Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the grocery store and saw some fresh chicken hearts and gizzards really inexpensive..i thought it might be nice to give them to maverick so i picked them up...no im wondering how..do i just wash them and put them in his bowl ? How much should i give him? Just thinking that maybe raw a couple days a week would really help him out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If you are going to use them in the raw form, I would spread them out over a 12 hour period from your kibble unless the kibble is grainless.  

To feed them as a PM meal I would (again IMO) grind up some veggies and fruits.   I would use some parsley, green beans, apples, and a little oats to hold it together.  Make like raw hamburgers.   You can also add in a raw egg too (shells included).  The reason why I suggest adding in the extras is to balance it out.   Fresh Parley for breath!    I grind up a raw egg and the shell (esp if you are not feeding bone) - add that in too.  

Then make some freeze the rest and then thaw them out as your use them occasionally.   Once you start doing it - it can get fun by adding in stuff like broccoli, kale, lima beans, apples, blueberries, etc.  I will tend to look in the fridge to see what I have on hand.  Then if its ok for the dog, throw it on in the batch.  I even add in fish oils.

Once you do some research and learn and add some bone in, it can really become less expensive and less borning then plain old kibble!  Have fun, and hope Mr. Maverick enjoys it, PM me if you need anything:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts