"101068":1wtuc1hu]I am watching "it's me or the dog" on animal planet and they took this husky into the vet to be neutered and the vet decided on a "chemical alternative to neutering" which looked like a shot.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, that sounds horrible!  I think I'd rather just get a dog fixed!  Do you have to repeat treatments or is it a one time fixes all kinda thing?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Donya\";p=\"101083 said:
no but someone told me they do vasectomy on dogs and dont remove the testicles during a neuter. i told him i didnt think so because the vet keeps telling me it prevents testicular cancer because he doesnt have them..sooo duh i guess they take them. sorry off topic but i was trying to say that ive heard lots of weird things around neutering but not that. would that shot prevent the dog from getting another dog pregnant or just calm him down like a neuter would?
The injection (Chemical Neuter) will keep them from being able to get a dog pregnant.  And yes vasectomys have been preformed on dogs for a while also....With both of them....they dont provide the benefits of a full castration, which a goal is to help protect against testicular tumors, which are common in older, intact males. It also doesn't protect against testosterone-diseases, such as perianal hernia and perianal adenomas.

On the vasectomy and because testosterone is still there..they generally will still act like a dog who has not been neutered. They will still try to go through all the motions of mating with females., for example. They would probably still defend territory and breeding rights, and would mark territory (inside and outside) with urine. They would also be more prone to the urge to roam to find mating partners.

If someone's main concern of not having a dog altered is to have the testicle sack still there and to look intact after surgery, you can have him castrated and have implants placed in the scrotum........There are implants available.......:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts