Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good chew toy for my littles guy i bought mini dingos it seems to keep him occupied but i watch him in fear if choking, and is it wrong for me to put him in his cage after he bite me or my son?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, the crate shouldn't be used as punishment.  Time out or redirection is a much better response to biting.  Kongs are of course good.  Cooper also likes his nylabones.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
For the biting, say firmly "no bite!", without yelling.  Then ignore mr. puppy for a bit.  They hate to be ignored.  Also, you could say "no bite" then put something else in his mouth.  That worked for us.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Don't use the crate as punishment!! You'll be heading down a very bad path.

Go to the pet store and buy some big rubber toys that have no pieces or anything that can fall off and be a choking hazard.  Every puppy needs some things to chew/bite, otherwise they'll go after you and your stuff instead.  All toys should be supervised, especially with a puppy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When my dog used to bite... I would rear back and "yelp" while saying ouch, and then I wouldn't pay attention to him.

He no longer bites-at all.

I like kongs, but if you're looking for a good chew- my dog loves busy bone dental chews (just be careful, they have biproducts in them- and some boxers are allergic to bi-products).

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think Cooper was raised with thinking play biting was OK because I'm having to slowly teach him not to bite when we're playing rough.  He's slowly getting it.  He still bites sometimes, never hard, though.  I know it's tough when a puppy is allowed to play-bite growing up then all of a sudden they get "punished" for it.  So best to nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Rather than crating when he does that, put him in a "time out" by leashing him and wrapping the leash around a door handle, let him be for about 5 minutes, if he is calm after that release him....Definitely a good "no" works wonders, walk away, turn your back, generally just ignore him, Boxers hate that..

As far as the toys, I like Cuz, Ruffians & Kong toys, they are pretty durable, plus a couple Nylabones are great for redirecting that biting  :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts