Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased soft digestible rawhide chews from my vet and smart sticks when Emmett was teething at about three months. All was well for about a month and then he swallowed a smart stick whole. As luck would have it - I had just stocked up. He loves the flavor. But since they made him really sick and it can't be good to swallow it whole. I wondered if now that he is older - 7 months do dogs have a gag reflex. I would love to let him chew on the chew sticks again.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
No, rawhide is just not a good choice. A Kong filled with kibble and or Peanut that does not have artificial sugar (xylenol) I think is a much butter choice. And pig ears are a great treat but not frequently and I use Pruning Shears to cut them down into smaller strips or pieces.

I started doing that after my stupid Bandog tried to swollen one whole!!! I just happen to be on site on saw him gagging!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
My dog Fritz,is almost 6 ,he does the same thing about swallowing them whole.I have never gave him rawhides.But other chew sticks ,even dental sticks, he now gets them cut up.so I know he is not going to outgrow it.:clap:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I purchased soft digestible rawhide chews from my vet and smart sticks when Emmett was teething at about three months. All was well for about a month and then he swallowed a smart stick whole. As luck would have it - I had just stocked up. He loves the flavor. But since they made him really sick and it can't be good to swallow it whole. I wondered if now that he is older - 7 months do dogs have a gag reflex. I would love to let him chew on the chew sticks again.
I only give my guy Best Bully Sticks. He doesn't have any issue digesting them, although I have see other people mention their dogs doesn't tolerate them all that well.

He does try to swallow the last 3-4 inches whole and I have had the unfortunate experience of him throwing it up in bed in the middle of the night.

Now I just take the last 3-4 inches and cut it up into small bite size pieces. Pretty disgusting after its been in his mouth but no way I am throwing out a 1/4 of a bully stick for how much they charge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I have been cutting up the smart sticks. They are made out of food paste. I haven't tried bully sticks for fear he would swallow it while and puke it up

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
We give Kai, himalayan chews. When they get to a size that he could swallow whole we microwave them so they puff up and that he can't swallow whole. You have to wait though cause they hold the microwave heat so don't give till cooled throughly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts