Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few days, Sophie has been making a funny noise every once in a while. It's not always at the same times either, sometimes before eating, sometimes after, same with drinking and playing, there doesn't seem to be an actual incident that causes this that I can tell.

She starts making a gagging type of noise like she's having trouble breathing or choking on something. The first night I was freaked out and grabbed my flashlight and looked in her mouth and down her throat to find nothing. She did it again the next night so I opened her mouth and put my finger in there to see if there was anything and again nothing, even back in her throat. Now the last few times I just open her mouth for her and it seems to stop. Could it be that she starts choking on her own tongue? I know she has allergies already and sneezes here and there, along with rubbing her eyes sometimes, which I'm going to give her allergy meds for, but I didn't know if the gagging was related or not. Sometimes it almost sounds like indigestion or trying to swallow, but I just don't know for sure. And it's not all the time either, so it's hard to take her to the vet for if I don't know if she's even going to be doing it.

What do you guys think? She's 5 months old today, and I'm feeding chicken soup for the puppy lover's soul, with a spoon of alpo puppy wet food mixed in. She's been a very picky eater, so I think i'm going to try grabbing some TOTW for her to start mixing in today. That seems like it sounds good for dogs with sensitive stomachs anyways.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm...could it be a reverse sneeze? Here's a short video to help you decipher if it is or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

If it is reverse sneezing, it is fairly common in boxers, nothing to worry about really, although it does sound alarming. 8O Allergies can definitely bring on the reverse sneezing.

G

·
0 Posts
never knew what that was called!! Mine do that...the Dalmatians do it alot!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I can't watch the video yet since I'm at work, but I did do a quick google search on reverse sneezing, and that sounds exactly like what it is. I'm having my wife pick up some allergy pills on the way home so hopefully that will help out a bit.

Thank you for the quick replies! I was worried sick :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the last few days, Sophie has been making a funny noise every once in a while. It's not always at the same times either, sometimes before eating, sometimes after, same with drinking and playing, there doesn't seem to be an actual incident that causes this that I can tell.

She starts making a gagging type of noise like she's having trouble breathing or choking on something. The first night I was freaked out and grabbed my flashlight and looked in her mouth and down her throat to find nothing. She did it again the next night so I opened her mouth and put my finger in there to see if there was anything and again nothing, even back in her throat. Now the last few times I just open her mouth for her and it seems to stop. Could it be that she starts choking on her own tongue? I know she has allergies already and sneezes here and there, along with rubbing her eyes sometimes, which I'm going to give her allergy meds for, but I didn't know if the gagging was related or not. Sometimes it almost sounds like indigestion or trying to swallow, but I just don't know for sure. And it's not all the time either, so it's hard to take her to the vet for if I don't know if she's even going to be doing it.

What do you guys think? She's 5 months old today, and I'm feeding chicken soup for the puppy lover's soul, with a spoon of alpo puppy wet food mixed in. She's been a very picky eater, so I think i'm going to try grabbing some TOTW for her to start mixing in today. That seems like it sounds good for dogs with sensitive stomachs anyways.
Hi I dont own a boxer but was looking up online same issue in our Lab and fept xompelled to make an account ugh just to reply. Holistic Vet told us chicken protein is one of the largest issues for allergies in dogs. The Lab also has those. She advised Croc, Turkey, Rabbit & Roo. All non blood warming meats, no red if possible. Hope that helps. Kind regards.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Our girl is allergic to Chicken, and its somewhat common with Boxers. It took almost 2 months for everything to clear up after changing her food, so if you do change her food it may take some time before the issues clear up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Diesel had a bout with that but only one night, we happened to be in a hotel room that night and it really smelled of cleaning stuff we don't normally use. I always wondered if it would become a habitual thing but I really think it was the weird cleaning stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts