Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!   We've decided to put Lola in training classes and have contacted a guy that came highly recommened from several boxer owners that I know.  My boyfriend spoke with him today and we have a meeting next Tuesday to see if Lola is ready yet.  He's asked that we purchase a choking collar and get her used to it.  Now I'm having second thoughts.  "Choking collar" just sounds mean.  Has anyone ever used one before?

·
Registered
616 Posts
We use a prong collar when we take ours to Petsmart.  Only because they get so excited they pull too much.  We did have to use them for a week or two when training them to walk on the leash.  Once they understood not to pull, we didn't have to use them anymore.  They also only pinch not choke.  There is a point where the prong collar where it stops pinching so it doesn't gouge their necks.  I would not suggest a choke collar simply because both of mine would choke themselves out with one.  They never learned to stop pulling with one.  I hated it and refused to use it after the first day.  I would ask the trainer if there is some other type of collar that you can use other than a choke collar.  Hope your training goes well!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe a modified choke would be best - like one with a section that contracts but doesn't actually allow them to choke themselves.  Chloe has one of those on most of the time - it keeps them from wriggling out of the collar.  You can see one here GRIP COLLAR

You may want to ask the trainer about the methods they use and make sure that you agree with the trainer.  There is no point in paying some one hundreds of dollars if you are uncomfortable on how they train your dog.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Exactly.  Obviously this trainer uses leash corrections (pops, jerks, whatever) - if you don't want to train with force and compulsion, a different trainer is probably your best bet.  

As a side note, and not knowing how old Lola is, I'll just mention that while I don't recommend choke or correction collars at all, I have extreme issues with them being used on puppies.  There's simply no reason for it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Has anyone tried the 'Halti' collar? The one that has a strap over the nose that turns their heads if they pull? I haven't tried it but i'm tempted because apparently after a couple of weeks you can go back to a normal collar and they have got used to not pulling. Is this true? Has anyone tried it? I'm using one of those pull out 6 meter leashes to save my arms :roll: .

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lola will be 14 weeks this Wednesday.  I too agree with not using a choking collar on a puppy or any age dog for that matter, seems so cruel, but I've never trained a puppy before or had a boxer so I'm just going on advice of others & books.  She won't go into training until he feels she's ready and old enough.  That's why we're going in for a meeting session.  I just don't know where else to go.  I was told that the training classes at PetSmart & PetCo were not any good.  I guess I can research around more.  This trainer just came highly recommended by several people....but I believe they brought their boxers to him when they were over 1 yrs old.  I'll go to the meeting and if I'm uncomfortable then I won't bring her back.  There's no way I'm going to be able to train/watch her be trained if I'm uncomfortable with what he's doing.  No worries...I will protect my little Lola  :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks for that - i'll look into it as soon as possible. It's only a real problem when i'm in town (where he gets a bit nervy). Or when i'm wearing heels - he gets the better of me  :oops:  so your solution sounds great.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I don't know about PetCo training; these days many PetsMart trainers are actually quite good.  I advise observing a class or two - for any trainer - before you decide whether or not to use them; that way you have a better chance of avoiding nasty 'surprises', like harsh corrections.  Plus you can see how the trainer addresses specific issues and individuals, and whether the students are getting the help they need.  (When it comes down to it, training classes are meant to teach you to teach your dog - so the human partner needs to be getting information they can use!)

Haltis/Gentle Leaders are training tools, just like chokers or prongs, though they are not meant to be used for giving corrections.  As with any tool, you still need to teach the dog the desired behavior, so that you don't have to rely on the Halti (or collar, or lure, or target) for the rest of the dog's life.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We use a choke collar for Savannah, but not for Reese-she is way too young. I havent used one prior to Savvy, but the breeder we got her from was using it since she had figured out how to get out of the gentle leader off, and she will pull out of a regular collar. She doesnt ever pull it hard enough to choke/pinch though unless she sees a cat or bird. At those times i think the collar is a godsend because my dog would be off like a rocket running through the neighborhood, while i stood there with leash and collar in hand.  :D  Reese is getting used to the regular collar and not liking it one bit! she flips out when we leash her for her walks. it is so funny.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If your concern is slipping out of the collar, and you aren't giving leash corrections, you could use a limited-slip or martingale collar; these will tighten so that the dog can't slip out of them, but won't tighten enough to choke the dog.  I use the Lupine combo collars:
http://www.lupinepet.com/dog/med_dog.php

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've just ordered a harness that tightens under the legs (i think) when the dog pulls too hard on his leash. Hope i haven't made a mistake - maybe i've been a bit quick because the photo in the description was of a boxer :?  :roll: . I really hope i haven't messed up. I'm just a bit worried Voltaire will go ballistic with the halti collar on his face. And also that i'd have to stick with it always because h'd get back into pulling as soon as i switch back to the normal one. It looks like this...
http://www.polytrans.fr/zoom_produit.php?visuel=502079

1 - 13 of 13 Posts