Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm pretty sure we're gettin another boxer.  We fed Charlie Canidae up until 3 months or so ago.  Should we feed the new pup the regular puppy formula?  They've got a puppy formula for large breeds but I personally feed that boxers are medium sized.  I doubt we could feed him the regular Chicken Soup because I'm sure the puppy formula has some nutrients that she could use.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Acutally...you dont have to have a puppy formula. Most puppy formulas have too much protien. We feed Reese the same thing we feed Savannah. I agree with no large breed-boxers are classified as a medium breed so why feed a medium breed dog a large breed food? :wink:

·
Registered
74 Posts
better look into the chicken soup dog and cat foods are on a recall list for the rice protein. You should check the FDA web site it has all the most current pet food recalls. Even some of the very high end people grade dog foods.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Boxers are technically a medium sized breed, however large breed foods were formulated to encourage slower and more even growth. With fast growth we see more joint and developmental issues. Dog Food manufacturers consider any dog over 50 lbs to be large breed.
It is thought that high protein diets can contribute to joint and development issues with puppies. Puppy formulas tend to have more protein and fat in them which can promote faster growth in puppies leading to some of these joint problems and issues later on.
The large breed puppy foods are formulated to help slow down the growth.
I personally just have always avoided puppy formulas.
I would feed an "all stages" food from the start, somewhere between 22% - 27% protein.
Canidae and Chicken Soup are both excellent foods. If it were me I would just start the pup on whatever you are feeding Charlie now.... The Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul is an excellent brand. That way you don't have to worry about buying two different foods and you can feed the same thing and hope the new pup does well on the same food as Charlie.
Good Luck with the new little one, and be sure to post some pics!  :)

Lisa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts