Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 yr old male has trouble chewing up any solid food...he starts foaming in mouth and walks all over the house dripping food?????

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
A Vet check is a good idea but I am thinking this could be a stomach issue too maybe this food is upsetting his stomach? He could be a nervous eater too so making sure he is in a quiet place for his meal times would help. Sometimes they just walk and drop food. I would make sure he has no bad or fractured teeth though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check the mouth. It is very common for boxer's gums to start growing over their teeth. If it is bad enough they can be chomping on their gums and it's painful. It's called Gingival Hyperplasia. Oral surgery is usually what they do to help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is it OK to swallow food without chewing?
I think it's fine as long as they aren't eating too fast and swallowing a lot of air with it. One of my boxers has hardly any teeth and we mix his kibble with water and soft food. I imagine he swallows most of it whole, he's been this way for the last 3 years or so.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Many dogs just swallow their food even without chewing. My boxer didn't chew, my poodle sometimes does. You could use a slow feeder bowl to help them eat slower. I see that Amazon now carries the stainless steel slow feeder bowl which is my preference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts