Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog has started chewing the molding around our sliding glass door. Bitter apple does nothing to deter him. I don't know what do. He already chewed a corner molding from another wall. Is this something biological or a behavior issue? He's going to literally eat me out of house and me.

Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
512 Posts
When you catch him issue a stern "NO" and hand him something more appropriate like a kong toy stuffed with peanut butter or give him a Nyla bone or some other chew toy. How old is your dog? If a puppy this should settle down with age and when teething time passes. Maybe more exercise as well if he is tired he will less likely be bored into chewing. Good luck sometimes bad habits are very hard to break. I know about the molding chewing my 10month old male I it to my front door but it was because I left him home alone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He just turned 6 months. It's just something he started. He has a million chew toys but opts for the weird stuff. I'll try to give him a toy when/if I catch him again.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
At 6 months he still needs supervision as he will still chew. up to 10 months I understand their teeth are setting into their jaws s o they are still teething though not that razor type stuff. Also a bored dog will. I'd say for now try and keep him away from corner moldings etc before it becomes habit. Continue to spray the bitter apple as it doesn't last very long, though I've never found it very useful but many do.

·
Registered
634 Posts
He just turned 6 months. It's just something he started. He has a million chew toys but opts for the weird stuff. I'll try to give him a toy when/if I catch him again.
We have a few places around our house that we need to fix the wood. Between the three of our boys- when they were puppies- there's a bit of damage. Our boys had lots of toys and other things...there's something about the wood that they like. We had to keep a close eye on them and keep them contained when we were out. They outgrew it, aside from their learning it was not OK. The bitter sprays didn't work for us.

I've heard some people use spray bottles and squirt the dog with water when they do it....on Lucky Dog (TV show) they've used a noisy container and a "No" (like a can with dry beans or the like). There are probably manufactured shakers, but you could easily make one in a plastic bottle w/ dry beans or marbles...

As for the age, our older boys stopped when they were closer to a year old. Our youngest boxer still found places to chew until he was around 1.5 years old. It was very sporadic, so it's hard to catch them all the time, especially when you think they are over that stage...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a gate up to keep him from that back room but his food is in that room too. So I always try to keep an ear up to listen for the rumbling of the food dish. If I don't hear that I go and check on him. I have to get a spray bottle going.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the bitter apple sprays, it really doesn't fix the behavior, if he doesn't like the taste he will just find something else to chew.

Will he try chewing the molding in front of you? If not, then I wouldn't leave him unsupervised.

If he does chew the molding in front of you, I would leash him up and any time he started going for the molding give him a correction and at the same time say "no!". Just stand there doing that until he won't even look at the molding. It will take time and repetition, but my rule with any of my dogs in the house was, nothing is yours unless I say so.

I'm also a fan of "sit on the dog" for good house manners. There is a thread on here about it and exactly how to apply it. Really easy to do if you are watching tv, or just relaxing

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
The "Catching him" doing it, is gonna be the "tricky part??" But of course (from Cat World, I got a plan. :)

The simplest and most straightforward solution, is off course to "Crate Your Dog" or you know "Crate" Train your puppy. Cuz you know, you can't control your dog or puppy ... "if you don't know where they are???"

A free roaming, Puppy or Dog, can be the "Source" of a lot of "Issues???" Most serious "Pro's" don't have "issues," like this one of the "Pro's" I follow and tend to recommend is "Larry Krhon" this guy.:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCortXxJdZYbHCrOa3nddr6g

And with "puppies??" He keeps them using a Crate, for two years??? Before he deems his "dog's reliable "free roaming indoors!!" Now that is admittedly, seriously "Hard Core!"
But if you have a "Zero Threshold" for any damage at all done by a "puppy or dog," in the home when you aren't there??? Well you know ... that will "Guarantee It." IE no free roaming in the home and "Crate Time if the dog/puppy will be out of site or an Ex-pen, for brief periods of time also.

If you have a "Zero Tolerance" for crap behavior indoor's?? Well a "Crate Trained," Puppy or Dog, is how "One can Guarantee," no damage to the home period, end of story! :)

On GSD Forum, most of the "newbies" having serious issues ( if the dog's, settled for chewing up molding,) those owners would be thrilled. :)

A lot of the intangibles that come from "Crate Training" would be of great benefit to those "struggling with "issues."

But hey this is "Boxerforum" and as a general "Crating" our dog's is not really how we tend to roll?? By and large our dog's and puppy's tend to break all the rules for establishing "Good Discipline??' Our dog's, puppies do tend to "free roam in the home. they do sleep in our bed's and they do get up on the furniture! And yep most of them are given that "Privilege" by 6 month's if gotten as puppy's???

Well I don't know the full answer?? As to why many have no issues leaving there puppies at 6 month's old, "Home Alone" and have no or minimal issues?? But at least a part of it "has to because" they can't get into, trouble because they are always, well under foot as it were?? They can't really destroy stuff because we tend to know where they are. SO yeah you can tell them "NO," if required and no extra effort required.:)

You could live in a 10,000 sq ft Mansion and for most "Puppies," it would not matter cuz barring intervention ... they will be where you are???

And by hanging close ... they just tend to "learn" what is acceptable indoor behavior?? So you know ... if that is the case?? Not much effort required to have a well behaved "Free Roaming Pup??" Cuz uh indoors, they don't tend to free roam anywhere???

Now that is just a "theory on part??' As my "puppy's," I have never Crate Trained. And my new Boxer/APBT mix that was one year old when I got her. Was "Crate Trained."

She would spend anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day in her Crate without issue. :)

I think she spent maybe a week in her Crate at nigh and that was only because I also had four cat's! And uh she did not live with cat's so yeah ... But, that "issue" was solved in short order. And for the first week?? She slept in her Crate in the living Room. Cuz of the Cat's but that issued solved. I moved her Crate to the Bed room with me.

And while "Bella" had no issue with that arrangement?? Sleeping in her crate in the bed room with me. It was too much for me! So she spent exactly one night in the bed room in her crate with me. And while was good with it. I could not handle it!

So night number two and up on the bed she goes! So yeah ... the "Crate" thing was a bit to much for me ... my bad. :)

Still there is more than one way to solve this "issue." And as general rule, I tend to favor an "indirect approach??" Instead of fighting a behavior I don't want?? I train a behavior I do want. :)

The "Place Command" and Sit on the Dog." Those are thing's that should be done and "trained with every dog/puppy," issues or not! Once you train the "Place Command," you won't need a "Crate" to stop this particular behavior ... anyway, but yeah that takes time.

But the "detail's can be found here. :
https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Now that is all well and good in the long run ... but not much use at the moment?? So"plan B" as it were you can try one of these.:

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Deterrent-Activated-Repellent-Environmentally/dp/B0721735K9

Now I have no idea if it would work or not?? But in "theory??" It should and if it doesn't ... just send it back. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We do crate him but when I know I'm gonna work a long time we send him to day care for the day. It's hard to watch him 24/7. He just started chewing the molding. Maybe it was just a week thing because he hasn't done it again yet. Every time i think he's back there doing it and I go back to check on him, he's just chewing on his deer antler.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think its great you take him somewhere you have to work a long day. Its really hard on puppies being alone a lot. My last two boxers have had a serious wood fetish I have a few pieces of furniture that show teeth marks. My girl is the older one and she is almost 2 she does not chew on things anymore. My boy who is almost 1 will still do it. I left him alone one day for the first time as I had to take my girl to the Vet I was only gone like 1/2 hr and he chewed the door frame on the front door. He only did this because he was alone he has never done it when she is home with him. I hope he will outgrow this stuff soon, he has been kinda slow to mature. Neither one of my dogs would tolerate a crate.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes I have seen those wood based dog chews I never got one because I was suspicious of what they were really made of. These two dogs I have now are frustrating beyond words with eating crap when we are in the yard or on walks I have to keep watch on them constantly when they are outside!! I take them on long walks at a local farm let them run loose to get their exercise and its a constant fight with eating stuff! They are fond of corn shucks and love to play keep away with them but then it goes to eating them and I have to keep them moving so they don't have time to lay there and eat them because it leads to puking later! I can't put mulch in my yard either same reason and if they don't get the corn shucks its anything else that woody in nature. They don't touch the corn cobs which I know are dangerous but anything else is game. I wonder if they are part termite? I have never had dogs do this this bad ever I think one taught the other and now that's the way we roll! The Vet suggested muzzling them when walking and I don't want to do that at all people already are scared of them for no reason they love people but they are garbage guts!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
[email protected] yes i am suspicious of the wood chews too, how to the differentiate of what wood is ok to chew and what is not. Mine are pretty good as pups I didn't allow them to grab things off the ground when walking, just always took away. Kai the boxer is very good the poodle will still grab at a bush or weeds in the grass. I think because he sees me pluck weeds out he tries to help so we can get back to play. lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
They are getting better as they get older but I tell you this has been so frustrating!!! This is mostly a problem when they are off leash and if they are being too bad I just put them on a leash to finish the walk. I swear though I have never had dogs this bad about that. I worry all the time they are going to ingest some toxic plant or mushroom so I have to keep a close watch.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Your puppy is entering the dreaded teenage stage. During this stage (6-18months) they test their boundaries and your patience, lol. Part of it is absolute boredom and the other part is typical acting out teen

All I can recommend is strict boundaries, and crating whenever you can’t keep an eye on him. Some people choose the tether to them approach as well. Make sure he is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation.

You can purchase snuggle mats and hide treats in them. Toys that make them use their minds to figure out how to access the rewards. Some people use muffin trays with hidden treats and toys in them or pop bottles on a dowel that they need to figure how to flip upside down to get a few pieces of kibble.

My point is , a tired puppy is a well behaved puppy

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have a friend who's boxer was playing with one of those pop bottle toys (plastic bottle inside) and she cut her gum so badly she lost her canine so I will not let my dogs play with anything like that! I do exercise my dogs a lot and my young male still gets in trouble I know this too will pass.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I have a friend who's boxer was playing with one of those pop bottle toys (plastic bottle inside) and she cut her gum so badly she lost her canine so I will not let my dogs play with anything like that! I do exercise my dogs a lot and my young male still gets in trouble I know this too will pass.
Like with most dog toys, close supervision is always recommended. I know dogs who have choked on balls, gotten their jaws stuck in Kongs etc.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have found myself examing a lot of toys before I bring them home usually their strong jaws will crush the squeaker in just about anything that's usually the end of that! I don't give bones but I do give Nyla bones and Benebones they enjoy laying around chewing on those I do not use rawhide or pig ears two of my dogs got those kind of chews wet enough to try to swallow them whole and I ended up digging them out of their mouths before they choked! I did find an edible chew its called a No hide its made out of rice flour with flavoring added they really love those but they are expensive and my dogs will eat those in about an hour. They really love anything that's loud too like a ball that makes noise anything loud is the favorite.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts