Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know where to post this... but I have a question / concern... Maybe some advice would help..

As most of you know we just took on a foster. Chief has been so good with her and since she got here they have established the pecking order with Chief being top dog. Petunia ( the foster ) still sees it that way but Chief is starting to give way to her and I can't figure out why.

For example he'll be laying in his bed and she'll just walk over to him and he'll get up to give her the bed. When they play, they'll wrestle and stuff but Chief will always put her in her place if she gets out of line. However, more and more he'll back away from her not being the "alpha or top dog" that he should be.

There are no agression issues, and she absolutely adores him but he is letting her get away with too much such as taking treats right out of his mouth and things like that....

Should I be concerned or just let it play out?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of let it play out....  Petunia is great... she's a little bruiser... Not aggressive or anything... just a handful...

Chief just at times seems to act a little timid. - He naturally is paternal and gives way to any dog younger or female.... This goes on at the dog parks and with any dog he comes in contact with. - To a point I just want to make sure he's not being "TOO" nice...  you know what I mean...

Could just be a guy thing.... lololololololol

Grammie, thanks for the thoughts!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would let it play out and see what happens.  I find the males more laid back then the females, at least that is true with my two.  Kiah is the alpha (kinda of) of the two but she defers to him sometimes.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Its girl powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...! I'm gonna let it play out and see what happens.... :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't have any sage advice for you, but I'd just like to compliment you on your beautiful pups.  What rescue organization do you foster through?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the compliments!!! :D

We got her from a woman that volunteers with 15 different rescue organizations. This particular dog crossed her path as she's in school to become a vet tech and was responsible for Petunia's care when she came in so she took her on.

We crossed this woman's path at a local Petco and I/we were compelled to help...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so today - the gentlemen got into a full fight with his girl... neither one walked away without damage ( some scratches each ).. not quite sure how it happenned but whatever the case, they faught it out - first time they've actually gotten aggressive towards eachother....

I guess we'll see how it plays out in the coming hours.  Cross your fingers for Chief!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, without seeing what started it, you will just have to see how things play out...Samson & Angel never had any issues that got to that extreme...I've even noticed that Flick had tried to eat out of both of their bowls and it doesn't phase them at all....Hoping things are starting to settle down now for all of you

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hopefully that settled it between them and there is nothing more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok things are settling down but there are affected results for Chief......

1 - He is now scared of her.

2 - She is now becoming food aggressive towards him.

I had to crate her and stand next to the food bowl so he would eat.

I'm only hoping that I can handle this....  I feel like "What have I done to Chief... " - He's acting like a scared little child moving from her when she walks by, not eating when she's out of the crate...

I feel like a bad parent... lol ( half kidding )...

I guess I have to let it play out, keep working on the training with both of them and hope that Chief can mentally recover from this ordeal today.

Keep your fingers crossed......

G

·
0 Posts
poor chief!  until i am sure that mine or a foster will not be aggressive with food, i put the fosters food bowl inside the crate with the door open.  vetty always has to go see what they have, since miss piggy always thinks i'm holding out on her  :roll:

i figure it's better than tempting them to get into trouble.

how long has petunia been with you?  less than a week?  i've found that about the 5 day mark, they start getting pissy with each other.  i think the honeymoon is over at that point and they want a little alone time.  at least with mine - before that they are playing non-stop for days.

you can't leave them together without supervision for the first couple weeks i think.  with our first foster Bud, i'd come in the house to do something, thinking it would be ok and thor would pick a fight.

if chief is scared, keep her crated and go talk sweet to her in the crate...call chief over to smell her if you can.  if nothing else, see if he will come sit on your lap next to the crate.  he has to know that you will always protect him, and she has to learn that you are the boss of your house.  everything you give her is a privilage, so she has to be cool to get it.  she may just need a slight attitude adjustment.

like i said, they actually get sick of each other and that's usually when the fights start.  they WILL get over it.  just let chief know there is nothing wrong and try not to baby him.  like someone said, you don't know who started it.  could have been either one of them.

giving them private time and space goes a long way

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They have space and they aren't left unsupervised.  You are correct with the "honeymoon" being over. They played non-stop for the first 3 days and today all of a sudden she got food possessive.

I did figure who started it and it was Petunia....  Over an unfinished dog bone.

Over the weekend, Petunia would actually carry her bowl over to Chief to see if he wanted to eat first. Now she carry's it to him and if he even comes within 2 inches of the bowl she growls.  She's gotten comfortable here and is scared that she might be leaving I think.  She's burrying everything and hiding everything in the house and yard - including her crate. She actually picks up the blankets in there and puts her toys / treats and mouths of food under the blankets and that's the first time she's done that.

She's hoarding everything...

Chief isn't totally scared of her but she makes him nervous. He now stands right next to me when she's out the crate and he still plays with her but she gets a bit rough and nippy ( which I'm working on ) - once she nips he starts crying and runs behind me... lol

But as soon as she's back in the crate, he's like "whew....! she's gone.." lol...

I know I have my work cut out for me with her behavior and I'm sure in a few weeks, she'll be much better!

Pardon my last post, was just freaking out a bit.. lol...

Again, thank you for your support and help!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! - Justin

G

·
0 Posts
hi justin.  sounds like you have it all under control. one of my earlier posts about my white rescue was aggression over the very same thing with thor and vetty = over a bone.  as someone on that thread said, it's a high value treat so you have to use caution and keep them seperated.

i think they'll get over it.  petunia is probably feeling very insecure right now thinking she will be punished over the fight.  not knowing where she came from with rescues, there's no telling what abuse she may have endured.

just keep building the trust with her.  baby girl here has been burying bones too!  i think it's natural to want to defend their prize.  that day after thor and vetty got snippy with her over the bones, they all disappeared.  lol i watched star dig one up the next day  :rofl:

since chief is afraid of her, maybe just let her use the crate for her little toy hidey hole until she feels more secure.  aggression is usually a sign of fear and uncertainty.

you'll do fine!!  hope chief doesn't take it personal for too long.  mine have been around all kinds of dogs and they're feelings have survived intact.  he'll be ok.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Grammie I can't thank you enough for all of the kind words, encouragement and support!! - We'll make it...!  Chief has already started to get tougher with during play and whatnot.  It seems as though he's making "His Stance!" I've also been giving them separate time out of the house to reassure Chief that he's still top dog and so that I/we can bond a bit better with Petunia.

I've been feeding her in her crate and giving her treats in her crate and there is a difference already.

Obedience commands she's picking up pretty quickly.... But again - still have alot of work to do...!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts