Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few comments on this subject.  One was in a thread regarding dogs eating eggs cooked/raw/with shell (which is all fine) and the other was in a thread of foods and I think sugar content of food.  

Dogs do not get the athlerosclerosis (cholesterol plaque) problems that people get.  

On having a health panel done sometimes it will post a cholesterol level score but this is testing(fat for) thyroid. If the numbers are over 350 the ratio always indicated hypothyroidism in dogs.

So the answer is that No dogs do not have high cholesterol!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Once again, Thank You Sharon for clearing up that issue!  :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks Sharon.  So the main reason you don't want to feed too many eggs is because they are so high in fat??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Raw Eggs -- Eggs are very good for dogs. In fact, they are the most concentrated, valuable form of protein that a dog can get , as long as they are cooked. Apparently, raw egg whites bind to the biotin that a dog ingests and prevents it from being absorbed. Cooked eggs do not do this.
If you do feed eggs, it should not be more than 1 per pound of food.

·
Registered
75 Posts
from what our vet says & most of what I have read raw eggs isn't to cool for dogs.I now the vets on here say its perfectly ok....but thats each to his/her own.

Our vet may just tell us this as precautions (as he is my paw paw)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Most vets are not very well versed in nutrition. It is not a big part of their training. Not to say some are not up on iy but most are not. Do you really think dogs in the wild cook their eggs? Their is no difference between today's dogs digestive makup and that of their ancestors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bumpy\";p=\"49955 said:
Most vets are not very well versed in nutrition. It is not a big part of their training. Not to say some are not up on iy but most are not. Do you really think dogs in the wild cook their eggs? Their is no difference between today's dogs digestive makup and that of their ancestors.
I disagree with that staement......as we all know how dogs as been breed & breed & breed and some of the stuff our dogs does or is ....is nothn compared to our ancesters many many years ago.For 1 why do we see some our our dogs big...some little......some can eat certain things that others cant.

So I would not say our dogs genes or digestive track or immune system is same as their ancestors.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do some reading, it has been proven. The reason dogs have so much trouble with foods today is due to the advent of processed kibble. They were not designed to eat this and were not designed to eat the same thing day in day out thus creating allergies.  

I would agree that no one should feed raw eggs with kibble. The kibble takes far to long to digest and will help the egg to stick around giving more possibility of picking up a bad bug.
 Dogs have changed in form......for sure, but it is proven their digestive system is still the same as it was years ago. Dogs have only started to have all these food issues in the last 30 years or so...... Hmmm thats about the same time the dog food industry exploded.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Dogs in the wild feed like their ancestors - off the land.   Its only because the human has domesticated them, fed them kibble and changed their diet.   If the dog was in the wild, hunting for food and that was the only food available, then it would adapt.    

A starving abandoned dog is not going to pass up roadkill seeking for a bowl of kibble.   They will eat what is available, and their stomach are designed for it.   A cat can eat a mouse and still be fine too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I will add one thing though. It is NOT a good idea to feed RAW eggs or other raw items to a dog with a compromized immune system. But for a healthy dog, it is all natural. Every dog I have seen on it is thriving and rarely suffers from any of the problems that plague strictly processed kibble fed dogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts