Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

my 9 month old pup destroyed his first thing ever (besides an occasional toy) last month and has kind of been on a roll...

The bed was in his crate, he was left alone for about 6.5 hours and when I got back it was a mess. My fiance was convinced it was just a fluke and wanted to give him it another try, well... 2 days later he did it again.

So this weekend (about a month later) we found a cheap pet bed and though, mind as well... and it lasted less than an hour, he dragged it out of his crate and ripped a hole in it almost immediately, I patched up the hole and that night he pulled all the stuffing out and destroyed it.

He has another bed in the house that he has never done anything to and it seemed only when its in his crate he gets bored and shreds it but just today I found him downstairs chewing a hole in my area rug!

He has had free range now for months and I've never had an issue, I work from home so he is always out wandering around, only in his crate if I go out or it's bed time..

New rules: no free range and no beds in the crate

my question is, will he grow out of this or how do I correct it?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
LOL, Kai ate his crate beds too. So he had to sleep on the plastic tray a few nights. Then we bought a kong crate bed and he left it alone for over a year. Not sure why but a few months back he chewed it up. I'm thinking he wasn't getting the attention he is use too as my daughter has been very busy between nursing school and work, and I've had trouble with my arthritic knees. (better now). We just bought him a primo crate bed, which has ties. He has it for about 3 weeks now and all is good. So far any way. He hasn't chewed anything else int he house though and he is usually asleep on a older couch in our spare room. Also he turned 2 last Sept., so hopefully that is all behind us. Though I'm sure given the chance with a fluffy soft bed in his crate he would love to pull it apart. Your guy is probably going thru his 2nd teething cycle which if I remember happens somewhere around 8-10 months when his teeth set into his jaw. At least thats what I was told.

·
Registered
18 Posts
TIG has done this once. Same scenario, he was about 7 months and had to be in the crate a little longer than he was used to. We just removed the liner when he would be home alone in his crate and made sure he had something safe to chew. He's about 13 months now and seems to do fine if you leave it in, but we did the same as Lindar and replaced with the Kong crate liner, so who knows, it may just be more trouble than it's worth to him. He's a spaz but he loses interest fast if it's cutting into nap time.....LOL, I think he picked that up from the cat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad you're feeling better :)

Second chewing stage huh? I just looked it up, you're right! That explains a lot. I just read an article that said by 18 months they should be good... I will go and get him a couple new toys he can chew up.

Even though I'm pretty upset he ate my rug, it's nice to know it's a natural stage dogs can go through and not a behavioral issue.

Thank you!!

Source: Oscar the Pooch: A Miniature Schnauzer Blog: The Dreaded Second Chewing Phase

1 - 4 of 4 Posts