Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to a breeder (no I'm not looking for a new pup) who feeds raw about feeding raw. She said that she strongly advises people not to feed chicken legs. She feeds chicken backs instead. She said she does know of several boxer owners who've had issues feeding legs, some of which required surgery. Needless to say, I'm thinking of switching to backs now. I've been feeding legs with no problems at all for the past year, but I'm all about preventing issues whenever possible.

My question is, who feeds chicken backs here? Do you feel they're better/healthier than legs? Are they meatier? On average, how much does a single chicken back weigh? Just trying to get a feel for how fast I'd go through a case.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I feed both. Right now with the raw order I got backs and turkey necks. He gets one for breakfast and the other for dinner. I also throw in some organ meat and other ground "filler" (beef, pork, heart etc).

The backs I received seemed fattier than at the grocery store. There's very little meat from what I can tell on them. It's mostly skin/fat. However by all the bone/fat in a back an all the muscle in a neck it really balances out well for Wyatt

My backs range anywhere from 8 oz. to 15 oz. anything over 13 oz bags I mark with how big they are and grab a small bag of something else for that days meal to equal what or about what he should have. I think in a 40 lb box of bags I had like 46 of them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
I think it's personal preference. I have never had issues with feeding legs. I actually prefer them over backs.

Backs are stripped of most meat, they are to bone dense for my liking. Legs have a higher meat to bone ratio :)

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
isnt there a dangerous bone in chicken legs?

very pointy one?

I prefer backs and necks

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blaaaaaahh!!!! :crazyeye:

This whole feeding raw thing is enough to make one's head spin!! LOLKari you're saying there's a better bone to meat ratio legs, but this other breeder (who is also reputable) is saying it's better in backs. She also said that the legs are weight bearing bones (which make sense to me since they're legs afterall) and that they're too dense for her liking and that she knows several boxers who've needed surgery after eating them.

I haven't had a problem with legs either, but I know she also knows a lot of boxer people too and it worries me that she's heard of issues from legs.

What to do... what to do... :dontgetit:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I also prefer legs over backs. The backs have much more bone and Rosco has painful poops are eating backs usually so I try to feed backs after feeding organ. But I would like to now feed larger. Like the whole chicken, and then it doesn't bother them as much.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
There is barely any meat on backs. Backs are what I recommend if you get loose poops cause they are mostly bone.

If you are concerned about the density of a chicken leg bone, think about purchasing a quality meat grinder.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Mandy you could buy a package at the market and see how they are. The packages here usually come 4 to a pack at .99/lb in the market. That way you can see if you like feeding them, see I they even like them and you can try to balance out their meals properly.

Wyatt doesn't have issues with chicken legs just turkey legs. He can't seem to digest the end knuckle looking part. Every time he had one was when he would throw up at night. I'd wake up at 1-4 am to him puking and lone behold an end part of his turkey leg:-( I quit feeding him the turkey legs altogether.

·
Registered
597 Posts
We feed both. Usually buy leg quarters with back attached and usually separate the drumstick portion from the rest right now to get closer to the weight per meal that we feed. We are feeding three meals a day since he is still a pup and the whole leg quarter is too large right now. Haven't had any issues with either back or leg portion.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not going to bother getting a grinder. I had thought about that a while back, but would rather let them do the "hard work". :)

What about martinc's questions regarding their being a dangerous bone in the leg? I've never had a problem with them before but I have that little seed of doubt that was planted now.

I think for now I'll stick with the legs. It's either that or I'll have to buy more meat to add to their chicken backs so it's not too much bone.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
No idea what he is talking about. Unless you grind everything there will always be risk of choking, obstructions or perforations. These risks are low but they will always be there.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That and the "support" we get from our vets doesn't help either. :roll:
That's a big part too. After our first visit with our pup he made us very worried about feeding raw since we only had Sid for 2 days at that time and were extremely new to feeding raw. Since then we have found a new vet who tolerates raw and does not push any foods or treats on us because she knows we will not consider kibble. Sid is doing great on raw and now that we are a couple months more experienced we are very comfortable with his diet.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are two vets in the clinic where I go. The older one, the one who owns the place, is cool with me feeding raw. She's doesn't really outwardly support it, but she knows I feed it and doesn't try to push me away from it. The newer vet, who I'm never going to see again, does not like it and scared the hell out of me earlier this year. Abby was having issues getting sick and having loose stools so I brought her in and she tested positive for coccidia. The vet called and said it was neospora caused by raw beef. I had a 2nd opinion done with a different hospital and they said it was coccidia. The only good thing I learned through that ordeal is that dogs "can" get neospora from raw beef, but freezing the beef for 24 hours kills it so as a precaution I now freeze beef prior to feeding it.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Numa started barfing up 1/2 of her chicken leg bones.. Like 12 hours after I fed them.. So I stopped feeding legs and started feeding thighs instead. Seems to be working out better since there is more meat on them. Backs are too boney for my liking so I do not feed them, unless I plop down an entire chicken.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
No idea what he is talking about. Unless you grind everything there will always be risk of choking, obstructions or perforations. These risks are low but they will always be there.
The fibula (did some googling!) is a long and sharp bone that I dont like at all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is very informative information. I can't wait to read more about all of this. :) I love this forum. Such great resources. I also do not like what the vets say about what I bring up with holistic/home remedies and raw feeding. They automatically push me into the deep in and scare me. But than I get home and see all the pills they throw at you and wonder "and this is better for them". I'm going to start going to a holistic vet too. I think we know our pets the best. Glad to see so many pro-raw! It really makes me feel better about switching over :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts