Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that choker collars are bad for Boxers. Can anybody shed some light on this issue? And what is recomended?
Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Some people say yes, some people say no.

Personally, Ares was so bad off when I got him that without one, it was inhumane.  He'd just pull and cough ... he didn't know any better.  He thought that was what a walk was.  I'd take him to the park and get 50 yards down the path and have to turn around because I was embarrassed.  My girlfriend couldn't walk him because her arm would hurt.  I got a choker collar.  Put it on him, took him for a walk...when he'd start to stray away, I'd quickly turn around, let my arm follow him, start walking the other way, then yank my arm back to my side all while looking ahead.  (Like he did that to himself for not paying attention).  By the end of that first walk, he was paying attention to ME...looking at me every 2-3 seconds or so, and walking with his head in line with my legs.

Walk are now enjoyable for BOTH OF US...he no longer gets 'yanked' except on occasion...so are they bad?  Only you can decide for yourself and for your dog.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Like deapee said, it is a personal choice.

IMO I would never use a choke collar. Some other alternatives you can look into "a humane choke collar" called martingale collar http://www.shakadoghawaii.com/Collardescriptions.html Or another option is the "gentle leader" http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=29 I have never used one of these, but have heard they are very effective. Both of these options help with pulling on a walk and keeping control of your dog.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Unless you have been trained to use one, I wouldn't do it...I actually used them on my first 2 boxers, but also found that they were totally ineffective as far as walking, they handeled much better for me with a Gentle Leader....One other thought about choke chains, I saw a dog hang himself while wearing one, and to this day I can see that image like it just happened...That is what really turned me off of them..Try a Martingale or a Gentle Leader for walking, I think you would be much happier and so will your Boxer.... :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It defidently is a personal choice, i had great experiences with it, but a girl i know her dog jumped off the porch and choked to death cause he couldnt get out. That is defidently frightening. But i do use them only for walking, other than that i leave them off.
\

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard that it can be negative for a dog. Rocky was on it since he was 3 months or so. Now hes 16 months and never pulls or anything like that maybe knowing the effects of the choker collar perhaps. Just heard that it can be bad for a dog if there is a strain around the neck/throat region?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think this topic always comes down to the person and the dog. I would not use a choker is because Boxers are a bronchial breed and it can damage them. I do recomend a pinch collar for certain dogs though. Some dogs just straight pull you on every walk, I have seen hard pullers stop almost on the spot with a German Prong collar or a Tripple Crown.

http://www.aboutdogtraining.com/panel.php?5

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
my neighbours use pinch collars instead of choke collars but their boxers are HUGE like 95lbs...if she didnt use that collar i think he would drag her across town. he doesnt pull at all with that collar and is pretty good on his walks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
RockyV\";p=\"45078 said:
I heard that it can be negative for a dog. Rocky was on it since he was 3 months or so.
I guess I'll chime in a little bit more.

I don't understand how a choker, used properly, can be considered bad for a dog.  If used properly, they maybe get yanked a few GOOD times and they're in line.  I'll agree that if used improperly, they are not only ineffective but could be dangerous.  Now don't get me wrong, I love my dog as much as the next guy (or girl) but when it comes to him doing what I want, there are only two options...do it when I say...or get made to do it.  It's a control thing, it's a dominance thing, and using a choker collar to teach your dog proper manners is very effective, safe, and should be utilized by more people than it is.

I'm tough on my little guy and I expect a lot out of him because I know he's intelligent.  All dogs want to fit in...they (most, probably 99%) don't mind fitting in last in the pack, but they gotta know where they fit in.  If you're letting him walk you, then you're giving up your lead to them.  I won't sacrifice my lead or my enjoyment of the outdoors because of a dog that doesn't know how to listen.

Anyway, either way...used properly, a choker is neither inhumane or dangerous...there is no "long-term" effects because when used properly, it's a short-term method.  If you're continually choking your dog on walks, you are using the collar ineffectively.

In other words, don't let the tail wag the dog.

·
Registered
977 Posts
This isn't a pic of my dog but i have the same harness - it tightens under the front legs when Voltaire pulls too hard. I've been using it for about 6 months now and it's GREAT. Changed our walks for the better and he doesn't suffer a bit. It gives me fantastic control too as i can really pull him close if i need to. I highly recommend :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well said deapee!

The harness thing that Caillou showed is called an anti-pull harness.  I used one with my Rocky with great success.  The choke chain collar did not work for Rocky, but the anti-pull harness was wonderful!  Rocky was half rott, half weimar and weighed 120 pounds and was the strongest dog I've ever met.  But he was a complete gentleman with that anti-pull harness.

:D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Psychologically? No, I don't think there are any long terms effects, physically, yes, it could if used for a long period of time incorrectly, especially if started at a young age when your boxer is still growing..It very easily could damage the throat....At the end of the day, if you are walking your boxer and you can't control him, it makes for an unpeasant experience for both of you, which could have long term effects....You get frustrated, your boxer gets frustrated, it's a no win situation....Samson is a dream to walk now, but I even used a Halti on him at first, which Angel now uses and walks great for me now..So we all enjoy ourselves.... :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Any collar, used incorrectly, can be damaging. With that out of the way ....

Are choke collars "bad"?  No.  Are they antiquated and based on outdated methodologies?  Yes.  Are they more often than not used improperly?  Yes.  Have they been shown to cause tracheal damage with proper, regular use?  Yes.

Do I recommend them? Not at all - but I don't recommend coercion-based training, so there would be no need for them regardless.

If you are going to train by coercion, then a prong collar is safer than a choke chain.

Any other collar - martingale, leather or nylon buckle/snap collar, even a Gentle Leader or Halti - is not meant to be used coercively (in other words, no leash corrections with these collars).  

I should note that my show dogs are shown on slip collars (same design as chokers, but lighter chain, serpentine, or nylon), because that's the proper equipment for that activity - but they are not used as correction collars.  For walking, my dogs have martingales.  They also only wear collars that are attached to a leash; never collars in the house, yard, or crate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can definitely say I have learned a lot. Mix feelings and ideas on choker collars, but very diverse. I think I will be switching over to the harness type of restraint and give up the old choker collar! Thanks for the information and ideas, it has proved very informative!

·
Registered
32 Posts
caillou\";p=\"45153 said:
This isn't a pic of my dog but i have the same harness - it tightens under the front legs when Voltaire pulls too hard. I've been using it for about 6 months now and it's GREAT. Changed our walks for the better and he doesn't suffer a bit. It gives me fantastic control too as i can really pull him close if i need to. I highly recommend :)

The only thing I like to chime in about with regards to these harnesses is that it just gives your large dog more leverage to pull you. I have seen this first hand, but some of it could be the dog. My dog just lower it's center of gravity and pull harder. Once I got a prong collar on her it was night and day, so much more pleasent for both of us.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ulrich\";p=\"45192 said:
[quote="caillou\";p=\"45153":2jrfbi73]This isn't a pic of my dog but i have the same harness - it tightens under the front legs when Voltaire pulls too hard. I've been using it for about 6 months now and it's GREAT. Changed our walks for the better and he doesn't suffer a bit. It gives me fantastic control too as i can really pull him close if i need to. I highly recommend :)

The only thing I like to chime in about with regards to these harnesses is that it just gives your large dog more leverage to pull you. I have seen this first hand, but some of it could be the dog. My dog just lower it's center of gravity and pull harder. Once I got a prong collar on her it was night and day, so much more pleasent for both of us.[/quote:2jrfbi73]
Maybe the harnesses that are fixed turn your dog into a husky pulling machine but the one i have that tightens because the leash is attached to the 2 under arm straps really works - promise :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm not a fan of choke, pinch, prong collars.  I don't mean this personally against anyone that uses them but I think they are the lazy way of training your dog.  Instead of training your dog not to pull, you put a device on the dog that may hurt them.  Training a dog not to pull can take a long time, I've worked with Lola for countless hours and she still forgets from time to time, especially if we are walking with a couple other dogs, but I wouldn't put a choke or prong collar on her.

·
Registered
243 Posts
anti-pull harness
I got my first Rescue-Boxer JayJay with a anti-pull-harness (see picture from voitaire above).
It worked gread until we met a horse, that was standing on a medow where
we had to pass directly. Without warning JayJay pulled in the harness so badly
(he was very frightend and all things he was frightened for he liked to force ...)
that it got broken. Thank goodnes that he wore a collar too, so that I could bring
him save home.
But he was hurt: The strings had made 10 cm long saddled seabreams at both
of his armpits.

But I think also choke collar or a pinch collar had made damage in such a
situation.

I prefer norwegian harnesses or harnesses that are used for service-dogs
in Germany too (K9 Power-harness). I don

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
well i dont know much about the technical stuff ..i have only used a pinch collar for one dog in my life and that was my american bully b/c he was so crazy when i got him..he was 6 months and 70 pounds...abused badly..so he'd freak out on men..but i needed to socialize him..i look back now and think i could have done it differently...the pinch had the rubber protectors on it though..i wouldnt use one without those its mean ...i used it for about 4 months..on and off..jsut to walk in public places..& then he was fine..i think it wasnt the collar it was more that he needed to learn to trust..thats all..i wouldnt use one again i dont think its necessary...with him i was more worried he was going to hurt himself b/c hed get so upset..he learned quickly that he was loved and could trust..and he got over all of it ..turning into the sweetest teddy bear of a dog...at 110 pounds haha..

as far as the chain chokes..i do have 2 for the dogs...i use them for the beach..b/c i dont want their nice nylon collars ruined by the salt water..but i want them to have id tags on at all times just in case...the collars are both big...they dont need them as far as walking on leash..i jsut thought it was a simple solution to the salt water..

to walk on leash..Isis has a nylon and chain collar not sure what you call it..Lilly has the same one in red...but the nylon is what goes around the neck..the chain is small and where the leash connects...& a halter to match..

they both have sea turtle nylon collars for everyday...it jsut depends on where we are going and what we are doing...i have id tags on all their collars and leashes...Isis IS deaf and you never know...although she doesnt pull or try to run off..im not taking any chances...they are both chipped also..

my hubby laughs b/c at home they have nothing on their necks..he thinks i have some sort of weird thing about buying new collars and leashes..if i buy a collar its gotta have a matching leash and its gotta be cute lol..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts