Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that leave there babies in crates for a few hours while at work, what type of chews do you use? Kong w/treats inside, or some type of edible chew? If the edible type, do you give this to them everyday? I'm just kinda sketchy with all those chews due to chemicals. Any natural chew? I don't really want to give my chat a Knuckle bone inside his crate. Or maybe it's best? By the way, he is on pure raw.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The only thing I will give Maddie in her crate is a kong stuffed with some treats, then I put some peanut butter on the top and freeze it. It keeps her occupied for hours. I wouldn't give any bones in the crate because if I'm not there to supervise, she's not getting any bones.
As far as bones go, if it's not a raw bone, she gets a bully stick (or sometimes called a pizzle). A bully stick is an all natural chew that is fully digestible. Well, okay I'll probably gross people out here, but it's 100% dried bull penis.  8O  Gross.....I know, but it satifies their need to chew and they are all natural. I also haven't heard of a dog that didn't love 'em!  :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
I second the Kong and the bully stick.   Both of mine love it and it keeps them busy.  I only give them bully sticks if I can supervise them though.  Gunner has a tendancy to not chew too well.  He gets in too big of a hurry.  I stuff my Kongs with a mixture of kibble, banana bits, cheese bits, treats (whatever I have on hand) and I too top it off with PB. Sometime I make a mixture with PB and yogurt with some kibble mixed in.  I freeze them and that occupies them for quite some time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Can you leave them a frozen bp stick w/out supervising them? Is this safe? I would like to leave it when I'm headed to school in the morning. Thanx.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would stick with a kong to leave in his crate when you're gone. The problem with leaving them with things such as bones and bully sticks is that some dogs (and my girl is notorius for this) will try to swallow the treat when it gets small enough....if you're not there to supervise, and by chance your puppy swallows a rather large piece it can either get stuck, or cause a blockage, requiring a trip to the emergency vet.

Stuff a kong and freeze it (it'll last longer). Here's a link to some recipies:

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/kongrecipe.php

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ive never really given Roxy chews unattended in her crate so Im of no help lol Bully Sticks are good though from what i heard but Oh my Lord do they ever stink 8O  lol

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would definitely stick with just the Kong...Like everyone else, I'd save Bully Sticks for when you are there to supervise. Samson does fine as far as not gulping large pieces, so did my other 2, but the last thing you want to happen is leave your baby in the crate with a chew or something like that & come home to a disaster...Esp as he's still young... Kongs are good for them anyways, it stimulates them  :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
we just have the ropes, and some nylabones for her to chew on...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at the nylabones, but I read somewhere that they have hazardous ingredients? I will try the kong with the frozen peanut butter in the middle. Thanx a lot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts