Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bit of research & trying to stick within my price range, I decided to slowly switch Prada over to this brand when she arrives. Does anybody here use this brand? I've been given good reviews at another Boxer board I participate in, but nobody uses it personally. I'm torn a bit between it & Canidae, since I've heard this brand is exceptional for Boxers. But I'm also not sure about the cost of Canidae & as to whether or not this brand would be feasible to me. Though I want to feed her the best food possible, I also don't want to break the bank doing so. Many of the better quality brands are, unfortunately for me, rather expensive.

Any comments would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
There are a bunch of excellent quality foods to choose from. As far as the Chicken Soup goes, I've never fed it, but I've heard some dogs love it, some dogs don't. It may take you a few tries of food to see which works best for your dog. I actually change foods about every 5-6 months to avoid boredom, and difference in nutrition. Right now I am feeding Solid Gold,(Hund-N-Flocken) and Maddie loves it. A lot of these companies will send free samples so it might be worth checking out their websites. Good Luck in the food search.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I personally have not used the food nor have i ever used Canidae. We bought Blue Buffalo for Chloe, and i plan to use it for the next pup as well. Chloe loved the food and it is an afforadable price. The vet she went to actually tried talking me out of using it becuase he said that it wasnt his preference to feed animals. Of course he fed his dogs Purina, and that was all his clinic sold as well-so i didnt take much stock in what he said. I will be finding a new vet once i get my new pup though. Anyway...now that i got off subject.....not sure what your price range is but the Blue Buffalo is about $20 for a 15lb bag here in Texas.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ive fed Chicken Soup and although its a great food she didnt like it at all! Ive also fed Wellness(which gave her the runs), Nutro Ultra(agains the runs), SD(bad food I know lol) Natural Balance(She did great on but I wanted to switch) So I currently feed Canidae ALS(all life stages) she loves it and no more runs, nice coat ect ect.

As for the price Chicken Soup and Canidae are about the same! Canidae is an all life stage dog food so its safe for puppies to eat! Better to have them on adult food then puppy due to how Boxers grow! Puppy food tends to have too much protien in it and so the pup grows faster then their joints and it could cause some problems down the line!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, everyone!

Roxy :: Thanks & yes, I'm seriously interested in feeding her, Canidae - I've heard nothing but good things & the supplier I go through also sells it. So, that will probably be what I end up feeding her. I wish I stuck to my guns & bought it in the first place. Damn brain! *haha* I over-think things way too much!! Well, I guess we'll wait & see... if she doesn't like it, I'll purchase Canidae ALS. Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We just switched over to Chicken Soup from Canidae.  We were having issues with shedding and decided to try switching foods to see if that would make a difference.  Charlie's coat looks great but he is constantly shedding.  As far as cost, I figure we pay $1/lb to get good quality food.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Honey first you should start your own thread just because you will get more answers!

Ive heard that Eukanuba isnt a good food! Never heard of the other stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts