Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been feeding Chicken Soup to Charlie now for around 2 to 3 months.  We switched from Canidae because he was having problems with shedding.  Right after the switch his coat began to look better and the shedding stopped.  Well 3 times within a week he hasn't eaten breakfast.  I've made a point to make sure he's used the bathroom so that couldn't be an issue.  He's even come into the kitchen and looked at the food, then he'll go lay back down.  Charlie has always been a good eater and he loves food.  I hate to switch his food especially with all the recalls that are going on.  Do dogs go through a phase where they may not eat as much?  Charlie is 13 months old!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
They do go through growth spurts where they will eat more. Are you free feeding? I was going to suggest putting his food bowl down in the morning for just 15 minutes. If he doesn't touch it, pick it up and don't offer him food again until dinner time. Do the same thing at dinner. He will learn that if he doesn't eat when the food is offered, he will have to wait until the next meal.
If you are free feeding he knows he can just go by his food bowl and graze anytime he wants.
Maddie does this about twice a week where she will not eat. Who knows, maybe they have a belly ache!  :eh:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We usually put the food down in the morning while we are getting ready for work.  Typically he'll eat within 5 minutes.  His food has been picked up and he'll go without until dinner tonight.  It just worries me because he has never turned down food!  I hate to even think about switching foods right now with all the recalls!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If you are really worried then by all means take him to the vet!! But my girl went through a not eating in the morning phase when she was around a year old!! I wouldnt worry too much unless he gets sick like the "runs" vommiting ect. They always say dogs wont starve themselves! Try mixing something in it like yoghurt?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Oh yeah I wanted to add about the recall thing!! It is very scarey and almost to the point people are going to want to make their own dog food lol I have in the past with much success! Some kind of stew recipe I used! It was quite easy and fairly inexpenssive! It was about $50 for all the ingredients but it lasted a month or so! Now she just gets it like everyother day! But anyways my point is they actually recalled the VENISON formula of NATURAL BALANCE!! Now tell me that isnt scarey! Its suppose to be a high quality food!! And to think thats what I was feeding Roxy a couple months ago!!!!!!!! 8O

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lady we got Charlie from was feeding him Ol Roy.  We switched him to Purina Puppy Chow.  We found out about a month later about how crappy that was and switched him to Canidae.  If it wasn't for the shedding issue he would still be eating Canidae.  He didn't have any problems with the Chicken Soup until last week.  Today at lunch he did have the trots but it hasn't been persistant.  If it continues I'll take him to the vets I guess!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Chloe just started the "I'm not eating" thing too.  But she goes through phases - she won't eat much for a few days and then she eats like she's starving for a few days.  Is yours losing weight?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly don't know if he's losing weight.  I tried to weigh him the other night but my scale can't handle me and him.  I need to try again.  I weigh 213lbs. so that would mean that he's 87lbs. or higher.  I honestly don't think he is but he appears healthy so I'm guessing it's just a phase.  It just worries me because he's never had any issues with not wanting to eat.  Neither have I  :D !

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
LOL Just keep an eye on him! Im sure he is just fine!! The weather change could also have soemthing to do with it!

·
Registered
491 Posts
My dogs go through stages also.  Somedays Gunnar won't hardly touch a thing, the next he's eating everything in site.  Vet says it's just growth spurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts