Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have chickens?  How do your boxers do with them?  I *think* my doggies would do fine with some chickens around (especially if hand-raised in the house from tiny chicks), but wanted to hear any experiences y'all had to share.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Jetta was fine with my parents chickens, but she was around them since she was just a pup!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
We dont have any here at the house.....But, my mom has some and when we visit, Fiona is scared of them.  She is a big "chicken" herself!  
I would think with training and socialization to them that anything is possible!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My in-laws have a few chickens. When Diesel was a pup, he went up to one to check it out, and the chicken pecked him in the nose. He just sat down and thought about it for a minute, but the next time we saw the chickens he tried to chase one around.

I guess it just depends on the experience they have with the chickens!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You probably would do best if you started in the house with them so the dogs were used to the chicks but I don't think I would trust them home alone with them unless the chicks were locked in another room.  You can teach dogs to accept others into the pack but it doesn't always work and doesn take some effort.  I had trouble with mine and cats.

Nano

1 - 6 of 6 Posts