Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has been trying to convince me to get her a puppy. Well that isnt going to happen anytime soon. I would be insane to add another dog to the mix, but one day i do see me getting a dog for her. Yes after my brother moves out and Marxx is no longer here :D We stopped at my local shelter today to talk to animal control about the city license and they were holding an adoption. There was a really beautiful black and tan weenie dog (the kind of dog my daughter wants!) and she tried sooooo hard to convince me to take him home right then. So once she threw her fit over not getting him, on the ride home we discussed doing something to show that she could be responsible for a dog. I have been thinking about giving her the responsibility of taking care of one of the girls. Probably savannah cause she is a little better behaved, but i am not sure yet. Reese is behaved, but she doesnt listen all the time. Anyway....my daughter would be responsible for the feeding and watering, taking her on the walks when we go, and making sure that she gets let out. Now i know that she is a child and wont always be there to let her out to go potty, which i am ok with...she is only 7 after all. I do think though with the food, water and walks that will give me a good idea on how much she would be dedicated to a puppy. Any ideas on this? Does anyone have a child that has certain responsibilities with the animals? Anyone think it is too much for her.....just the food, water, and walking?

****Edited to say**** Savannah is very well behaved when it comes to walking, which is why she is my first choice. she never pulls and walks right by your side. If my daughter goes on the walks with me, she typically walks savannah. Dont want anyone thinking i was going to make her walk this 50lb pound animal that would drag her along :lol:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
omg lol... when i was little i would draft up little presentations for my parents on why i should get my own puppy... though i never got one but my other presentations for other animals worked lol

i feel like if she got a small dog she could handle it but not a boxer lol... dungy is my first dog on my own and i give my parents soooo much credit to get through the puppy and growing stage.  It would be easier for her cuz she doesnt have to do the harder stuff.  BASICALLY if she was like me at 7, she could do it lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think it is a great idea! If she can handle the care of Savannah then great, you know she is ready for a pup of her own. If she can not, you know she is not ready for a dog of her own and you can try again later.

G

·
0 Posts
my mother was very wise when my sister wanted a bunny.  She knew that at 7, kids lose interest in caring for animals very quickly.  She made my sister wait until 10 years old before allowing her to get the bunny.  10 is a much better age for kids, they comprehend more, and are much more mature than at 7.  If she can care for Savvy and doesn't lose interest by age 10, then maybe I personally would let her have one.  I don't think that's too much, the puppy will live 10+ years hopefully.  This age goal gives her 3 years, if she can't care for a dog for 3 years how will she as a teenager care for a dog for 10+ years?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Madison helps me feed and water Fiona and also takes her out in the yard for "play time".  I dont let her walk Fiona on leash because if Fiona decided to bolt, she could not stop her....But, she will take her outside and throw the ball and have play time....This is not because she wants another dog, it is because she promised to help if we got Fiona...Now we have had Fiona over a year and she is still helping....She refuses to pick up dog poop or dog puke...everything else she helps with :)  Madison is six!

Weenie Dogs are great and a handfull too!!!!  I am dog sitting one now and I am soooooo thankful it is going home tomorrow :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
haha weenie dogs are cute. I always look at them and say...ouch you must have a back ache...strange i know. I think it is a great idea andrea. I dont think it necessarily has to be for years and years either, as you said once marxx is gone then you can  see how her progress has been and decide if she can have one or should keep working for it. I personally think children should help with pets because it teaches them responsibility. hope it all works out.

G

·
0 Posts
I think its a good idea.  I never had a dog when i was younger.  My parents didn't think I would take care of it...   they were probably right    :)

We got our first dog when I was about 19...  Bridgette who is a WEENIE DOG!  I BEGGED for her.  My parents made my sister and I do all the work with her.  She is 7 years old now and lives with my parents.  My mom got more attached to her than us, so when I moved out Brigette stayed with her.  

I think a small dog is a great way to start.  Dachshunds (spell?) are fairly low maintenance.  You don't have to get all the grooming done and there is no way they can drag you on a leash.  Haha.

Having your daughter prove herself with Savannah is a great idea.  She may quickly see how much work it is and change her mind OR she may do a TERRIFIC job.  Only one way to find out!  Good luck!   :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree that weenie dogs are a handful.  They are all the rage with people now but they can really have some bad attitudes and can be prone to nipping.  This is what I have seen with the many I have been around.  They need to be trained and aren't couch potatoes and they wouldn't be my first choice for a child's dog.  

I think it would be wonderful that you make her learn responsibility with starting out helping.  Try to get her to do the full gamut if you can, poop, puke etc.  It's part of the deal although you might not get that one done!  Hah!  Good for you for not giving into her fit, I'm sure it wasn't easy.  There is a good book out there by Carole Benjamin specifically for kids about training and having a dog.  Check it out for her.  It was at Barnes and Nobles one time I looked.

Nano

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'd pile on more chores! lol
My daughter will be 5 in just a few weeks, and over the last year she's been put in charge of the main care taking of the dogs. feeding, water (it's a huge bowl, I have to help), cleaning up their toys, and helping with baths. and that's all on top of her own personal chores. like cleaning her room and all that fun stuff.
If she wasn't capable, I wouldn't have her do it. But she IS able to handle all her chores, and she loves doing them.
Although she just got bumped off food duty, for daddy since he needs to have more authority over Diesel. he's getting walked all over by him. lol

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Andrea, i think her helping with Savannah is a fantastic idea.Rachel love helping with sumya and she is only 4.i don't let Rachel walk her obviously, but she likes to put the food in the bowl get her in and out of the kennel, brush her and help with baths.i think it would be a good indicator whether or not she is ready for her own.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I think it is a great idea to have give her the responsibility.  When we were kids we had dogs and it was always up to us kids to take care of them.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I never had a dog growing up and i think its a good idea to have one if you can be responsible for one. My brother wont be moving for another year, so i figure that will give me plenty of time to see how she is.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me Andrea...We did have a Doxie as kids, but to be homest none of us took that much time with him, it was mainly my mother....I know when my sister made the decision to get a dog for her boys, she waited til they were old enuf to help, course if I remember right, they didn't much, but I think it's good for kids to have that responsibility and if Ciara can show(with time) that she realy is serious, then you may have to consider it. Course you know kids change their mind, a year from now she may want a Mastiff or something :lol:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
samsonsmom\";p=\"101282 said:
Course you know kids change their mind, a year from now she may want a Mastiff or something :lol:
Bite your tongue willow!! :lol: She has wanted a dacshund since before we had Reese, and then was VERY mad when samson came home and she still didnt get "her" dog. haha!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts